Monday, July 12, 2010

Things are starting to look familiar...

Day 86 - 7/12/10
Slept well at the church. Got up around 7 and had a lazy morning
getting my things together, partly because I had to wait until 9 for
the outfitters and the pharmacy to open. In the meantime I went to the
convenience store and bought some chocolate milk, donuts, and a Dr.
Pepper. I had all that plus my pizza leftovers for breakfast. When 9
came I went to the pharmacy first and bought some hydrocortisone
ointment because I think I have poison ivy again. My ankles and feet
are covered in the same itchy red dots as last time. Then I went over
to the outfitter and bought a new fuel for my stove, and ended up
getting an ice cream sundae at the shoppe attached to it. It was a
good decision because all that food kept me fueled up for a lot of the
day.

So I didn't get out of town until 9:55, and with the walk back to the
trail it was probably more like 10:15 when I started. I felt good
though and made solid time. Before I made it to the first shelter the
trail started skirting the edge of another sweet river, the
Housatonic, and the trail followed it along a good 4 miles I'd say.
The first shelter, Stewart Hollow Lean-to, was in the middle of that
4. I stopped there by myself and had a nice lunchbreak.

It was another 10 to the next shelter, and although it was an
enjoyable section not much happened worth mentioning. One thing I
began to realize though was how the landscape definitely started
looking more familiar. Now that I'm back in New England I can see and
smell the woods I grew up in. I even had visions of walking down the
path at the Stump Ranch to the lake because I walked along trail that
was covered in dead pine needles and the same looking roots as the
ones we have there. Just like being back at home! I made it to that
shelter somewhere around 6 and stopped for dinner this time. I didn't
stay because I wanted to make it to a campsite about 2.5 miles away.
I've got to stick to a strict schedule now for the next few days
because on Friday morning my buddy Craig will be picking me up in Lee,
MA and taking me into Boston for a couple days. So after dinner I
cleaned up then headed out, hiking faster now because daylight was
fading. I made it to the camping area around 8:20 and only one other
guy was here. His name is Ben and he's out doing a 10 day section
hike. We talked for a bit while I set up my tent, but then we hurried
into them because the skeeters are so bad. Tomorrow I have a 20-mile
day scheduled to another campsite that'll put me right over the border
into Massachusetts. CT was a quick state!

And to update you all, my knee felt better today. Not 100%, but
definitely better. Let's hope this continues.

Total miles: 1476.1

4 comments:

  1. Mass tomorrow?! I wish every state could go as quickly as Connecticut! I'm snacking on a Fuji apple right now, which makes me think of you. That's good that you'll be in Boston over the weekend and not on a hiking schedule so we can finally talk. We'll both be avail, quite a rarity! Keep on putting in some good miles, and we'll talk soon. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAN GLAD YOU ARE OK BE CAREFUL UNTIL YOU GET THE BOOTS SLOW DOWN ON WET & SLIPPERY AREAS EVEN THOUGH YOU WANT TO MAKE TIME REMEMBER ENJOY ONE STEP AT A TIME PLANNING ON SEEING YOU AND BIG C FRIDAY NIGHT SOMEWHERE? SOMETIME ? GOING TO MAINE TONIGHT BIG PAPI WON HOME RUN DERBY VS HANLEY RAMIERZ FUNNY A FEW YEARS AGO HE WAS A SEA DOG AND RED SOX PROPERTY...ALL STARS TONIGHT ALL THE SOX ARE HURT OR THEY BE STACKED TALK AND SEE YOU IN BOSTON SOUNDS REALLY GOOD AS I WRITE IT PIZZA MAYBE ? PEACE OUT LOVE DAD+++

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dan, Welcome to MA!! Welcome home, sorta. I'm glad to hear that your friend is picking you up in Lee for a couple days stay in Boston. If you don't have a full agenda already, maybe I can get to see you for a minute or two. Let me know if that's possible, and I'll arrange to meet you somewhere, anywhere convenient for you. I really, really can't believe you're so close to the culmination of your hike! Way to go! As always, stay safe, healthy, and keep enjoying it all. Also glad to hear that your knee is feeling better. Aloha, P&J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Dan, We've been to the Cape for several days, and are catching up on six or eight of your messages. Welcome to Connecticut, the western part having some of the most beautiful and still unspoiled land in our native state; and the shortest part which you hiked so quickly into Massachusetts. Enjoy the Berkshires and the time in Boston with friends. Love, John and Natalie

    ReplyDelete