Sunday, May 30, 2010

Getting comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Day 46 - 5/30/10
That's a big part of hiking the trail. Smelling bad, being dirty, sore
feet, aching muscles, bugs in your face, poison ivy, unbearable
humidity, sleeping on uneven ground, and so on and so on. You have to
get comfortable with being uncomfortable or you won't make it the
whole way. I learned this early on, but have really been thinking
about it a lot recently because of the poison ivy and all. I just have
to get comfortable with it, try to treat it with whatever I have, and
keep hiking.

So that's what I did today, although I had a slow start. My body was
very tired in the morning, but I did get going by 8, after a nice
breakfast of oatmeal, a clifbar, and some coffee. Those hazelnut
instant packs you sent taste great, Mom. I had 10 miles to make it to
the trail magic, but it was pretty much all uphill, so even though it
wasn't a long distance it was still tough.

I made it to the first shelter at 10:15, a 5 mile distance and more
than 2000 ft. of incline. When I made it, there were two thru's there
I hadn't met before, Gearbomb (a lady), and Swift, who's also from
Maine. We talked about that for a bit. A few minutes later who do I
see but Loon. I hadn't seen him since Trail Days when he was wearing
that dress. He had come from the North, switching to SOBO for a while
I guess. He's also associated with the trail angels who were hosting
the meal that was coming up, so I thanked him for what I knew was
going to be an amazing experience. They do two days of it, and he had
gone to Day 1 yesterday, so he talked it up to all of us. He left with
his hiking buddy Eastwind pretty quick, but I stayed there and took a
long break, mostly because the hiker feed wasn't starting until 3pm
and I didn't want to be too early.

I stayed over an hour, leaving at 11:30. The heat was finally hitting
hard, so the next stretch was filled with lots of sweating and
wipedowns. My bandana was soaked by the end, which came at 2:15 when I
hit the road and saw a piece of paper on the ground with an arrow
pointing to the left and the words, "Hiker Feed 50 yds." under that. I
walked over and saw people setting up some tables, and a few hikers
were already there too, so I took a seat with them and helped myself
to a Capri-Sun. Just like being back in elementary school. Then I saw
there was some chips and dip, so I helped myself to that. It was
Mediterranean dip, and let me tell you it was unbelievable. It had so
many things in it I'd never eat normally, like black olives and feta
cheese, but the combination of all the ingredients was just so good. I
wish I had gotten the recipe.

As more hikers showed up the real magic started happening, and they
used about 4-5 Dutch ovens to cook up lasagna, sweet potatos, this
amazing mix of tatertots, beef, and other stuff, homemade rolls, not
to mention all the cold stuff like fruit salad, cous cous, pasta
salad, fresh veggies, homemade hummus, and so on. Then for dessert
there was hot Dutch oven brownies, apple crisp, and ice cream. Whoa.
Simply amazing, I just couldn't believe the scale of the meal. I was
so full I could barely move for several hours. This meal definitely
rivals how full I'd been at Woods Hole hostel.

The whole thing was fantastic, the food, the people, the conversation,
everything. Everyone was so happy, none more than the people who were
hosting. As things were winding down they spoke to all of us about
hiking the AT and how lucky we all are to be doing such a thing. Then
they handed out marbles as a sort of good luck charm, and to leave
somewhere, anywhere in the world (other than the AT), at some special
place or special moment in our lives. So I won't leave mine on the AT,
but on a future trip somewhere else.

I'm getting tired so I'll wrap it up here. I'm thinking I'll stop in
Big Island tomorrow to go to a medical clinic there. If I can get some
sort of prescription or shot for the poison ivy I will be very happy.
Awesome day today.

Total miles: 761.3

6 comments:

  1. It's been so shocking to me to hear of you eating all of these things that you normally hate. I can't wait for you to come back and for me to finally be able to eat these things with you. Since you now are willing to eat feta cheese you need to try the greek salad at North End Pizza. I'm very excited about this because I think it might be the best greek salad I've ever had. Keep fighting off that poison ivy! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Coon Cat.........You probably gained 10 lbs in one sitting! Must have been nice...and food that is good for you too. I hope you get your poison ivy under control soon. I know how annoying it can be. But you are wise to try hard to get comfortable with the uncomfortable! The sox won today. Big Papi is hitting better these days. Buchholz and Lester are doing a great job pitching. They are holding the team. And I get to wear my BEAT LA celtics t shirt again ! Finals start thursday. Night Dan........and miles to go before I sleep and miles to go before I sleep. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dan, Your description of the Hiker Feed reminded me of the Stump Ranch cookouts we had when you guys were all younger...with John and Glenn manning the grill and your mom's fabulous potato salad. Good times! You have come out of a rough patch with all the rain and the poison ivy. A perfect day to celebrate all that you have accomplished so far. xoxo Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey bro got to stop by craigs grad party for a lil bit and saw a bunch of ur buds. They were all askin about u and where u were at. Filled em in a bit, they all think it's nuts what's ur doin! Glad to hear how well u r percerviering through the tough times. Keep it real coon kit :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cooncat, It's great to hear you're getting comfortable with being uncomfortable. That's a big step and an important one. Once you're past the poison ivy and get some constant sunny days everything will seem so much easier. I'm amazed you're going along the Blue Ridge Parkway, you are cruisin'! I'm following with a longer email. Doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dan! What a fantastic sounding time you had at the feed. I can't believe that you're eating all those different things now. Getting adventurous with food is good! Speaking of which, I'll be mailing off your packages (2) tomorrow. Hopefully it gets to your Mom's friend in good shape and in short time. I hope it's not too heavy a load - I might have gone a bit overboard. If there's too much, can she pack what's left and send it forward to another future stop? Anyway, hang in there with the poison ivy. Sooner or later, it'll dry up and stop itching. Hope sooner than later! Nice touch with that marble you got. Wonder where you'll end up leaving it!?!? Keep it safe; keep yourself safe, healthy, and truckin' along! Aloha,
    P&J.

    ReplyDelete