Sunday, July 18, 2010

Zero #10

Day 0 - 7/17/10
Because I stayed up later than my usual 9:30-10 bedtime I was pretty
tired and lazy when I woke up, but since it was a zero day it didn't
matter anyway. I could be as lazy as I wanted. Craig threw in my
laundry for me around 11:30, then he, Davin, and I went to BHOP
(Boston, not Bridgton) for some food. I had a slice of pizza and an
awesome chicken & bacon ranch wrap. Afterward we walked over to where
Davin was parked so he could grab his backpack and camera stuff. Then
we headed back to Craig's and had a throwback N64 session. Mario Kart,
GoldenEye, Hot Wheels Racing, and others. All the video games we used
to play for hours when we were kids. It was a lot of fun going back to
something I associate with my childhood. Those gaming machines did
come out when I was in 4th grade, so they're old.

After a few hours of that I took a shower, then got in touch with my
Dad to see how we'd could get together. I ended up taking a ride on
the T, which I'm actually happy about because it was like bringing
back old memories. I used to ride that thing all the time to school
and stuff, and it's just like I remember. Crowded, noisy, awesome. I
went all the way out on the blueline to Wonderland stop and met him
there. We went to Santarpio's for some pizza and sausage, which was
amazing. Their pizza is so good. Then we visited his friend Harold's
Mom's house and stayed there for a bit. She made this spice cake with
cream cheese frosting and it was delicious. I'm loving all the great
food I've gotten to eat on this trip in Boston. And on top of that,
when we left we followed that up with a stop into a pastry shop in
East Boston. I forget the name, but it was one my Dad had been to
before. I bought some hermit cookies for the trail and a couple of
vanilla cupcakes for the carride back to the subway stop. He dropped
me off at Wonderland, and even though we only had a short 3 hour visit
it was still a lot of fun.

I rode back into the city and made it back to Craig's apartment around
9. Man the day flew by. I packed up my new bag with all my gear and
everything was looking good. I'm really glad I was able to work out a
way to fix my pack problem so easily. After taking care of that
business I talked with Jen for a while, then around 9:45 we went over
to another friend of Craig's who had roof access. It was actually one
of the girl's (Taylor's I think) who we went to the beach with
yesterday. We only stayed there for a minute because everyone wanted
to go to some bars, so we walked over to this one near Fenway called
Lansdowne. The line was pretty long so Big C, Davin, and I ended up
leaving and going over to another place where Leif and Tom and some
others were. Pour House was the name of that one. It was a good time
and I'm glad I was able to see everyone before I went back to the
trail. We left there around 1am or so, and on the way back we stopped
at another place for some more pizza. 3 different kinds in one day!
You'd think I might be tired of it, and this might sound cliché, but I
love pizza. It's the perfect harmony of flavors and ingredients.

When we made it back to the apartment I was really tired so I crashed
in one of his roommate's rooms who was out of town. Everyone else
stayed up and continued to party, but again I'm so used to going to
bed at 9:30 that I was just too tired. I did have a lot of fun though,
and made it pretty late into the night. So again I didn't have time to
write this until the morning. Now it's time to get back to the trail
and finish this thing! About 650 miles to go.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dan, I'm so happy to hear that you were able to spend time with your old buddies and your Dad! You really deserved the zero days. I'm sure it'll revitalize you for the remaining miles - you said 650!?, boy I can't believe that's all. Reading about all the food you got to eat in Boston made me hungry, especially for pastry - I'm remembering Mike's Pastry down the street from your North End apartment on the 5th flr - boy, that was a hike to go up and down with furniture! I suppose I could go down there to get canoli's anytime I want, but to me, that's such a hike! Anyway, glad you got your pack fixed, too. It would have been a lot more uncomfortable and difficult to hike with it broken. So, now you're on the way back to the trail. Remember to keep safe, keep healthy, watch out for sudden changes in the weather, critters, poison ivy, and all that stuff. Most importantly, keep enjoying the trail. Almost home! Looking forward to your next posting. Aloha, P&J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan, Mary & Glenn just picked me up from Maine VEts Home for a chance to get some needed items as I go back about 1800. WE are going down to see Mormor soon(You know why there have not been any comments lately) I hope to get Mormor down to Maine Vets too so she can get stronger before coming home. We didn't want to have a worry on your mind,but it slipped out- it always does! WE're happy to see you are getting right back on the trail & with shoes & a good pack it should be lots easier. If you don't get comments from us -don't be concerned as things are sure getting better & we hope to soon be back home. Happy trails, DAn Love, M &F

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely chatting yesterday dear! I forgot to tell you, yesterday we got an Expression magazine in the mail. It has lots of pictures of the Paramount, it's beautiful! I've now added it to our list of things to do next time we're both in the city. Also, yesterday I saw a man walking two really cute bulldogs by Caitlin's house. They had the perfect coloring too. Well, time to buckle down and do my coverage. I love you! And Lani does too!

    ReplyDelete