Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Grillin' nanners.

Day 67 - 6/22/10
I didn't sleep well in the shelter. It was hot, and I tossed and
turned all night. I couldn't believe when I woke up at 6am and almost
everyone was gone. These older guys are real early risers. I made it
out at 7:15, a very good starting time, and I was the last one to leave!

I did a quick 4 miles into Duncannon, about an hour and a half of
hiking. This town is kind of strange, it felt somewhat deserted as I
walked through. Just not a lot going on. I stopped into a convenience
store and resupplied myself with some new Gatorades, then walked over
to the Doyle Hotel where my mail drop was. When I got there another
hiker told me I'd have to wait until 11 when the bar opened to pick it
up, so I thought I'd go over to the library in the meantime to kill
time. Then he tells me that isn't opened. Great. So I ended up going
over to this breakfast place called Goodie's where pretty much
everyone else was. Nothing much to do but wait. I ate with Ace, and
Winston & Churchill, getting some coffee and a cheap, but very tasty
breakfast. Eggs, bacon, toast, and hash browns. It was only 10:30 when
I finished, so I thought I'd go over to the laundry and charge my
phone there while I waited on the Doyle. As I was leaving I met two
hikers, Bulldog and Hitchcock. Bulldog happens to be blind, and
Hitchhock is filming his whole experience along the trail. He doesn't
assist him though because Bulldog uses a GPS to navigate the trail.
Very cool, and they have a website. Hansonatcampaign.com. Check it
out, I know I'll be doing so when I get a chance.

I made it to the laundry and now everyone was there, so at this point
it seemed as though I was just following the pack. I plugged in my
phone for a charge, then sat around talking while I waited for it to
finish. At 11:15 the hotel/bar finally opened, so I went over there to
get my mail drop. Got a lot of new and interesting things to eat this
time, so thanks Mom. It took me a good while to go through that, so
when I finished it was past lunchtime, and it was raining outside, so
I got some lunch at the bar. A hamburger with a Dr. Pepper. While
eating I met a few new hikers, Barley and Legends of the Fall. Both
cool younger guys. Ace showed up a bit after, and stayed to keep out
of the rain as well.

While eating, Churchill came by and dropped off some apples and
oranges for Ace and I. He's been really nice to hike with, and very
generous as you can see. I finally made my way out of there at 2, my
bag now ultra heavy again with food, and walked a good mile and a half
through town. The trail goes right through it, and it's a long town.
By the time I made it to the woods again I saw Winston & Churchill
sitting near the trailhead, so I stopped and talked with them. Wanted
to see where they were planning on going. They stayed as I walked on.
It was a steep climb for a good 2.5 miles, and during that time I got
caught in a nasty thunderstorm. It drenched me in 2 minutes, then
disappeared in another 10. It was actually a welcome shower though
because it was at least 90 degrees out and I was so sweaty and gross.
A nice rinse really.

I came to the first shelter and waited for them, meeting and talking
with a flip-flopper who started in Harpers Ferry and was camped
nearby. When the Brits showed up Winston and I went to fetch water,
which was a bit of a climb downhill. When I came back it took me a
while to get situated, so they went on ahead without me. After a few
hours I caught up to them because they had pulled off into the woods
and had a campfire going. Churchill told Ace and I about how in
England they often grill bananas with chocolate buttons in them at
BBQs. He said he wanted to do some for us, and that's what I saw him
doing when I showed up! See how nice he is. Ace ended up coming up a
few minutes later, so we all decided to call it a day there and enjoy
the fire roasted bananas. When mine was ready I took one bite and was
blown away by how tasty it was. Something so simple, yet fantastic.
We'll have to do them at a Brewer BBQ, bring in some of that English
flare.

Afterward us 4 sat around the campfire and had a good chat about all
sorts of things, and I really enjoyed myself. Even though I didn't do
big miles today I'm really happy with where I ended up. That's one
thing we talked about, that you need to make sure you're still having
fun, and if that means an easier day here and there, then do it. If it
feels like a job then you know you need to take it a little easier or
it's just not any fun.

It's still really hot out, so I hope I'll be able to sleep. Supposed
to be 90s again tomorrow. Tough going in this heat. Gonna try to get
up early.

Total miles: 1144 (+/- .5)

3 comments:

  1. Cooncat,
    I really enjoyed our dinner. The next night I had a good dinner with Dodger at the Horseshoe Bend, someplace to visit if you ever get back to Bear's Den.
    Wow, a bunch has happened very quickly:
    Caledonia- glad to see you stopped for a swim. Too bad about the crowd at Quarry Gap shelter.
    Congrats on completing the half gallon challenge, another accomplishment, and you even got a trophy out of it!
    The Allenberry Resort Inn & Playhouse - swanky for hikers, I've been trying to take my wife there since I hiked through.
    Cove Mountain - that's where I stayed after Boiling Springs, I see you had a hot day through the valley too.
    By now you're probably through Duncannon, I'll be driving by in the valley on I-78 sweltering in my non-A/C MG on my way to Bellevile ONT.
    Stay safe and enjoy the Rocks!
    Not Worthy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, the roasted bananas with choco buttons sound interesting. Are the choco pieces Hersey kisses ? Anyway, we will def have to try that when you get home. Are you glad you stuck with the leather boots in rock country? That is pretty cool about the blind man doing the AT. Can a GPS really help guide him on the footpath? It must have some very special program to do that. Having a few rainy days here at Popham but we really needed a sun break. We feel pretty fortunate to have 5 sunny days out of 7. No fog either. We've done tons of walking and reading. Jeremy stayed 1 night and Mary had 5 friends come up for the day. Have a wonderful walking day. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI cOON cAT , wE JUST GOT YOUR POSTCARD TODAY, & thanks so much & we thought the picture of you was just the best . You sure do look fit & trim. Also clean 7 sharply dresssed- must have had a chance to clean up before the picture. WE think that must be the headquarters for the trail. With the weather you are having it must be tough to move very fast at all & no doubt more tiring in a faster time. all your trail friends sound great to meet every so often & you seem to be about the same pace with many. It must be a treat every time to get the mail drops-kind of like a feast Christmas! The rest off your family are having mostly good weather this year which makes Popham even more of a treat. WE hope G& M with family also have mostly good, but that place on the beach is really neat anyway. Take it slow on the real hot ones, Dan, You are making fine progress we think & will be up in cooler country before too long Love, M&F

    ReplyDelete