Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The last Mayday...

Day 47 - 5/31/10
Had a tough sleep, one of those ones where you're paranoid about
missing the alarm. I had set it for 5, but when it went off I just
didn't have the energy to move, so I slept until 6:30. Still made it
out by 7:15, which was smart because the heat was up there again. I
heard even into the 90's. So it was hot.

Getting that early headstart kept me in the cooler weather for most of
my day, so I didn't suffer too much. I hit one steep uphill early on,
but after that it was smooth sailing, and so I made good time to the
first shelter. 12+ miles by 12:30. I had a nice long break there, and
enjoyed some peanut butter with a banana I had taken from the hiker
feed yesterday. A very good combination. I left at 1pm and made it to
the James River very soon after that, then crossed the longest
footpath only bridge on the AT. I had mentioned in yesterday's post
that I was potentially planning a stop into Big Island to go to a
health clinic to treat my poison ivy. Well by the time I reached the
road my plans had completely changed, and now my mind was set on going
to Glasgow to go a Dollar General for some ointments and pills that
could remedy the itching. I basically decided to take the cheaper route.

I tried hitching for 15 minutes, with no luck, but fate poked its head
in when a Mom (and grandparents) dropped off her son right where I
was. I chatted with him for a bit (Tornado was his name), and then his
Mom offered me a ride into town after he was situated and leaving. So
no need to worry about this hitch, if you can even call it that. They
were very nice folks, and even though they have a hiker in the family
out there now they still asked me tons of questions about the trail
and my trip.

They dropped me off at the Dollar General, and so I went inside to
find the meds I needed. When I checked out I asked about the motel
they have here potentially being turned into a hiker hostel. My
guidebook had mentioned something like this. They looked confused, and
told me to go ask the grocery store people next door. I did, and the
lady explained how there was a small shelter-like building built
behind the abandoned motel. It's an eagle scout project meant for
hikers. She said there was also a "shower" which was not totally
finished yet. It was actually just a loose hose. Good enough for me
though. I walked over, and there were two hikers at the place (Sweet
Tea from GA & Power Nap from ME), both taking a zero. They're around
my age, and we hit it off pretty quick.

I had some chores to do, so I ran over to the laundrymat and did that
for an hour. I figured it wouldn't hurt to give my clothes 1 more
cleansing dose to rid them of any remaining poison ivy. After that I
dropped my stuff back at the shelter and then proceeded to clean my
poison ivy spots in the shower, using this cream that you rub in for 3
minutes and then rinse off. The others came back from the gas station
deli a little while after I had finished my cleaning, and told me it
was closing at 5, so I ran over and got myself a slice of pizza, some
fried chicken, and potato wedges. In other words, I pigged out. I
brought that back to the shelter and ate there, feeling very good
after everything was gone. The rest of the day was spent either
lounging, eating, or talking, both on the cell phone and with Sweet
Tea and Power Nap. Later on around 9pm I picked myself up a pint of
Ben & Jerry's and had that as dinner. So healthy, I know.

The poison ivy is feeling better, I think this stuff is working, so
we'll see how I feel when I'm back out on the trail and have sweat
rolling down my arms again. Fingers crossed. But at least I have some
cream left, so if it's not gone by Wayneboro then I'll do another
scrub and rinsing there. I'll also continue to down the Benadryl and
use cortisone spray. So today I lived by my new philosophy, and
adapted my plans, going to Glasgow instead of Big Island. I'm very
happy with my decision, and have another night of going to bed with no
regrets.

Total miles: 775.9

4 comments:

  1. Did you get Half Baked? I didn't end up eating mine last night, maybe tonight to help cope with the absence of Lost. Lovely chatting with you yesterday, looking forward to Waynesboro! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Itchy Coon Cat! Hope the ivy is giving you a break. I remember the heat and humidity of Va. when I lived there. It's good to know you are moving north where it won't be as bad. I think you'll soon be approaching a place that I camped as a kid called Sherando Lake. Does it ring any bells yet? That's the place where I took Evelyn camping for her first time when we were kids. You'll have to ask her all about it. It was a fun family trip. Enjoy the blue ridge. It's a wonderful place. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen.........I'm having LOST withdrawals !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Coon cat, You are sure hanging in there,Dan-must be tough sometimes with the heat sweating & itching, but it sounds as if you have it under control now. We hope that's it for poison ivy. kIt must have been you out on the projectioon rocks-very similar to the one in Norway that Hanna was out on-also near the edge. You have a very fit looking body now & all this walking has done lots for your general condition. We're doing ok now & have been enjoying your blogs again. Always something new & interesting Love, M&F

    ReplyDelete