Friday, July 2, 2010

3 bears, but no Goldilocks.

Day 77 - 7/2/10
Had a nice sleep because of the cool temps last night. I was so comfy
I even slept in to about 8, which was nice. While I was packing up to
leave another hiker passed by named Spork Whisperer. I'd met him a
while back in Port Clinton. I caught up to him in a few hours, he was
taking a break, and within that span of time he'd seen 7 bears! That's
a lot for one trip, let alone one day. He caught back up to me in a
little bit, and I didn't seem him the rest of the day.

I took a break at the first shelter, Brink Road, around 11:15, and
first thing I did was get water because I hadn't passed any sources
all day, and I had only started with the 1/2 liter I had left over
from last night. Filled up 2 liters worth, then had some PB & Nutella
on these multi-grain bread flats. That's easily becoming my new
favorite snack. It was a nice spot so I took my time and had a nice
relaxing break.

I continued on at 12, then stopped in at a store at Culvers Gap for
some sodas. I got a can of Mt. Dew and one of Coke, plus a bag of
chips, eating them outside at the designated hiker bench, which said,
"For your gear and REAR." Rear was in all caps too, not sure why. I
saved the coke for later, doing 3 more miles to Gren Anderson shelter
where I stopped for more water and another snack break. There I met
Pony, a hiker who started in Damascus. We talked for a while, so I
didn't get out of there till about 4.

Within a mile of leaving the shelter I saw the 3 bears, baby, momma,
and papa bear. Goldilocks was nowhere to be seen though, so maybe they
ate her. Baby bear ran off when I showed up, but the other two stuck
around. The big guy was ripping apart a dead log like nobodies
business. It was amazing watching him try to smash that thing with all
his might. He did manage to break it somewhat, then he clawed away
some innard bark to expose some juicy bugs. Then he stuck his big
snout in there and started mowing down. It was fascinating stuff.

I hiked a few more hours until a little past six when I came upon
Mashipacong shelter. My feet were really hurting (there's still some
rocky remnants of PA here in NJ) so I decided to call it a day. Only
one other hiker was here, and he's a ridgerunner (trail name is Tuit,
short for Round-Tuit). I set up my tent over in a camping spot, then
made dinner and talked with him for a long time. He's a real nice
older guy from Texas. His daughter went to grad school in Boston, so
we talked about the city and stuff. When he did his AT hike in '08 she
also hiked with him.

My ankle bones really hurt. The way these new shoes are rubbing
against them is what's doing it, so hopefully either my bones get used
to it, or it just stops happening altogether. Tomorrow I'm going
through, or very close to, Unionville, NY. There's a place in town
with a big trail reputation, so I think I'll be staying there tomorrow
night. Plus Tuit told me that the guy who runs the place (they call
him The Mayor) is getting married this year, so it might be the last
year he's doing the hostel thing. Kind of makes me feel like now I
have to do it. So we'll see.

Total miles: 1321.6

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe the bear sightings! To be able to be that close and watch a bear fishing for bugs is amazing! You are so lucky to witness this. Be prepared for the heat wave. Make sure you have enough water and Gatorade. Are you going to be somewhere where you'll be able to enjoy 4th of July? I hope so. Happy hiking Dan! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Coon Cat, You have already seen your fair share of bears,Dan, so now you have to start looking for some Moose- there was one in Portland a c ouple days ago & I also heard there was one in Scarboro though we didn't get a chance to see it .One time when we were at the Stump Ranch I was going to the top of our drive to trim weeds & there was a big cow moose about 15 0r 20 feet away in the woodsy area. WE think you have made such great progress to date<Dan, & do know you will be there to check in Katadin before the snow comes. Right now it appears we are going to have a real heat wave so take care on these coming days. Love M&F

    ReplyDelete