Sunday, June 13, 2010

Awkward people.

Day 58 - 6/13/10
There's defintely a fair share of them out here. You can be walking
along, or show up to a shelter, and you meet someone new for the first
time, but they won't say anything or hardly acknowledge that you're
there. I don't mind being the one to introduce myself first, but I
don't want to have to be that guy EVERY time. Sometimes it's nice to
be the one that is approached. Maybe my beard is scaring people away,
who knows.

Anyway I was out and moving by 8:30, another pretty late start. It's
getting harder and harder to wake up early. The heat perhaps? The
first shelter, Manasas Gap, came in 5.5 miles, so I took a break there
with Biscuits & Gravy, and Homebrew. Nice time chatting with all them.
The next shelter was in 4.5, Dick's Dome, so I stopped in there and
had lunch. Been enjoying tuna salad on tortilla wraps the last few
days, and today was no different. And let's not forget the Tabasco!
Biscuits & Gravy also stopped in, and a new guy I'd never met named
Lorod. He was very cool, a North Caroliner.

I guess Biscuits & Gravy had past someone going South before they
pulled in, and the person said there was trail magic 5 miles up. After
my long break, over an hour, I decided to try and catch it before it
was gone. Unfortunately I didn't make it in time, but I can't be too
uspet because I've already been very fortunate when it comes to trail
magic. One thing I was thinking a lot about during that 5-mile stretch
was how hiking the AT is perfect training to compete on the gameshow
Survivor. I imagine I could do pretty well, I'm a nice guy, in good
shape now, and could survive in the conditions that they are put into.
I'm considering trying out for the show, however it is that they do
it. I think you make your own submission tape. The thing for me too is
that I don't really want to do it for the money, but for the
challenge. I'm curious if it would feel harder or easier than this.

After that it was only 3+ to the shelter, Rod Hollow, and it was easy
miles, but I hit a snag when I got to this part with a fallen sign. I
saw that it said shelter on it, only in a glance, so I figured it was
up this blue-blazed trail, which shelters are generally on. I hiked
straight up this steep mountain, and the shelter was nowhere in sight.
I hiked more, and mind you I had ran out of water before I even made
it to the sign, and still no shelter. This had to be the wrong trail.
I turn around, hike back down, and when I get to the sign I really
take a good look at it. It was all smashed up and just as confusing as
before. So now I'm annoyed, very thirsty, and unsure if the shelter
will be further up or not. I decide to keep going along the AT, and
thankfully I get to the correct sign for Rod Hollow only a short time
later. I headed to the shelter, found a tentsite and quickly set up
there. Then I made dinner, more rice with bacon bits. Need to switch
it out pretty soon.

It's 8:30 now and I'm laying in my tent about to read some more of The
Hobbit after I'm finished with this. I'm still undecided on whether or
not I want to attempt the 4-state challenge. I'll need to decide by
tomorrow because I'm very close to the border. If I do decide to
attempt it then I'll be doing well over a 20 to set myself up nicely
for the attempt. Right now I'm leaning more toward not doing it, but
maybe if I feel really good tomorrow I will. Then again I'll be doing
the rollercoaster all day, so I imagine I'll be pretty tired
afterward, which isn't a good setup for trying to do something so
crazy as the 4-state challenge (40+ miles).

Just to let you all know, I feel much better after getting that whole
yellow blazing hiker out and in the open. And you know, after saying
it I was able to let it go and not care anymore. All that matters is
how I feel about my own journey, and not anyone elses. I think my Dad
said it best with his comment, "To thine own self be true." Hearing
that was comforting and helpful in putting it all behind me.

And to John and Natalie, I'd have to agree I'm biased to my original
AM as well. When this lady told me that was her trail name the first
thing that popped into my mind was my Aunt Mary's awesome fruit
cheesecake, with the blueberries, kiwi, strawberries and all that good
stuff! Might have to request that if we put a party together when I'm
all said and done.

Total miles: 983.8

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dan! Just finished the Bryson book. Very comical and interesting. The hiking buddy was def a little unusual. I was sad to hear they turned away on the 100 mile wilderness trail. I think it def is better to thru hike and not do all that driving back and forth stuff. As far as the shy people there, maybe they are weekend hikers or short section hikers who don't understand the comraderie of thruhikers. At least you got to see Biscuits and Gravy! Happy trails! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally try for the 4 state challenge, it would be very challenging of course (hence the name), but it would be incredible to be able to accomplish that! Tonight was the season finale of Breaking Bad, now we will have that to catch up on when you get home. It's crazy to think of these shows that we normally watch together, some that didn't have their premiere until after you left, and are having their finales now. That's how long you've been gone! I love you and miss you and am very proud of you, of course. Love, Jennay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Coon Cat, Wer think your parents said it right witrh their advice on people such as chain saw snorer. You willo find many such mean & devious people as you go on,Dan,but you have to do what you know is right. You & that kind know what you each are. It would be areal feat to try the four state challenge, but you know best how you are going so good luck on what you decide.Mor mor & I think you've done such a fine trek so far & we so much enjoy your comments all you tell uw about. This is something you will have allyour life so remember that you are doing it the right way. Love M&F

    ReplyDelete