Thursday, June 3, 2010

My first (and probably last) OFFICIAL 30.

Day 49 - 6/2/10
At least intentional one. If I happen to feel crazy good one day and
can spontaneously do a 30, then maybe I will. Or if by chance I get
offered an opportunity to do a 30-mile slackpack, then maybe I will.
But to set off in the morning with the mindset that I will hike 30
miles, like I did today, that I probably won't do again. It's not that
I can't, it just makes the day a lot more stressful. The whole day I
kept telling myself to push it so I could make those miles, which
wasn't always fun, but I had set the goal so I had to follow through.
Here's how the day went:

I set my alarm for 4:30, but woke up over an hour later at 5:45, still
very early. I was fed (coffee, clifbar, oatmeal) and packed up by
6:45, later than I had hoped to start for a 30-mile day, but it was
still early enough where the heat wasn't bad yet. Very good
considering the massive uphill I had to face first thing. Over 2000
ft. of incline. About halfway up I was walking along when a brown
bunny ran out from the tall grass to my left and bolted up the trail.
It stopped and waited until I caught up a bit, then ran further up and
waited again. This went on about 3 or 4 more times, and I just
couldn't help but think of Alice in Wonderland, and I was Alice. The
only thing missing was a wristwatch hanging from the bunny's paw. This
occurence brightened my mood and made that tough climb a little more
bearable.

After I made it over that first one the trail took a little dip back
down, then right back up another one, Cold Mountain. I haven't seen
the movie or read the book, so I'm not sure if it's the same one, but
I imagine so because I'm in Civil War territory and I know it takes
place during that time. I liked that part of the hike a lot because it
was a bit like being on the balds again. There was a really big open
field on top, so you had great visibility.

The first shelter came soon after that, but was way off the trail (.6
miles) so I skipped it and didn't come to the next one until almost 16
miles into the day. I stopped there and took a snack break with Wookie
who I had met a few miles back. I'd actually met him before, but only
briefly. He had just come back from a 4-day trip off the trail in DC,
and was telling me how tough it was even after only 4 days away. He
stayed at the shelter when I decided to leave at 2. I still had almost
15 miles left, which felt like a huge amount to conquer that late in
the day. I just buckled down and really pushed myself, doing the next
6.9 to the shelter in 2.5 hours. Since the water source was good and
close I decided to make an early dinner. Plus after that push I was
very hungry. I made alfredo pasta with chopped garlic and poured in
1/2 a bag of bacon bits. You'd have to have gone to Emerson to know
this, so Jen you will know, but the taste reminded me a lot of the
chicken/bacon alfredo you could get in the Piano Row diner. In case
you're wondering, that's a good thing.

By the time I had finished and cleaned up it was 5:00, and I still
needed to go 7.5 more, so I hurried and got moving again. I had a
little up that took me to the top of The Priest, a 4000 ft. mountain.
It wasn't bad coming up from the South side, but heading down The
Priest was brutal. Very steep and rocky. Made me appreciate being a
NOBO for the first time. So far it seems like the NOBOs have the
harder climbs because the South side is always more steep, but not
with this one. I wouldn't want to be a SOBO going up that 3000 ft.
uphill. I eventually made some progress downward, and met a couple
nice ladies chilling out by Cripple Creek 2/3 of the way down. I
chatted with them, and suggested they make a visit to McAfee's Knob
because they were asking about good spots. I ended up showing them my
pictures from that day, and I'm fairly certain that it convinced them.

I finally made it to the last shelter, Harpers Creek, at 8:10. 30.2
miles. I was very tired when I pulled in, and hungry, so I scarfed the
last of my gorp. I talked with a guy named Magnet while I did so. He's
a thru and lived in Maine for 3 years at one point in time. Pretty
cool guy. I didn't have much daylight left so I quickly put up my
tent. There's a creek here, so I have that to listen to again as I
drift asleep. Very awesome.

One thing I thought about today while hiking was how little Ottie
Cline Powell was found only 10 miles away from the freed slave
settlement, and that these two events were going on at the same time.
It's just neat to have both bits of historical information and know
that they were happening simultaneously, whereas both parties very
likely had no clue as to the other's existence. Anyway, I'm calling it
a night. It's 10, and I'm pooped.

One last thing. My poison ivy is doing much better, I think i'm
finally done with it (knock on wood). I still have some red bumps, but
they don't itch anymore, so I'm no longer going insane. That is all.

Total miles: 826.1

7 comments:

  1. Yay! No more poison ivy! Too bad you couldn't make something out there that tastes like that potato thing you used to love to get in the DH, I don't remember what it was called but it was your favorite. You know what I'm talking about. Awesome job with doing 30 today, very impressive! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAN GLAD YOUR POISON IVY IS GETTING BETTER, THE TICK BITE RX IS ON THE WAY GET SOME SPRAY WHEN YOU CAN FOR THE REST OF WAY OR I WILL SEND YOU SOME TO EVERYLYNS?? BE CAREFUL ANYWAY 30 MILE DAYS WILL MAYBE BE THE WAY YOU CATCH PHIL FROM MAINE AGAIN KEEP DOING WHAT FEELS GOOD EACH DAY...YOUR DOING AWESOME THE SNOW IS COMING IN SEPTEMBER HOPE YOU HAVE SOME GOOD WEATHER TO ENJOY THIS MONTH... REMEMBER EACH A NEW BEGINNING>>>SO PROUD OF YOUR COMMITMENT EACH DAY WHILE HAVING FUN AND SEEING THE REAL WORLD NOT LA LA LA LAND... THATS WHY THEY SAY MAINE IS THE WAY LIFE SHOULD BE AND IT IS THE BEST PART OF YOUR JOURNEY TO COME DAVE AND I WENT TURKEY HUNTING AGAIN TODAY FOR LAST TIME TILL FALL PASSED UP SOME SHOTS... SAVING YOU THE BREAST MEAT FROM MY FIRST ONE. GETTING READY FOR CELTS TONIGHT, MARY IS COMING HOME TO VISIT I HAVE NOT SEEN HER IN FEW WEEKS, MOM IS FEELING BETTER AND WEARING HER BEAT LA SHIRT TO WORK TODAY... REBOSXXIX FAST APPROACHING JUNE 07 SAME AS YOU ONE DAY AT A TIME... STAY FOCUSED, SAFE, HAPPY,CAREFUL OF RIDES IN VANS??? GLAD YOU ARE GETTING GREAT PICS I ALSO COPIED ALL OF YOUR BLOG << PEACE & LOVE>>>YOUR THE BEST NOVICE OUT THERE AND FAST BECOMING A TRUE HIKER AS GOOD AS ANYONE .... I AM SO PROUD OF YOU AND HOPE YOU KNOW THAT ...PEACE OUT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan, I loved your little Alice in Wonderland adventure. I could just picture that whole amusing thing. You will have to see that movie because it's all civil war stuff and such a good movie. The scenary is beautiful and I imagine very much like what you are seeing. I thought it took place in NC but I might be wrong. Wow 50 miles in 2 days. Make sure you're enjoying it if you go that fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan, You're doing so well, really racking up those miles. What great history you're hiking through, sort of like going back to school while on the AT. We drove through the Blue Ridge one year--startling views. We love reading of your eating sessions; all good stuff, especially that garlic-loaded food, and, of course, the Ben and Gerry's. Stay well. Love,
    John and Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan, I'm about to head to my last day of teaching ever. Pretty weird. I've been a nut job running around but never fail to continue reading your new entries every night! I'm starting a blog this weekend and I'll send you the link. You're going to need some jacked up spiced food when you get home after all that garlic lovin. Miss you cuz. Let's keep eachother posted! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, you think thats your last 30 miles? Not that I'm suggesting it, but when you come to the end of VA, camp at the boarder right before West Virginia (there are two borders though, so make sure its the 2nd!) and hike through WV and Maryland and end up in PA. Thats a total of 4 states, about 45 miles, and over the mason dixon line into the North! That was a very fun day.... Maryland is a super easy state so that makes it better. Just make sure to stop in at the Harpers Ferry office before trucking through -- if you decide to do it that is :)

    ReplyDelete