Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A day away from 2000.

Day 119 - 8/17/10
Didn't sleep too well because the shelter was so full. Plus I made the mistake of sleeping next to an old guy, and they always snore. Sure enough he did, plus he got up in the middle of the night sometime, probably to pee, and that woke me up. I did get going earlier today though, probably 8ish. The day started with a nice climb up Spaulding Mountain, a gain of 1000 feet. Then I went right back down, soon coming to this plaque signifying the completion of the last section of trail from Georgia to Maine. I think they had to connect Sugarloaf to Spaulding, and that was finished in 1937.

Ichabod and The Crusher showed up while I was taking some photos by the plaque, and then we all walked together until we came to the side trail you can take up to Sugarloaf. I wasn't going to go up there, it's a side trail trip, but since I was with the other guys, plus it being the second tallest mountain in Maine and all, I decided to do it. Not too bad a climb, only a 1/2 mile or so. When I got to the top I realized it was definitely worth it. We were above treeline and the top was just exposed rock, so you could see the Saddlebacks that we hiked yesterday, and the Bigelows that I'll hike tomorrow. It was fun being up there, and I even put on my iPod with some Lord of the Rings music. It was pretty epic with that playing.

We hiked back down to our packs and the AT, and while we were gearing up to go I couldn't believe it when I saw Markus strolling up the trail! I hadn't seen him since Trail Days. His hair looked longer and he looked to be doing much better with the ankle and all. I didn't think I'd ever see him again. So we caught up for a bit, then I headed on out with the other two while Markus took a break. It was downhill from there to the South Branch Carrabassett River where I crossed and then headed right on up to South Crocker.

That was a pretty difficult climb, about 2000 feet up in 2 miles. Going up that is where I took that picture of the Bigelows I posted a little earlier, but that was the extent of any views from that mountain, and the one after, North Crocker. Both were tough climbs with little reward, a little annoying in my opinion. But when I finally made it over both it was smooth sailing all the way down to route 27. For once the elevation profile in my book was accurate and there weren't any sneaky uphills mysteriously showing up. So I made it down there about 4:30-5, Ichabod was already there, and then The Crusher strolled in a minute after me. We called up the Stratton Motel lady to pick us up (she does for free if you stay there), and then waited around until she came by. In the meantime the older sectioner I had met last night showed up, and then Markus, although he wasn't going into town. I talked to him for a bit then he was on his way. Hopefully I'll see him again soon, I'd love to hit the summit of Big K with him.

The lady soon came and brought us four to the Motel. This town is pretty sweet for a trail town, with a grocery store right across the street from her place, plus a pizza/convenience store right next to it. I planned on meeting my buddy Davin a few days out of Stratton, but as it worked out he was here in town today so I met him while doing a resupply at the grocers. He'll be staying with me at the hostel, then we will be hitting the Bigelows tomorrow all day. He's out for a 10 day trip or so, which should bring us very close or even right up to Katahdin. After my resupply we went back to the motel/hostel and relaxed, drinking beer, eating pizza, and watching TV. What a nice way to end the day.

Almost 9:30 now, so it's bedtime soon. Trying for an early wake up so I can get Davin out on the trail and hiking big miles tomorrow. That's all from me. Mom, I'll see you in Monson on Sunday, should be arriving sometime early morning. Anywhere from 9-11 I'd say. Dad, I will be passing over the Kennebec on Friday, so if you and Dave can make it there on that day I will see you then. Goodnight!

Total miles: 1991.3

4 comments:

  1. Wow Dan.........I was checking out some of your older writings and suddenly this blog showed up! How great you have met with Markus and Davin! Must have been a great day. I am camping somewhere in Monson saturday and sunday. We need to designate somewhere to meet since we may not have cell phones to use. Let me know when and where. Also, I need a list of food to get for you before you head off into the 100 mile wilderness. Call when you can. Love, Mama Coon !

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAN >>>BACK IN H-TOWN FROM BEAN-TOWN BUCKHOLZ PITCHED A GEM LAST PM SOX WON MY BOY RYAN KALISH HIT A GRAND SLAM YOUNGEST SINCE TONY C. 40 YEARS AGO I PREDICTED THIS KID EARLY THIS SUMMER WITH CHRISTIE 7MM CAT @ SEA DOGS CED DOWNLOADED HIS AT BAT SONG IT IS A GOOD ONE...DAVE IS TAKING ME FOR NERVE BLOCK INJECTIONS TODAY IN PORTLAND SO WE LL SEE ABOUT CROSSING THE RIVER HOPE WE CAN MAKE IT?YOU HAVE BEEN FINALLY ENJOYING THE BEAUTY EACH DAY>>> IN MAINE <<<GLAD MARKUS ANKLE HEALED HAVE FUN... TALK AND HOPEFULLY SEE YOU SOON ,IF NOT THEN AT THE END AT KATAHDEN BE SAFE, STAY HEALTHY, PEACE OUT ,LOVE DAD+++ P. S. MAYBE IF AND WHEN CED READS THIS SHE WILL SEND YOU KALISHS SONG HAVE A GREAT DAY...AS YOU APPROACH THE 2000 MILE MARK YOU ARE TRULY DANIEL-BOONE SON aka COON-CAT A TRUE THRU-HIKER FROM MAINE....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Coon Cat, You seem to be really chewing up the miles now,Dan- at least you are probably over the 2000m as we write this, and we think you have done extremely well and are already in Maine. WE hope you will have lots of the fine days we have had most of the summer. The tourists seem to be flocking into Maine as the roads are impossible most of the time. Old Orchard was packed with people on some of the news picts. Is our memory correct that Markus is from Germany? You seem to be with Ichabod &Crusher most days now so maybe you will all be on Katadin together--BRING BEER !! or maybe Champagne. It will be good to see your MOm again & maybe your DAd too. & also have some resupply which you will need on the 100 mile from Monson. The two Wentworths came from there so we are familiar at least with the name. Will write more another time, Love M&F

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say 2000 miles is a pretty monumental milestone, Dan! Must be great to meet up with old friends and compare your experiences. John and I were at that Red Sox game last night - can't beat a Grand Slam! Sounds like you are going to have lots of company for the final stretch! xoxo Susan and John

    ReplyDelete