Thursday, August 12, 2010

13 down, 1 to go. (I am home)

Day 114 - 8/12/10
Although that title is a day late, it is no less appropriate or meaningful. I do only have one state left, my home state, and that is a good feeling. I woke up around 6, a bit too early, so I tried to get in another hour of sleep. When I was up and moving around 7:15 I packed up, then cooked up breakfast with the others. I had an interesting one, putting a scoop of peanut butter and Nutella into my oatmeal. It almost tasted like a no-bake cookie, but not as good. I might do it again in the future, we'll see.

I thought I was a little farther along than I really was yesterday, so I didn't come to the brook until about a half mile. It was a 500 foot climb in that stretch, pretty steep, and that wasn't even going up the arm. The Mahoosuc Arm was another mile and 1000 feet up. It was a tough morning to say the least. I made it to the top around 9:45 and was rewarded with some decent views of the Whites. You could easily see Mt. Washington in the distance. From there it was down to Speck Pond Shelter, a nice little location next to the highest body of water in Maine, Speck Pond. It's right around 3500 feet above sea level, a very nice looking pond. I actually learned all this from The Crusher. You must think it's pretty sad that a French Canadian was schooling me on Maine geography, but growing up he went to summer camp here every year and has hiked most of the AT in Maine because of this. I actually witnessed him become a 2000-miler because the only Maine section he hadn't completed was from route 2 in Gorham to Speck Pond Shelter. If you add what he had done in years past to the rest of the trail he's hiked this year then he's done the whole thing. He could stop now if he wanted, but to be a thru-hiker and do it in one season he has to keep going to Katahdin. Must've been an exciting day for him nonetheless.

I only took a quick break there, then busted out the rest of the 4+ miles to Grafton Notch so that I could meet my Dad as early as possible. I made it down there around 12:30, and we hung around a bit talking to a few other thru's that were down there, Rocket and Fynias. Dad also brought Toby (our dog) along so it was awesome to see him. He was hanging out in the back of the truck while we talked to the others. After a bit we headed over to Pat's Pizza in Bethel and had some lunch, a couple pepperoni pies. I love Pat's, really hit the spot. We left sufficiently stuffed and went to a rest area where I took a nap in the truck while Dad sat outside lounging in a lawn chair in the sun. We didn't get back to the trail until around 4:30. As I was prepping to leave I wasn't feeling great, very tired because I've been getting terrible sleep, and just plain exhausted from the past few days of tough hiking. I think my Dad sensed this and suggested I could come home, rest up, shower, clean my clothes, etc. and after debating it in my mind I decided that sounded like a good idea. We drove back to Harrison so I could do all the above.

After showering, laundry, and some rest on the couch we drove down to the store and I bought some goodies, Ben & Jerry's, Cape Cod chips, and a throwback Dr. Pepper made with real sugar. Basically the day turned into a nice relaxing nearo, which I think I needed. We got home and the Patriot's pre-season game against the Saints was on, so I even got to squeeze in some of that. Really glad I came home, but tomorrow it's back to the trail very early to make some miles and get more of Maine under my belt. Had a good day with Dad though, Toby too, and even got to see my sister Mary for a little when she came home to Harrison. Anyway it's bedtime soon. Goodnight.

Total miles: 1912.3

2 comments:

  1. So apparently I can only comment on your blog from work now. Not sure what happened, but it looks like my home comp refuses to be nice anymore. I also can't play CDs in it anymore. I hope DVDs still work. I'll have to test it. Anywho, congrats on making it back to Maine! It must've been so nice to get to relax at home, and what a nice surprise for your dad to bring Toby! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww bro! so glad you made it to htown! love youuuuu

    ReplyDelete