Friday, July 23, 2010

Airing out some things.

Day 94 - 7/22/10
The thunderstorms I endured last night were insane. I stayed up a
while reading, then it started raining, then the thunder came, so I
ended up finishing the book because there was no way I could have
slept through that onslaught. The flashes were so close together and
so bright that I almost didn't need to use my headlamp for reading. It
was a tad scary because when it was right over me I just sat there
watching, waiting, listening for any falling tree limbs.

The hard rain created wetness in my tent that made for a slow and
uncomfortable morning. I didn't have everything packed and ready to go
until a little before 9am, and most of my things were wet (like my
tent) so it wasn't fun putting them away. I figured I'd have to air it
out when I could later on, which I did at the next shelter, Goddard.
It was about 7 miles away, around 3500 feet, and had a really nice
spring water source. The entire place was nice actually. Made we wish
I could have stayed there, but the timing wasn't right. I laid out all
my wet gear and took an extended break, and since I finished The
Hobbit I also put that out for anyone to take. Rainer & Dewlap showed
up maybe a 1/2 hour after I did, and Dewlap ended up taking the book.
That was fast! Hope she enjoys it.

I left close to 1 and soon came to the top of Glastenbury Mountain
(3748') where there was an observation tower. I climbed that to take a
look around, and man was it windy at the top. It was actually windy
all day, which was nice because it was cool and kept my sweating down
for once. Reminded me of weather from the beginning of my trip. I hope
it stays like this. Anyway, the view up there was great, a nice 360
degree of the Green Mountains. You could see lakes and ponds and towns
in many directions and all at different distances. I went back down
and hiked for a couple more hours to the next shelter, Kid Gore. There
was a decent view from that one down into a valley and some mountains
in the distance. Did another break there, and again Rainer and Dewlap
showed up soon after. They planned on stopping at the one after, but I
wanted to do more so I left and hiked the 4.6 to Story Spring Shelter.
A guy doing the LT was there, had a fire going and everything. His
name is Gentry and he's from L.A. I talked with him about living there
and stuff while I made my dinner. Turns out he works in entertainment
as well, so maybe I'll see him again down the road somewhere. You
never know where you'll meet a connection.

I had a pasta side with tuna, and of course Tobasco. What's so nice
about the mild version is that it has more flavor. I like the original
too, but it just makes foods taste hot whereas the green mild sauce
actually adds flavor. I'm glad I bought some. I was going to leave and
do a few more miles like I said, but I just wasn't feeling it so I
listened to my gut and stayed. I set up my tent (nice and dry, the
airing helped) and hopefully it'll be an early night so I can make the
miles into Manchester tomorrow for the hostel I have a reservation
for. I'm kind of annoyed they have you do that because it stinks
trying to make a schedule. You never know if you're going to have a
good day or a bad day, and so trying to plan in advance is tough. Oh
well, I either make it or I don't. The town does have a Ben & Jerry's
ice cream shop so I may have to get myself one or two of those flavors
you mentioned, Mom. Although my favorite is probably Half Baked. Mmm.

One last thing. Just wanted to wish my grandmother Mor Mor a Happy
80th Birthday! It's actually tomorrow (23rd), but I'm doing it in
advance so she can see it tomorrow morning. Can't wait to see you,
hopefully real soon! Love Dan.

Total miles: 1620.3

6 comments:

  1. DAN>>> YOU HAD A GOOD DAY DESPITE THE WEATHER YOU HAVE REALLY HAD IT PRETTY GOOD SOME TIMES IT RAINS FOR DAYS ON END AS YOU KNEW PRIOR TO THE TRIP...IT WAS SCARY HERE AS MOM WROTE WE WERE LUCKY WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH DAMAGE WITH FLOODING, ETC WIND, TORNADO, LIGHTNING START THINKING ABOUT WHAT TO DO BEFORE IT HAPPENS AS YOU GO ABOVE THE TREELINES IN NH, ME AND EACH DAY AS WELL... STAY UPBEAT IT STINKS PLANNING AHEAD KEEP IT FOCUSED IN WHERE YOUR AT AND ENJOY YOU WILL BE FINE. ATTITUDE IS THE KEY TO A GOOD DAY THERE, HERE, ANYWHERE, I WISH I COULD BE WITH YOU FOR THE REST OF THE WAY WHICH EFFECTS THE REALITY OF MY ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT EACH DAY ,I WILL SEE YOU SOMEWHERE.DAVE AND I TALKED YESTERDAY ABOUT CROSSING THE RIVER AND OTHER HOOKUPS THERE IS STILL PLENTY OF HIKING LEFT SO RELAX, ENJOY IT THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE,NOT A RACE.SAFETY AND FUN COME FIRST... YOU HAVE DONE BETTER THAN MOST PEOPLE BOTH IN MILES, DAYS SO FAR, AND WE ARE ALL HAPPY YOUR IN NEW ENGLAND AND VERY PROUD OF YOU,I HOPE YOU KNOW THAT....HAVE A GREAT DAY PEACE OUT FROM THE HILLS OF H-TOWN,LOOKING AT MT WASHINGTON LOVE YOU BUDDY, DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan, Was thinking about you and how you're faring with the daily thunderstorms we've been having lately. They seem to be coming out of nowhere (the skies are perfectly clear and sunny), then hard rain falls, then it's all over and gone as quickly as it started. At least, it has been that way for us here. Hope it doesn't get too bad out there for you, and especially worried about flash floods. Be careful of those! Anyway, can't believe you're already in Vermund. Seems you were just in MA. On the good side, does that mean before you know it, you'll be in NH, then Maine?!? As usual, you're making such good time and mileage. Also glad to hear that your recorder is working again (yesterday's posting). Remember your Dad's words of wisdom about putting things into waterproof bags - since you got 'em, use 'em! Cheaper than replacing waterlogged electronics. Anyway, hope you enjoy your stay at that hostel, and the ice cream, of course! Yumm. Aloha, P&J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be awesome if you could use that guy later on to get a job. What does he do? I love you, I miss you, and thank god it's Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dan, You sure continue to make great progress. My markers on the AT map are just climbing up the wall. It must be really interesting to see the landscape, terrain, and mountains change from state to state. Can you believe Mor-mor is 80 today? You have good genes, that's for sure. We had severe storms on Wednesday night. Thursday morning newspaper reported a tornado was spotted in Gorham - corner of Libby and Rt. 25....JOHN'S OFFICE! All is OK, but what a rare occurance for Maine. Stay safe! Love, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dan ! Great going and soon you'll be heading home. Thanks so much for the birthday greeting. We had a nice birthday party at the condo with Glenn and Ruth and Mary your sister. We had crabmeat rolls. MMMM And a wonderful birthday cake. Take care and we hope to see you soon. Love Mormor and Farfar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dan...isn't Vermont lovely? We had a real nice day with Mormor and Farfar. I made that wonderful yellow cake with pudding and whipped cream. Glenn brought up great crabmeat rolls. I just read your entry on FB about the great dinner you are having tonight. Sounds like a good deal. Hope you are in a snorfree zone tonight!. Have a great walk tomorrow! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete