Friday, August 20, 2010

Survivormen on the AT!

Day 121 - 8/19/10
Got a great jump on the day with Davin, leaving at 7. Matt and Dan
left a little before us so we didn't catch them until Little Bigelow.
It was a decent amount of climbing up that mountain, but nothing like
yesterdays elevation gains. I forgot to mention in yesterdays post
that Matt also brought along his yellow lab Maximus. Actually he's
still a pretty young pup, but he handled the hiking of today and
yesterday very well. He was like our trail mascot, and I really
enjoyed having him hike with us, being all exuberant and happy.

After a short break on top of Little Big we headed onward to the Lean-
to that we had been aiming for yesterday. Took another short break
there, checking the register and whatnot, then it was a quick 1.4 to
the road where Dan and Matt had their car parked. We hung there for a
bit, then Davin and I said goodbye and continued on the AT. From that
road onward the trail was really nice, and Davin and I had some good
convo going. We stopped at a great little sandy beach for lunch and he
actually took a dip. I think it was the end of Flagstaff Lake, which
you can easily see from up on Bigelow. That lake is huge, and I heard
from someone on the trail that it's manmade. Pretty impressive...if
that's true.

Davin seemed to enjoy the swim, and afterward we carried on to the
next shelter, West Carry Pond. We went up to it and there was trail
magic there unlike any I'd seen before. A giant bucket filled with
small candies, Tootsie rolls, jolly ranchers, butterscotch, etc. It
was a totally new twist on TM and we loved it. Had like ten pieces,
and even though they were all squishy and melty it was terrific.

With all the sugar we were on a super sugar high, plus the trail
really leveled out to easy terrain, so we did a quick 4 miles to
another beachy spot, this time on East Carry Pond. It was about 5ish
by then, so we were thinking it'd be a cool spot to set up camp. Davin
took a swim while I looked around for camping spots in case the beach
wouldn't work out. I found a nice one nearby, and on my way back to
the beach I met up with Rainer and Dewlap again. I was figuring I'd
bump into them again soon, and it was cool to talk about stuff since
we'd last seen one another like our trip through the Whites and
Mahoosuc Notch. They left after a few minutes, I told them I'll be the
one catching up to them now, and then Davin and I decided to build a
shelter on the beach Survior style out of sticks and rocks and stuff.
It actually came out really good, plus we got a fire going, so things
fell into place nicely. Now we're just hanging by the fire having a
good time. We'll be crossing the Kennebec tomorrow so hopefully I'll
be seeing my Dad there. Sort of tough to plan out with the cruddy
service though. Anyway, that's all for today. Another good one on the
AT, only a few more left. Can't believe it.

Total miles: 2018

4 comments:

  1. DAN NICE WORK WITH YOUR GANG OF VIKINGS...YOU AND DAVIN MADE A GOOD DAY OF IT... REMEMBER WHAT I TOLD YOU JUST LAST FRIDAY LEAVING GRAFTON TO HAVE FUN IN THE MOMENT EACH DAY THIS STRETCH WILL CHANGE JUST LIKE THE WEATHER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS SHOULD BE OK,BUT WITH PM THUNDER SHOWERS JUST IN CASE YOU HAVE NO SIGNAL I ...ALSO WANTED TO TALK TO YOU AS I WROTE YESTERDAY NOT TYPE , THEN SUNDAY, MON???? MAYBE WASHOUT SO PLAN ACCORDINGLY ESPECIALLY NOW TRYING TO MEET A DEADLINE TO GET BACK TO LALA LAND??? MOM , CHRISTIE, AND MARY WILL BE HEADING NORTH TO CAMP IN MONSON TO SEE YOU AND RESUPPLY I WILL NOT BE THERE OR NEAR THE RIVER AREA TODAY WHICH IS WHY I WANTED TO TALK WITH OR TEXT WHICH I HATE AS WELL UNLESS IT IS THE ONLY METHOD,ALL THE WEATHER WILL DO IS CHANGE SO ENJOY*ENJOY* ENJOY * WHAT GOD GIVES YOU TODAY,TOMORROW,AND BEYOND ONE STEP AT A TIME REMEMBER THE GOAL WAS TO HIKE THE AT FOR MANY REASONS FOCUS ON THE PRESENT, STAY,SAFE,SMART,AND HEALTHY TO MAKE THE SUMMIT WITHOUT A DEADLINE SO YOU (A) CAN MAKE IT,AND(B) ENJOY THE VIEW,RELAX , AND DEBRIEF...WHAT YOU ACTUALLY ACCOMPLISHED,,,,SO WILL GET IT DONE IN GODS TIME ALOT OF BEAUTY TO ENJOY PEACE OUT LOVE, DAD+++

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAN I MAY NOT BE WRITING AGAIN OR SEEING YOU UNTIL KATAHDIN aka THE HOLY MOUNTAIN WHERE YOU CAN REMEMBER THE JOURNEY AND THE GOAL AFTER FIVE MONTHS OF FOLLOWING WHITE BLAZES WITH YOUR POSSESSIONS FOR FOOD,CLOTHING,SHELTER ON YOUR BACK,WHILE YOU ENJOYED ALL THE DIFFERENT FORMS OF NATURAL BEAUTY WITH EACH IN YOUR MEMORY BANK JUST AS WE ALL FOLLOWED YOU HERE,IN OUR HEARTS AND WHERE ABLE TO SEE YOU BRIEFLY I BELIEVE YOU SAW THE GOODNESS AND KINDNESS IN PEOPLE NOW THE LESSON OF LIVING ONE DAY AT A TIME IS NOT A THEORY OR CONCEPT IS REALITY WITH POST HIKE ADJUSTMENTS TO COME,FIRST THINGS FIRST SOMETIMES TEN MINUTES AT A TIME, ONE STEP AT A TIME IS HOW YOU MADE OVER 2000 MILES SO FAR I AM VERY PROUD OF YOU AS I TOLD YOU BEFORE AND ALSO HAPPY YOU PROVED SOMETHING TO YOURSELF YOU CAN DO ALMOST ANYTHING WITH FOCUS, DETERMINATION,POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE,STICKTOITNESS,DEDICATION,TO ACHIEVE YOUR GOALS,HOPES, DREAMS, CARRY ALL THIS WITH YOU IN LIFE AND MAKE YOURSELF HAPPY EACH DAY FROM THIS LIFE CHANGING GIFT YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN <<< PEACE AND GOD BLESS >>>THATS WHY I AM WRITING THIS THERE ARE NO TOMORROWS .................SOMETIMES ONLY TODAY <<,LOVE >>> REBOSXXIX, aka DAD+++

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so close to the end! I'm so proud of you and excited to see you! These last days should fly by now that you have Davin with you. Tell him I said hi. Glad I don't have to worry as much because now you're not alone. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DAN MOM LEFT TO PICK UP CHRISTIE & MARY TO GO CAMP AND MEET YOU FOR THE LAST PUSH THRU THE 100 MILE WOODS >>> YOU MUST BE EXCITED AND HOPEFULLY WILL ENJOY IT ....TO CLIMB A LONELY MOUNTAIN AFTER A LONG JOURNEY THRU THE WILDERNESS USING YOUR ACQUIRED POLISHED SURVIVAL SKILLS SHOULD BE AWESOME FOR YOU...ENJOY EACH DAY AND MOMENT BECAUSE THE REALITY OF NATURES BEAUTY WILL ONLY BE A MEMORY AFTER REACHING THE SUMMIT,THEN THE REAL TEST BEGINS??? HAVE FUN AND BE HEALTHY AND SAFE SO YOU WILL MAKE IT DO NOT RUSH,KEEP YOUR EYES AND MIND ON THE TRAIL GOD BLESS,LOVE DAD+++ P.S. KEEP WRITING EVEN AFTER YOU DO NOT HAVE A SIGNAL IT WILL COME BACK SOMEWHERE PEACE OUT KISS SEE YOU AT THE END OF THE TRAILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

    ReplyDelete