Thursday, June 24, 2010

Another hot one.

Day 68 - 6/23/10
Had a nice sleep in my tent, much better than I had in the shelter the
previous night. Woke up around 6 and left between 7 and 7:30. The
first stretch wasn't bad, a bit rocky, but I made a quick 4 or so
miles to the first shelter, Peters Mountain. I met several new hikers,
The Fireman and Mudfoot, a couple. Mudfoot's sister and mother were
also joining them for a few days. I stuck around for a bit, signed the
register, then moved on. I had less then a liter of water left, but
the water at the shelter was down 300 steep stone steps. Say that
three times fast. So I decided to wait until a spring 6+ miles away.
Needless to say I ran out before that, so when I got there I drank
about 2 liters right quick. Winston & Churchill and Ace were already
there, so I joined them and ate lunch. Had a nice break with all of
them.

We all left at different times, taking our time because it was just so
hot. It was so hot, even the rocks were sweating. It sounds like a
joke, but I'm serious. So I left around 1pm, and had 2 liters to get
me the 7+ miles to the camping area I planned on staying at. It was a
1000 ft. climb for 3 miles, so by the time I made it up there I had 1
liter left. Then it was ridge for the rest, but when we (Winston, Ace,
Pyro, and I) all got to Yellow Springs Village Site, there was no
water to be found! Now we were stuck because we were all running low.
The only option was to keep going, and hopefully something would turn
up. Thing was, all our books said the closest water source was the
next shelter, 4.5 miles away. So we were extremely bummed out, hot,
and not wanting to move on, but what choice did we have?

Maybe a 1/2 mile we came to a trickling spring, tiny, but good enough
to use. Saved! It was such a good feeling to find that water. After we
all filled up Winston went back to see if Churchill was up by that
campsite yet. I waited with his pack while Ace and Pyro went on to
find a camp spot. When Winston returned he said he'd seen Churchill,
so he was going to stay by the water and cook dinner while he waited
for him. I told him I was moving on, then went to catch up to the
other two.

Less then a mile later I saw them setting up tents in the woods, so I
pulled in and did the same. Made some dinner, ate as much as I could
to take away some of this weight, then cleaned up and got into my
tent. After a hot day (90s), I was ready to just call it a night.
Everyone else did the same. I feel so gross and sticky, this heat is
really tough. What I wouldn't give to get some of that cooler weather
I had back in April. I only hope the more North I get the less hot
it'll be. Now for some reading to cap the night.

After reading for a bit I found a part where the book became very
relatable to what I've been going through lately. Here's the excerpt:

"'O!' said Bilbo, and just at that moment he felt more tired than he
ever remembered feeling before. He was thinking once again of his
comfortable chair before the fire in his favourite sitting-room in his
hobbit-hole, and of the kettle singing. Not for the last time!"

I've been thinking a lot about the comforts of home, and the people
and things that I'm really beginning to miss. At this point how can
you not? Sometimes it makes me feel better, something to look forward
to when I'm finished, and sometimes it worsens my mood, as if I'm
missing out or how much easier things would be for me were I at home.
Guess it depends on how I'm feeling that day. But Tolkien said it
perfectly. Certainly not the last time I'll be having those thoughts.
Anyway, that's it for today.

Total miles: 1163 (+/- .5)

4 comments:

  1. Dan -

    I started planning my thru for 2012(ish?) a couple of months back and stumbled upon your blog sometime last month. I've been reading it religiously!! I am truly inspired by your journey and I hope that the next time you feel like you're missing out on something back in the "real world", you can think of all the folks who wish they were out on the trail! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan.....As they say ...., absense makes the heart grow fonder! We are feeling the same for you. But you are on a very special quest and only you will come up with the answers. You are so fortunate to have this opportunity. Many people only get to dream about what you are doing. I know the hot and sticky dirty parts are not too fun but as they say...no pain no gain!!! Some time soon the cooler climate will come. You are doing great and it's nice to know you are you have some good company. You have been travelling with this pack for awhile making good friends. Have fun Bilbo Baggins!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DAN FIRST CHANCE I GOT TO CATCH UP USING CED MAC BOOK THANKS FOR THE FATHERS DAY CARD GLAD YOU ARE STILL GETTING STRONGER FOR THE HOMESTRETCH TO MAINE IT WILL FEEL GOOD AND IT WILL BE COOLER WEATHER FOR YOU. WENT FISHING BY BOAT WITH DAVE ON TUESDAY PERFECT CONDITIONS BUT NO FISH, NO FISH EVERYDAY AT THE FORT ,ON THE BEACH, ON FOX ISLAND, FISHED BOTH TIDES AM & PM STIL FUN TRYING PLANNING ON TRYING TOMORROW THEN BACK TO REALITY CHECKING WORKING FIRST LLBEAN CONCERT OF SEASON THEN OFF TO BOSTON TO WORK 0400 AM ALL OVER AGAIN HOPE YOU CONTINUE TO DRINK GATORADE OR G2 PLUS WATER KICK THE SODA EXCEPT MAYBE AT SHELTERS ON OCCASION ME AND DAVE WERE TALKING ABOUT SEVERAL PLACES TO MEET YOU SO IT WONT BE LONG KEEP TRUCKIN AND BE WELL, SAFE, CAREFUL OF OVERLOADED HIKERS AS YOU SAID YOURSELF DO NOT EVEN GIVE THEM A CHANCE OR BOTHER TO CHAT THEM UP KEEP FOCUSED ON YOUR HIKE AND EACH DAYS PLAN... I THOUGHT OF YOU ALL PM WHEN I FISHED ON FOX ISLAND WITH SORE BARE FEET CLIMBING UP THEN REMEMBERING THAT THIS APPARATUS STONE MADE YOU THE HIKER YOU ARE TODAY DANIEL-BOONE-COON-CAT-SON THE BEST IN THE EAST FROM MAINE THE WAY LIFE IS AND SHOULD BE ... TO ALL WHO VISIT OR MAKE IT TO KATAHDIN TALK TO YOU SOON LOVE DAD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dan, Busy again so today I finally had a chance to play catch-up. Paul and I read 3 days worth of postings. Again, looks like you're having fun and meeting lots of new people, along with having the company of old friends. That grilled banana with chocolate sounds great! Making my mouth water! Only, how does he grill them? In their skins, in foil, on a stick?? Want to try it on my new grill. Got one from Paul's brother for my birthday! We broke it in a week ago. It's been such nice weather that I'm anxious to grill again, so gotta go buy some bananas and chocolate bars for dessert. Will go great with teriyaki kabob and corn, I think. Anyway, keep truckin', keep safe, healthy, and hydrated! At the rate you're going, you'll be in the area soon, and before we all realize it, you'll be done and back in LA! Jen will love that, I know! Keep those posts coming. Aloha, P&J.

    ReplyDelete