Sunday, June 6, 2010

I just kicked Bill Bryson's ass.

Day 52 - 6/5/10
Not literally, but in the sense that I've surpassed his AT mileage
total. I couldn't remember if he tallied his to 850 or 870, so I
waited until I had surpassed the latter.

As far as the day though, it was a bit peculiar. Getting out of town
was fine. As I was walking toward Main street a car taking hikers back
to the trail pulled over and asked if I wanted a ride. Biscuits &
Gravy were the names of the hikers, a guy and girl I hadn't met
before. The guy driving us was named Roy, another trail angel in
Waynesboro. He had us up to Rockfish Gap by 9:15, which I was happy
with considering I'd stayed in town and it's usually hard to get an
early start the next day. I walked for 5 minutes, came to the
Shenandoah National Park registration, filled that out, then began my
hiking.

Like I said it was a peculiar day, one reason was because I was just
so sluggish starting out. I took 3 breaks within the first seven
miles. I was tired, winded, sweaty, and thirsty. But I eventually got
into my groove, not stopping for another break until about 1:30 at an
overlook on Skyline Drive. I ate some trail mix, then ended up taking
a nap right on this rockwall there. It was shaded nicely by a big
tree, making it the perfect place to rest. I didn't want to leave.

I got going at 2:15, and the next stretch was a long 10+ miles of
uphill without any water sources. I ran out of my supply quickly, and
after 5-6 miles without water I started getting into this dehydrated
delirium, another one of the peculiarities of the day. I was so
desperate for hydration that when I came to a little parking area I
approached some strangers and asked if they had any spare water. I
felt so bad doing it, but I was dying. They were nice, very generous
to give me one bottle, and extremely generous to give me a second. I
downed one, then pocketed the other. That really saved me, so thank
you to Linda, Jerry, Lauren, and Trevor! Good karma is coming your way.

I only had about 4 miles after that, so the water lasted me right to
the shelter. There were a few hikers there already, all new to me. The
names are Scat Tracker, Achilles, Beans, Shirtless, and a sectioner
named Pyro. Then more showed up, a Canadian named Crusher, as well as
Biscuit and Gravy from earlier. I started dinner, making Teriyaki
noodles with sweet and sour tuna. Very tasty, a nice combo I'll
probably do again some day.

Looking back at what I've written it doesn't seem like there was
anything all that peculiar about today, but to me it was. One of those
"had to be there" type things I guess. Anyway, glad to be in the
Shenandoahs. Gonna try for a 21 tomorrow. So far the terrain here
hasn't been too hard, so I'm sure it's doable. Just need to make sure
I carry more water. Goodnight.

Total miles: 873.1

6 comments:

  1. DAN JUST A HELLO FROM BOSTON KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK... THINKING OF YOU A LOT AND LIVING "ONE DAY/STEP @ A TIME" BEST ADVICE I GOT 29 YEARS AGO TOMORROW ...CELTICS TONIGHT GAME VS. L A PEACE OUT BE SAFE & HAVE A BLAST PEACE OUT LOVE, DAD+++

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole peculiarity was probably due to being dehydrated, which I imagine is hard to describe in words. Glad to hear you're alright and people were nice enough to help you out. For some reason when you were describing the lookout spot with the rock wall I imagine it looking like the lookout spot by at the Blowhole, where we took those pictures. Congrats on passing Bryson, personally I think now you're better suited to write a book then he was, a lot of the time he wasn't even carrying a pack! Anywho, you know how I feel about that...Love you, happy hiking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dan, still love catching up on your adventures. I got a big kick out of the simple pleasure you experienced by rinsing out your gatorade bottle and enjoying the lingering taste of the flavor even after filling it with water. Your mother has taught you well. She wears her Beat LA, shirt to work and I wear my #9 rondo shirt. We make quite an impression. Keep the force with you. Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a pic of Dan that I took as he re-entered the trail Jerry
    URL=http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd309/Jerryleep/?action=view&current=IMG_0650.jpg][IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd309/Jerryleep/th_IMG_0650.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd309/Jerryleep/IMG_0650.jpg


    oops let's try this one of Dan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dan:
    It was great sharing water with you yesterday. We are now following your AT hiking adventure. Keep kicking Bryson's butt.
    L T J L

    ReplyDelete