Monday, August 9, 2010

Coon Cat vs. Wildcat: The Showdown

Day 111 - 8/9/10
After I posted last night I struggled to find a stealth spot near
Pinkham Notch. I asked a girl working at the visitor center if she
knew of any, but she only knew of some that were South, so I just
tried my luck going North along the AT. I found an okay one near a
brook really close to route 16. Thankfully the brook was loud enough
to drown out some of the traffic sounds. The other thing that helped
that was the rain, although it kept waking me up in the middle of the
night, and also made for an unpleasant morning. I hate packing up a
wet tent.

I woke up around 7 and slowly got my things together. The other reason
I didn't enjoy packing up was because of all the sand covering my
belongings. Being near a brook does have some disadvantages. I finally
got going around 8:30, starting the climb up toward the Wildcat Ridge.
Once I got to a viewspot higher up I could see from looking back that
Washington was shrouded in clouds. Not a good day to be up there I
imagine, it seemed to stay that way all day.

Wildcat was a tough hike and it felt like forever before I made it to
Carter Notch Hut, the last of the Huts through the White Mountains. I
stopped in there to eat my lunch and refill water. Each night a
different crew member cooks dinner at the Huts, and I watched as the
guy doing it today had a giant bread disaster. He took out the loaves
and they were sunken and stuck in the pans. They looked terrible. I
heard him tell another guy he'd be making some cornbread later to
replace the mishap, so I hope that worked out for him.

When I left there I had a steep climb up to Carter Dome. I started
getting really frustrated and feeling like it was a bad day because I
was still carrying a soaked, thus extra heavy, tent. On top of that I
had just resupplied yesterday so my pack felt even heavier. And the
trail wasn't giving me any breaks, I'd go up and down, and each down
part seemed like it was incredibly rocky and hard to navigate, slowing
my pace to 1mph or so. That 7.2 miles from Carter Notch to Imp
Campsite (where I stopped for the day) seemed never-ending and
extremely difficult. By the time I reached the side trail to it my
knees were toast and I wouldn't have been able to go any further.

I went down, time was about 5:30, and set up on the very last platform
available. I hurried to set up my tent so it could start airing out
immediately, and then got to work on chores, water, dinner, etc. After
a few hours my tent had finally aired out and dried enough to set up
my bed inside. When that was all said and done I hopped inside so I
could write this up. It stinks like mildew in here. Wish I had some
Febreeze. I wonder who made up that product name? While I was midway
through writing it started to rain, so my tent didn't stay dry for
very long. Looks like I'll probably be packing up a wet tent again
tomorrow. Darn. I hope today was just one of those days and that
tomorrow I can get back in the swing of things. It's tough when it
feels like nothing's going your way. One thing to look forward to at
least is that I'll be in Maine within 2 days.

One last thing. I forgot to mention this in yesterday's post, but I
just wanted to give a shout out to my sister Mary saying thanks for
the b-day card that was hand delivered by Mom. Sorry I forgot to put
it in last night, but I did appreciate it. Thanks sis!

Total miles: 1873.2

4 comments:

  1. Yahoo.......less than 300 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan, Seems I'm playing catch-up with your postings, every 3 days or so. Sorry, but things are a bit busy for me right now. Amazed to hear of your luck with a terrific view from Mt. Washington and the decent weather - a bit of rain and cold sure beats unexpected snow or crazy coldness. Also amazed that you'll be in Maine in 2 days!! It just continues to amaze me. All of Paul's relatives were asking about your progress (yesterday we attended a family picnic at his uncles' place in Norwell). They're also so amazed at your trip. All wish you smooth travels and safe trip. Happy to hear that you got to spend time with your Mom again. She must be really proud and happy for you. Great that you and she are returning the trail magic favors of earlier. Always a wonderful gesture. Will try to keep up with your posting, daily, but as I said, things are a bit busy lately. I may not be able to read them daily, but know that I think of you and your travels, all the time. Keep on truckin' and especially in this part of the trail, keep safe! Aloha, P&J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Coon Cat, AFter having such a great view & day on Mt Wash. it must be even harder to have a wet mildewed tent & rain for both days. Also after having the day with your Mom & all the food you must have enjoyed you probably weigh 20 lbs. more!-Just kidding , Dan. It must have been a great visit for you & you even got to spread around some trail magic yourself. WE hope the weather will improve for you now & that you have a chance to dry everything out again. You must have a heavy pack now too after just restocking. Things are going some better for us now & it was sure good to have Mormor home again. It will soon be just Maine to conquer- though it has a tough reputation. WE're hoping for better days coming now,Dan- you deserve some. Love, M&F

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dan, We didn't know the AT actually took you to the top of Mt. Washington--what an added pleasure to reach that, especially with the weather being decent. We enjoy each of your posts, particularly when you describe your meeting up with your mother and all the delectable things she makes. How upbeat to have a day off like that. We enjoyed reading of your time in Hanover, refreshing our memories of when your Aunt Mary was in nursing school there. Soon you'll be in your native state, then on to Katahdin. God guide you as you finish this exciting venture. Love, John and Natalie

    ReplyDelete