Thursday, June 10, 2010

Zero #6 (Trail Days was 4 & 5)

Day 0 - 6/9/10
Finally had a chance to sleep in, getting up around 9. I went downstairs and no one else was around, Evelyn was out running some errands, but there was a whole pot of coffee sitting there waiting for me. I had about 4 cups, which really woke me up and had me all jittery Joe again, like the time at Woods Hole Hostel. Jim was home actually, he had been downstairs, and when he came up we sat at the dinner table talking about this diet he's been on called Macrobiotics. He even made me a little something, Miso soup with seaweed, and it was very tasty. The seaweed was kind of like these tea leaves Jen drinks that really expand when you put them in water.

Evelyn came home and we discussed all the things we were hoping to accomplish for the day. She had as many errands to run as I did (post office, bookstore, grocery store, and clothing store were all mine) so we figured out which town would be best to go to. Then we started talking about her and my Mom, which I love because all the stories are from way back when they were kids living in the same neighborhood. She told me one about how my Mom really impressed the boys playing baseball one day. When it was her turn to get up to bat they all moved in because she was a girl, but she ended up smacking it way over their heads. Every time she went up to bat after that they would always know to back up because she was THE girl that could hit. I had never heard this story so it made me laugh.

We were out and about at 12:30, Jim, Evelyn, and I, and our first stop was the post office. I shipped some stuff home, always trying to think of things I'm not using and to make my pack lighter. Then we went to lunch at Panera, which was really nice because I love that place, especially the broccoli and cheddar soup. They treated me too, so that was very nice of them. After that we split up and I went to the bookstore next door while Jim got a haircut and Evelyn went to a fabric store to figure out stuff for Ruth's wedding dress. I moseyed around looking at all the different books, and bought a small mass market paperback edition of The Hobbit because I've been thinking about that and the Lord of the Rings a lot. I've read it before, and even have a nice hardcover copy at home, but for some reason what I'm doing just really inspires me to want to read it. I think it's the similar sense of adventure and journey.

I made my purchase then went over to the barber where Jim was just getting done. We went and picked up Evelyn, then went to a organic type food store because they needed to get some things. Jim wanted to see if they had any of the seaweed that I could take with me and put in my foods on the trail, but they didn't have the right kind. Seaweed is very healthy, and so it would be something good to take with me. Maybe somewhere up the road I will supply myself with some. Anyway, we then hit up a regular grocer and I bought a few things that I needed. Not too much though because Judy had done such an awesome job with the mail drop she sent. I only bought a new Tabasco (Uncle G they didn't have a small enough size bottle of Frank's, but I did see it there), some tortilla wraps (spinach and herb kind that I've never had but sounds like it'll be awesome) and a bar of dark chocolate because dark is actually good for you and it's nice to have a piece every so often, with dinner or breakfast.

After that we went to Wal-Mart, and I bought a new pair of shorts, swim ones that will dry fast in case it rains. I wanted to replace the pair I had bought in Waynesboro at the Salvation Army because they were too big on me. It was kind of funny because first I went over the Men's section first, and they had some really nice ones, just a little too heavy, so I wandered over to the Boy's department next and found the swimsuits there. I pull out an XXL, the largest size they had, tried them. They fit great, had a nice green, yellow, and blue color pattern, and were super lightweight too, much better than any of the Men's options. I go over and pay for it, and it only cost me 6 dollars! That's because it was a child's size, and those clothes are always cheaper. Good way to save money I suppose. I found Jim and Evelyn after that, and they both had some purchases. Jim bought the new Tim Burton "Alice in Wonderland" so that we could watch it later that night.

After that we went to Home Depot, but they didn't have what Evelyn needed. She was looking for a new wheelbarrow handle. That was our last stop, so we went back to their house, and when we got back it was already 6. The day just flew by. Jim popped in the movie, and an hour later Evelyn brought Andrew to a drum lesson. So Aaron ended up making us (Jim, he and I) pizza for dinner, which was great. Very tasty organic sausage, and lots of spicy red peppers on it. We ate that while the movie finished up. I wasn't a big fan of this version, the story was drastically changed and it just wasn't as good as the Disney cartoon. But I was curious about the movie so I'm glad I had the opportunity to see it.

After that Aaron decided to go over to a buddy's house, and invited me along. I accepted, so we went over there and played some basketball, and he and his friend jammed a little bit for us. Their drummer didn't end up coming over though so they didn't have the full band, which was a little bit of a bummer because from just hearing the guitar and bass they were playing I could tell the music would have been really good. Aaron is a very talented guitar player, and even just hearing him play by himself was cool. Maybe some day I'll get to hear the whole ensemble, who knows. We left and headed back to his house around 11. Evelyn was home, so I discussed with her my plans for getting back to the trail. I decided I probably was going to take one more zero day, just so I could catch up on some photo uploads and have just one day where I could sit around and do nothing. For being a zero day it was a pretty busy one, so I think I deserve tomorrow too. That way I can be fully rested when I do get back to hiking. It's amazing how much there is to do, and how quickly a day goes by, even when all you need to do are simple things. Anyway, it's bedtime now. Goodnight!

3 comments:

  1. Man, reading about all that delicious food you've been eating, and it being almost lunch time here, you're making me really hungry! Won't chocolate melt out there in the hot sun? It was nice getting to talk to you last night, hopefully you're up for talking again tonight. I know, it would be nice to talk during my lunch break, but at least we can still talk after work. I love you very much Danny, and miss you even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan, I asked Jen if you ate seaweed and she said no. I have a bunch of small 2x3 sheets which is usually eaten with hot rice. It's rather salty flavoring, but tasty and crispy and full of good iron and such for you. I was going to include it in the package, but then decided against it. Rats! Maybe the next maildrop. Anyway, glad that you're taking a day to just relax and veg out. You deserve it! Can't wait for the new photos! Aloha, P&J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He normally doesn't! Trust me, reading that he actually willingly ate seaweed and enjoyed it was a huge shock to me.

    ReplyDelete