Saturday, June 19, 2010

I'd quote Bon Jovi, but I hate them to much to do it.

Day 64 - 6/19/10
So I'll just say it. I'm halfway there. Actually further then half. So
that was a major mental boost.

I woke up around 5:30 after getting very little sleep. That group that
came in late were so loud and didn't quiet down until 11:15. They had
no understanding of how to be respectful. When I woke up Churchill was
moving around, eating and all that, and he tried to put a positive
spin on it, saying it was amusing. That's one of the great things
about him, he always looks at the brighter side.

So I was out and hiking at 6:30. Didn't break until the first shelter,
Birch Run, sometime around 9:15. It was a very nice one so I took a
picture. My next break came in another 6 miles at the next shelter. I
had already done 13.5, and it was just past noon, so I decided to take
a longer break then I had planned on. Called Jen for a minute, which
was only just 9am for her. I think I woke her up. Whoops.

When I started up again it was less then a 1/2 mile to the halfway
point. Well the halfway point for 2009. There was a sign and
everything. It changes every year so they didn't have one up for 2010,
but I still took a picture. I soon came to a road and started walking
down that, and to my delight there were blackberry bushes all along
the sides. And many were ripe too, so I feasted, eating at least 50 or
so. Earlier in the day I had passed a lot of blueberry patches too,
and some of those were ripe enough to eat, so after getting two
different berries in one day I started feeling spoiled by mother nature.

I made it to Pine Furnace General Store around 2:00, and stopped in so
I could attempt the half gallon challenge. One of the traditions on
the trail is to see if you can eat a whole half gallon in one sitting,
right after crossing the halfway point. Halfway/half gallon, quite a
nice theme they've got. Anyway, I bought myself a tub of Moose Tracks
and started at 2:08. I finished at 2:42, a total of 34 minutes. I
didn't feel as sick as I imagined I would, but I wasn't on top of the
world either. As far as ice cream experiences go, it wasn't a fun one.
But I did finish so I got a little wooden spoon trophy for my hard work.

Because the ice cream put me in such a stupor, I didn't leave the
store until around 5. During that 3 hour period I did stop in at the
AT museum that just opened June 5th of this year, and is only a few
hundred yards from the Pine Furnace store. It had a bunch of cool
artifacts from the trail (like one of Earl Schaeffer's original Lean-
tos), stuff about famous individuals associated with it, and so on. I
guess in the 80's or sometime around there a guy hiked it with his
cat, carrying it the whole way. That was an amusing read. Reminded me
of Iguanaman yesterday. The museum was rather small, just one room,
but I really enjoyed it.

Like I said I left around 5, and made it to James Fry shelter at 8:15.
So I hiked 24.5 miles and ate a 1/2 gallon of ice cream all in one
day. Not many people can say they did that. Tomorrow I'll be passing
through Boiling Springs, PA. Trying to get in an 18 or so, that way
I'll be in Duncannon by the next day for my maildrop. Pretty tired and
full of dairy. Let's call it a night.

Total miles: 1110

4 comments:

  1. I can not believe you ate all that ice cream! Did you get chilled? That would not have been bad with the heat you're getting. Congrats on the true halfway point. It is amazing to see 1100 miles under your belt. We miss you very much and wish you were here at Popham. Go Dan Go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi danny boy, sure is weird without you here for the second year. i am listening to the waves right now and will soon doze off. the blackberries sound delicious! mom and i had burgers tonight, they were pretty good. congrats on your halfway accomplishment. i am so proud of you! love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't mind at all that I got woken up, getting to talk to you is always nice, no matter the time. I'm excited to see your little spoon trophy, it is a neat little knick knack that you will always have to remember your trip. Now we can see the light at the end of the tunnel, you have more than half of the trail behind you and now you're on your way home! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dan, Been busy the past few days so I had a lot of catch-up to do on your postings. You've been busy! Crossed the Mason-Dixon line, got out of Maryland, passed the halfway mark, ate a half gallon of ice cream, met more hikers, etc. Can't believe you're over that halfway mark!! You'll be in my neck of the woods before I know it. Wish we could set up a meeting spot but it might take a bit of arranging on my part (with my situation, you know). If nothing else, let me know if/when you might need another maildrop. I've already got some coupons cut out for stuff you had me send the first time. Anyway, keep those postings coming. Love reading of your adventures and all those people, animals, berries, historic info, etc. BTW, we received your postcard Saturday, which was the best birthday present I got - actually, second best, next to a call from Jen! Keep safe, healthy, enjoying the trip, ... Aloha, P&J.

    ReplyDelete