Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Still no views.

Day 106 - 8/4/10
I slept well in the shelter, which I'll attribute to the lovely sounds
of the brook only a hundred feet away or so. Not only does it lull you
to sleep, but it'll drown out soft to medium snoring as well. I woke
up about 6:30, and most everyone left by 7 except Zach and I. I slowly
packed up, then made breakfast, and in that time it started raining so
I just decided to wait it out. The skies weren't brutally dark,
therefore I knew it was just a passing shower. I talked with Zach
while I had breakfast, and man is he an interestingly weird fellow.
He's an insomniac, former anorexic (now at 240 or so), started college
when he was 14, and was raised in a conservative Christian family that
does not believe in evolution. That's only some of what he told me. He
was good for conversation to say the least. When the rain cleared I
geared up to leave, which by then was around 9. I said goodbye to Zach
and was on my way.

I started with a steep climb up South Kinsman Mt. When I reached the
top it was foggy and gross, just like yesterday with Moosilauke, so no
view. It wasn't to much above treeline though, so probably not one of
the standouts of the Whites. The AT took a short dip down, then back
up to the North Kinsman, which is about 100 ft. shorter than it's
brother. That one didn't even go above treeline, so I didn't miss
anything there. Then it was a steep, slippery drop to the first
shelter, Kinsman Pond, the first shelter through the Whites with a
fee. I only stopped in to use the privy, and while there I took some
pics of the pond because it was such a nice setting. I haven't really
had my camera out lately because of the bad weather, so that was
another reason I snapped a few. As I continued onward the sky started
to clear up, and got better and better as I made my way to Lonesone
Lake Hut.

When I arrived at the Hut the skies had cleared and were nice and
blue, so I only missed a view up top there by a few hours. I was sort
of annoyed by that, but I'm hoping all this fog now means I'll get
clear skies on Washington. Anyway, Lonesome Lake is the first of
several giant buildings along the AT that guests can stay in and enjoy
a mountain experience. It costs at least 80 bucks to stay there, and
has much nicer accommodations then a regular shelter or tentsite, so
thru-hikers only stop in for some food and maybe work for stay if the
caretakers will allow it.

I stopped in for the former, getting some bottomless corn chowder for
$2, and a couple slabs of 2-day old bread for free! The bread was
fine, and dunked very well in the soup, which was also good too, but
not as good as Jen's. I ended up having two bowls, and when I left
there I was quite full. Hopefully down the way I'll be able to do a
work for stay at one of them, not really for the free food but more
for the experience of it all. I think it's one of those things you
should try to fit in if you're doing the AT.

From there it was mostly downhill to Franconia Notch where you cross
under I-93. I stopped at the brook that runs right underneath the road
and cleaned off my shirt because I was getting really sweaty and it
was itching my back. When I was set I started a big climb up to
Liberty Spring Tent Site. It felt so much hotter being down at the
1000 ft. level elevation than it did up in the mountains. Down by I-93
it felt like a scorcher, then by the time I was at the campsite (3800
ft.) it was nice and cool. It amazed me how noticeable it was.

I stopped at the campsite because I was considering staying there, and
when I came to the caretakers tent he came out and started showing me
around. Real nice guy named Garrett. We got to talking and he
suggested I hike a few more miles up to a nice stealth spot he knew
about, that way I wouldn't have to drop the 8 dollars to camp at
Liberty Springs. He doesn't tell that to everyone, but he does try to
help out thru-hikers. He ended up giving me a few more stealth
suggestions too, and since it was only around 5 o'clock I decided to
shoot for the one he was talking about. I thanked him, filled up on
water, and left.

I ended up stopping a little before the place he suggested because I
saw another place where camping looked good. I set up my tent then ate
a random selection of food (tuna with tobasco, cookies, m&m's, Oreo
dipper things, and a dark Hershey bar). I'm just now realizing how
much chocolate I ate after writing it all down like that. I was lazy
and didn't feel like cooking though.

Today was a pretty tough day, only did about 13 miles, although I did
start later than normal. I'm glad I met and talked to Garrett because
he helped me out with a couple different options for tomorrow. I was a
little unsure where I should shoot for before I had met him, so things
worked out well. Anyway I'm very tired so goodnight.

Total miles: 1810

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dan! Gee I hope you're not getting too tired. You really are on the homestretch. I am going to watch the aurora borealis tonight if I can wake up. I want to see one again so much especially a colorful one. I saw one years ago that went on for hours in many different colors. The one last night was quite green I hear. We missed it because of cloud cover! Hope I can catch up with you on Sunday! Go Dan Go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Coon Cat, After yesterday's messup I'm reluctant to even try again. You know how my fingers don't work too well, and typing even a little is tough-- maybe it's what is between the ears rather than fingers, Dan. anyway I wrote a fairly long comment with remarks about the wood Or metal hand holds meaning you better not slip and shows how tough the Moose Mt was coming down. Just as I was about to end the deal I hit insert(maybe) instead of delete & lost the whole lengthy bit. I retyped what I could remember & just about complete & a big message from AOL COVERED THE COMMENT BOX & i LOST THE WHOLE WORKS AGAIN- not a good day! Mor mor will be coming home tomorrow- your Mom & I just saw her & she's sure anxious to get home again. Her ankles are down to normal size aain so we'll hope she can continue that way now. Will Close now Love M&F

    ReplyDelete