Sunday, June 27, 2010

Rattlers & (Easy) Bake Ovens.

Day 72 - 6/27/10
Woke up around 6:00 to rain falling on my tent. I quickly undid the
vestibule door I had tied up and zipped my tent shut to prevent my
belongings from getting any more wet. I decided since it was raining
to just go back to bed, so I didn't get up for another few hours. It
was actually nice to sleep in a little.

I left there about 9:30ish and started with a nice uphill. I got to
the top where there was a viewspot called Dan's Pulpit. It had a
little mailbox nearby with that written on it, so I had to take a
picture. After all, it's my pulpit. From there on out the trail became
intermittently rocky, some small, some big, some jagged, some smooth.
Lots and lots of rock today.

About 1.5 miles from the shelter I saw my first wild rattlesnake.
Actually I heard him first. It's hard to describe the sound other then
saying it was like a rattle. I guess the closet thing I could compare
it to would be one of those rainsticks. So I heard the rattle, look to
my left, and see a 4-foot rattler 10 ft. away. Midsection thicker than
my clenched fist. Yellow eyes staring right at me. Mad as heck. I
didn't want to get too close, so I wasn't able to get any good photos,
but man was it cool. Had my adrenaline going.

I made it to the shelter about 1, stopping for lunch. A hiker I'd met
a few days ago named Strider was also there. We hung out, talking and
stuff, then Crusher and Hotfoot rolled in. I left close to 2, with
less then a liter of water after hearing from Strider how far away the
water was. I decidedtO could wait the 4 miles until this B&B you pass
that has a spigot. On the way there I met this crazy guy named Ray.
Religously crazy. He didn't get into it right away, but he baited me
into a conversation then slowly led it that way. I didn't really like
that, but I was trying to be polite. I was stuck hearing him talk at
least 10 minutes, then eventually got away. There's a time and place
for stuff like that, but the trail isn't one of them. At least when
you're mid hike.

I made it to the road crossing where the B&B was and walked over.
Decided to go in and get some food while I had an opportunity, plus I
could charge my phone. Ace was there, she had just eaten, so I sat and
joined her. Got some onion rings and a French dip sandwich. Not bad,
the O-rings were especially good, beer battered I think. I left at
about 4:30, but not before filling up all my water bottles and
camelbak. I left there with 5 liters (11 lbs.) because I knew from
word of mouth that the next shelter had bad water, and that was the
only source for at least 14 more miles.

I did the seven miles to Bake Oven Knob shelter, crossing some insane
rock sections to get there. Cliffs and boulder hopping through areas
with names like Knife Edge and Bear Rocks, but it was a fun challenge.
I camped a few hundred yds. past the shelter with Strider and Ace at a
cool spot off the trail a bit. Strider got a fire going and it was
nice to sit around while eating dinner.

I think I'm shooting for a 20 tomorrow to this place where a guy let's
you tent in his yard for free, plus he has an outdoor shower and water
spigot. Pretty sweet deal. So close to getting out of PA, only 45 more
miles. Can't wait.

Total miles: 1240.7

3 comments:

  1. I like the title. :) I can't believe you're almost out of PA, soon you'll be in New England, so close to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Dan! Don't you love that feeling of being in a tent while it's raining, rolling over and going back to sleep? I just love it. Was that rattler shaking his tail in warning because of you? Usually they are quiet unless they feel threatened. You're right about those yellow eyes...a little eerie! I know you're weather today is a little unsettled but it is supposed to get nice and cooler this week. I can't believe you'll be in NJ in a few days. Now you're starting to feel close. And not many more miles to make your trail 2/3 done! Wow! The Red Sox won yesterday but not without Martinez getting injured. This is getting wierd! They are 2 games behind the Yanks. This is my last day off before going back to work. I've really enjoyed my vacation. Enjoy your march to the garden state! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan, the area you are in now is close to where I was born and lived until I was 6 years old. My father's family owned a huge farm in that rolling countryside around Allentown, and my father worked that farm with his brothers. Nice memories there. I know you are anxious to leave it behind. Great progress! Love, Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete