Friday, August 6, 2010

My first work for stay.

Day 108 - 8/6/10
Didn't have any more moose visits during the night. Maybe I was
paranoid about it or something though because I didn't sleep too well.
I was also on a slope, so I could never get fully comfortable. I heard
Bodacious moving around early, and just as he was about to leave I
yelled out asking what time it was. He said, "6:30. See you on down
the trail Coon Cat", then left. I packed up, had breakfast, and left
within an hour.

It was less than 2 miles to Zealand Falls Hut, so I made it early
enough to score some breakfast leftovers. They had oatmeal and
cornbread, so I ate some of each. Gave them three dollars for it and
was on my way. The next 5 miles was the flattest and easiest stretch
in the Whites, very different from the rest of it. I think Bodacious
said something about how part of that section used to be an old
railroad bed, so that would explain some of it. I hiked through there,
stopped into Ethan Pond Shelter for a quick snack break, then hiked
down to Crawford Notch by lunchtime.

The hike up from Crawford going North was much more steep than going
South. I had to hike up almost 3000 feet in 3.2 miles to Mt. Webster.
The section through there is called the Webster Cliff Trail, and after
going through I now know why they named it that. Once you get up a few
thousand feet the trail begins to go along cliff edges, then it'll
dodge back into the trees, then back to some cliffs a little higher
up. Along those cliffs were some of the fiercest winds I've
experienced, so fast and cold. On a bad day you would easily be
knocked over and maybe even off. I really enjoyed that part for that
very reason though, and it felt great to be able to dry out my sweat-
drenched shirt and shorts.

The climb up to Webster took a few hours, and when I made it up and
over the weather started to turn from blue sunny skies to dark and
misty. It was amazing to watch it transition that quickly, something
you'd only see in the Whites (and maybe a few other rugged places).
Luckily it didn't rain, and I just had to hike along the rocks in high
winds. After Webster was Mt. Jackson, going up only another hundred
feet. Then it was a few ups and downs to Mizpah Spring Hut where I
planned on fitting in a work-for-stay if I could. One strange thing I
saw along the way was someone had written my name (Coon Cat) in a
muddy bog next to this boardwalk you go across. I thought it might've
been Bodacious, but when I made it to Mizpah and went to go see him at
the campsite nearby I knew he'd be at, he told me it wasn't him. Not
sure who else it could be, or who else knew I was going through that
part today. I'll be putting in some detective work these next few days
and perhaps I'll find the person responsible.

So at Mizpah I was able to do a work-for-stay, even though I was a
little early to ask for it. I ended up showing up a few minutes before
4, and they don't really want hikers asking until closer to
dinnertime, but the girl I spoke to, Sarah, was real nice and said
it'd be okay. Because you're not paying to stay they don't have you
eating with the other hikers, and you can't get any leftovers until a
few hours later when everyone is done. The people working here do it
this way so that the paying customers know and can see why they pay.

It's only 5:30 now, about a half hour before dinnertime for everyone.
I'm posting early tonight so that means I'll fill in how the rest of
my night went as well as the work I ended up doing in tomorrow's post.
In less than 24 hours I'll have finally hiked that mountain I've been
able to see from my house for 23 years now. Can't wait.

Total miles: 1840.5

5 comments:

  1. You should have someone stand on your front lawn and flash a mirror so you can see your house from the top of the mountain. I've always wanted to do that with Wachusett Mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan, Wow on the moose sighting! I've never seen one in person, and can only imagine how big and majestic and yet scary seeing one so close, can be. Can't imagine how beautiful the view must be from the Whites, especially being on that mountain that you've been seeing in the distance all your life from the comfort and safety of your home. That's just awe inspiring! As the crow flies, you're so close to home. Unfortunately, you're not a crow, and you have to walk it. Fortunately and wonderfully, you're doing so well in getting up and over each of those mountains of the Whites. Keep on truckin'. As usual, though, be careful of the unpredictable weather of NE. Enjoy each step, especially with so few left to the end of this journey. Again, keep on truckin'! Aloha, P&J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Coon Cat! I was wondering about the steepness of the mountains around Crawford Notch. On the topo map it looks like a steep climb and also I know what it looks like driving thru there. It sounded like the Webster Cliff trail was exciting with those winds. It's supposed to be cooler tomorrow so when you're on top of Washington you're going to be cold. Bundle up! It's nice you get to stay inside Mitspah Hut! Nice and warm I'm sure. Wave when you're on the big hill! I'll be wearing a red shirt!!! Take care strong man! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. DAN GREAT JOB STAY SAFE BE SMART BE HAPPY ENJOYING WHAT MOST PEOPLE NEVER SEE OR WILL DO YOU SHOULD FEEL HIGH ... CELTICS SIGNED LOVE SHAQ FOR TWO YEARS, YOUKALIS IS OUT FOR SEASON, SOX BEAT YANKEES TONIGHT IN NY 5 GAMES OUT...MY BOY RYAN KALIS HIT FIRST HOMERUN,JACOBY IS BACK PLAYING CENTER FIELD LIKE YOU USED TOO,RUNNING DOWN EVERYTHING NOW YOUR A AT HIKER ON MT. WASHINGTON BE LOOKING FOR YOU TOMORROW WITH A MIRROR USING MORSE CODE-__-___-_... HAVE FUN TAKE TIME TO ENJOY EZDUZ IT... GLAD YOU FOUND SOME SPIRTUALITY THATS WHY WE LIVE HERE 997' ELEVATION BUT SECOND HIGHEST POINT/HILL IN CUMBERLAND COUNTY,INDIAN BURIAL GROUNDS, FORMER PARSONAGE,AND YOUR HOME,WITH MOOSE,DEER, BEARS???? WRITING NOW CAUSE I AM GOING BACK TO BOSTON AND WILL BE BUSY,BUT WILL READ EACH DAY STAY FOCUSED ON THE PRIZE GOD BLESS PEACE OUT LOVE,DAD+++

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dan, wow it's crazy. When I lived in the area, I used to do alot of day hikes (that's right, just a lowly day hiker), but in alot of the areas where you are hiking. Beautiful country. And don't forget that Washington has the highest winds ever recorded in the world !! Pretty cool stuff. On top of Washington, when the visibility is perfect, you can see the ocean. Good luck, have fun, and we'll see you soon !!
    Uncle G

    ReplyDelete