Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Pinkham Notch visit.

Day 110 - 8/8/10
Got up around 7:30 and had a quick morning to make it to Pinkham Notch
as early as possible to meet my Mom for the day. Left around 8, having
a bit of confusing uphill due to the poorly blazed section known as
Madison Gulf Trail, until I came to the road you use to drive up Mt.
Washington. I stopped and talked to #1 son and '96, and a few minutes
later some SOBOs named Ragamuffin and Mega Mo, both from Georgia. From
there the trail was mostly downhill and well blazed, so it went by
fast and before I knew it I was there.

It was much bigger than I had expected, all the other notches had
little to no parking nearby, so I was a bit worried I wouldn't be able
to find my Mom, but I spotted her quickly siting on a picnic table. I
went up and gave her a hug, then saw some fellow hikers nearby
(Ichabod, The Crusher, Brooklyn, Penny) and since I knew she was
bringing trail magic I asked if they wanted some. They said yes so Mom
drove up and we all hung around eating oranges, apples, some awesome
brownies and these terrific chocolate bar things, and some sodas. I
also have my grandparents to thank for the trail magic, so I just
wanted to give them a shout out here saying THANK YOU! I know the
others really appreciated it too.

When they geared up to leave Mom and I drove to Gorham, NH so I could
take care of a few errands, namely resupply and laundry. We were doing
that maybe an hour and a half, and when all was said and done we drove
to a secret location to place the rest of the trail magic. I don't
want say exactly where in case this information falls into the wrong
hands. I hope those that come across it do enjoy it though.

After that we drove to a nice picnic area, Dolly Copp I believe, and
stayed there about 3-4 hours having a BBQ of ribs, red hotdogs, corn,
and other delicious treats. It was a great way to relax and enjoy the
afternoon, and having to leave at 5:30 made me really sad. I just love
lounging. We drove back to Pinkham Notch and she dropped me off, said
goodbye, then headed back to little Harrison. I went into the visitor
center to finish charging my phone, and while there decided to write
this all up so I wouldn't have to do it later. Plus I'm able to post
it tonight because of the free wifi Internet here. Score!

So I had a pretty easy hiking day, but an amazing, albeit too short,
day with Mom. Thanks Mom, Dad, Morm & Farf for making the trail magic
and visit today an amazing success. A few more days and I'm in Maine.
Woohoo!

Total miles: 1860.1

3 comments:

  1. im so glad you got to see mom! and what a nice treat to get trail magic from morm and farf. love yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan........I had a wonderful day with you. I love talking to you about everything. It was a great day and yes the trail magic was a success! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paying it back with trail magic. How nice! Glad you could spend time with your mom. What do you think - 2-3 more weeks till you are done? Amazing job, Dan! You are almost to the end of your journey. Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete