Sunday, August 15, 2010

Beamis is a funny name.

Day 116 - 8/14/10
I did get to bed early last night, around 8:00-8:30, but I didn't wake
up early today like I'd hoped. Wasn't moving around until 7:30, and
didn't leave till an hour later. First thing I had was a big drop down
to Sawyer Notch, then a steep climb over (Mad Eye) Moody Mountain (Any
HP fans out there?). It was a small mountain, only 2440 feet, but man
was it tough. Along the way up was a reroute that I was hesitant on
taking because usually they are unnecessary and add extra miles to
your trip, but this one seemed like a necessity so I took it. Plus the
sign was nice about it, saying "please".

After going up and over Moody I was at South Arm Rd. and from there
went right back up, this time climbing Old Blue. Good name for a
mountain. It was like going up and over Moody back to back, but twice
as high. When I finally made it to the top of that one it was 1:30, so
I'd done 7 miles in 5 hours. Not very good pace. At the top I rested
for a 1/2 hour, then continued on to do another 6 miles through the
Beamis Range to Beamis Mountain Lean-to. Not too bad, nothing like
earlier at least, plus there were a lot of nice rocky exposed sections
for decent views. I made it to the shelter around 5:15, and Ichabod
strolled in a few minutes after. I had written in the register that I
was contemplating a few more miles, and when he saw that he asked if I
still wanted to. Since I knew he'd also be going along if I did I said
"sure" and after a short snack break I headed out a bit ahead of him.

I came to a nice brook 3.5 miles after the shelter and found a good
campsite nearby. He showed up ten minutes later and we both set up
camp and got cooking right away because it was past 7 by then and the
sun is setting earlier and earlier. Summer is definitely coming to an
end. While we ate we talked about all sorts of stuff, grad school,
food, books, travel, BBQ, roadtrips, etc. He's a good person to talk
to as you can see by the variety of topics. Around 9 we called it a
night, and after I'm done this it's right to bed. I'm beat after those
two big climbs today, but I'm glad I pushed for a few more miles so
I'll only have a pretty easy 16 tomorrow. Might stop into Rangeley for
a pizza with Ichabod, too. We'll see how the day goes.

Total miles: 1945.2

2 comments:

  1. DAN>>> GLAD YOU ARE ENJOYING YOUR HOME STATE OF MAINE FINALLY... YOU COULD SPEND THE REST OF YOUR LIFE SEEING IT AND NOTHING COULD COMPARE WITH ALL THE SEASONS, OCEAN, LAKES, MOUNTAINS,HIKING ALL OVER DAY,WEEK,MONTH,ETC...GLAD YOU ARE REALLY ENJOYING THE BEAUTY ALL AROUND EACH NEW DAY,ALSO HAPPY YOU ARE WITH YOUR AT GANG OF FRIENDS ALONG THE WAY...SADDLEBACK AREA SHOULD BE FUN FOR YOU. SAW MARK & MARTHA LAST PM THEY CALLED ME TO GO WATCH HER SON COOPER PLAY SEMIPRO FOOTBALL AND THEN WE HAD DINNER AT THE TIDES IN NAHANT AT THE END OF THE BEACH.THEY NOW WILL TRACK THE REST OF YOUR TRIP,THEY SAID HEY AND WERE VERY HAPPY FOR YOU AND WANT US TO VISIT THE CAPE IN OCTOBER...PEACE OUT BE SAFE& SMART... ENJOY GOING TO MASS @ 10 iI WILL SAY PRAYERS FOR YOU... LOVE,DAD+++

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Coon Cat ! Can't believe you'll be in Rangely today. You should take a side trip to Smalls Falls. Remember what fun we used to have swimming in all those pools when we used to camp at Mt Blue. I loved that place. You are definately in God's country! When do you think you'll be crossing the Kennebec? Enjoy your hike. Love you Dan. Mama Coon

    ReplyDelete