Saturday, July 17, 2010

Zero #9 (the 4th was #8)

Day 0 - 7/16/10
Had a horrible sleep in the cabin. Someone was sawing wood like crazy. So loud. Not getting any sleep resulted with me having a terrible headache when I woke up. Fortunately the caretaker had coffee ready, plus the pancakes like I had hoped (blueberry), so after that and a few ibuprofen my headache disappeared. I left there at 7am and made it to route 20 a little before 8. Craig wasn't there yet so I pulled out my book, and about 15 minutes later he rolled in. It was cool to see him, almost like it wasn't real. We hugged it out, then went on back toward Boston. On the way we talked about my trip and all sorts of other stuff. One thing we discussed was my still unmet craving for a Big Mac. So we stopped in at a Mcdonalds at one of the rest stops on the way, but unfortunately they don't start the burger menu until 10:30. Darn. Ended up getting some breakfast stuff instead, leaving there a little bit disappointed, but what can you do?

We got back to his place somewhere around 11. I immediately took a shower because on the carride he had mentioned how I smell. He didn't say it flat out, I asked, but he was honest about it. That's one thing you really get used to out on the trail because I didn't think I smelled that bad. Honestly I've stopped noticing it. The shower felt great though, one of the things I've been most looking forward to on this trip into Beantown. Some of his friends showed up a little later, two NE girls named Taylor and Chloe. We went to the beach in Gloucester, but not before picking up their other friend Missy on the way. Had a really nice time at the beach getting some sun and riding the waves. It actually wasn't too cold either so I went in multiple times. A couple other friends of Craig's showed up later at the beach, Adam and Dema. When we left we drove back through Saugus and went to Kelly's Roast Beef for some sandwiches. Really hit the spot after feeling a bit wiped from all the rays I got.

Made it back into Boston and took another shower, then Big C and I headed over to another friend's of his for a rooftop BBQ. Could this day get any better? We had burgers and hot dogs, plus some frosty beverages. The view from up on the roof was great too, you could see the skyline of Boston, the Pru and John Hancock and all those. I got to see a lot of my good friends from home, Leif, Thomas, Davin and others, which was really nice because I haven't seem any of them in a long time. We stayed over there for a long while so when we came back to Craig's I was too tired to write this up and post it until now. Anyway, had a nice day in and around Boston and looking forward to another tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your well deserved break, Dan. It sure must be great seeing old friends and enjoying the comforts of the city. Have a blast before continuing on your journey. Love, Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete