Sunday, July 18, 2010

Back on the AT again.

Day 90 - 7/18/10
Woke up around 9 and left Boston by 9:30 with Big C and his girlfriend
Sarah. Just for those that don't know, and I should have said this
sooner maybe, Big C and Craig are the same person, so when I use one
name it's interchangeable with the other. Hope that didn't confuse
anyone in earlier posts. We drove back to Lee on 90, stopping at
Dunkin Donuts somewhere along the way so I could get some breakfast.
Shortly thereafter we stopped at a McDonald's, this time making sure
it was past 10:30. When we got there at 10:40 I still saw the
breakfast menu up, so I asked what the deal was and found out this one
didn't start up the hamburgers until 11. I just had to get me two all
beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a
sesame seed bun (Big Mac). Craig knew how badly I'd been craving one
so we all waited for 11 to roll around. Turns out Sarah had never had
a Big Mac either so she also ordered one, and Craig did as well. Big
Mac party! This may sound scary/sad/strange/whathaveyou, but when the
server handed me the bag I felt my heart rate increase. I was ultra
excited on the inside, and when I took that first bite it did not
disappoint. Nor every succeeding bite. In fact it was fantastic, and
now I can die a happy hiker. All of my food cravings have been met, at
least until the next one hits.

We continued on and around 12:30 is when we made it to the parking
area drop off point. I said goodbye to the two of them and then walked
over to the trail to start my day. As I was walking away Big C said,
"You're the man, Dan" but really he's the man. He drove 4 hours round
trip twice to pick me up and drop me off. Just so I could have a few
days to hang out and relax in Boston. So Big C, once again, you're the
man. I really appreciate what you did, had a great time with you and
all the other guys in Beantown. Word.

The hiking was really nice today in terms of terrain. Mostly flat and
easy. It was a bit of rough going the first few miles because on
either side of the trail it was overgrown with prickly bushes that
scraped your arms and hurt. But after that it was okay. I only planned
on doing a short day to adjust back after the time off, so when I made
it to the first shelter, October Mt. Lean-to, I stopped and was about
to get situated for the night. I decided to check my book first to see
if there were any campsites maybe a few miles further up, just to do a
couple more, and I saw that there was this one house coming up you
could camp at. Only 2.2 miles away, and home of "the Cookie Lady" as
well. That settled it.

I made it in under an hour and when I showed up I saw Rainer and
Dewlap sitting at the picnic table eating blueberries they had picked
themselves. (This place is also a blueberry farm where you can pick
your own. 1 lb. for 2 dollars) I couldn't believe they were here, I
hadn't seem them since Trail Days in Damascus, VA. Something like 1100
miles ago. It was awesome to see them again because we had hiked a
good amount together in the beginning. They didn't stay, wanted to do
the 6+ miles to the next shelter, but we're planning on meeting up
tomorrow in Dalton for a pizza or something. Hopefully I can make that
happen.

When they left Roy (the Cookie Man) brought out some cookies for
myself and Pony who was also here. We hung out enjoying the awesome
oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, then he left to also make for that
shelter. Since I was staying they have you do a little work to help
out the place, so I mowed some grass around the blueberry plants for a
while. In that time Seeker and a new guy I'd never met named Brooklyn
showed up to tent as well. When I was done mowing I made some dinner,
a nice miso seaweed soup and a couple cookies, 1 no-bake my mom had
made for me and one of those hermit cookies. Plus I bought myself a
coke from the cookie folk. A very tasty and all around satisfying
meal. After that I had some time to talk with Jen on the phone before
I typed all this up. Not sure where I'm going to go tomorrow, but I do
know I'm going through Dalton and at the very least to Chesire, which
is only 7 or so miles south of Mt. Greylock, the highest peak in Mass.
at close to 3500 ft. So now it's time for bed. Goodnight.

Total miles: 1550

2 comments:

  1. Those no bakes sound good. You'll have to make me some when you get home! I'm eating my Clif Bar right now, and I gotta say, you were right. It's really good. Much better than any other energy bar I've had. Love you, miss you, and talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you finally satisfied your Big Mac obsession! Sure took awhile but all the same, I'm sure it made that Big Mac even better than it really is! I'm counting down the weeks to see you. You are really closing in and I plan on meeting up with you along the way in NH/Me.
    Mary and I had a blast on our whitewater trip. Our raft rescued a few people tossed from their raft in magic falls. It was cool but they were a little shaken. The video was great and our pics should be posted on the threeriversfun.com. Have a great time entering Vermont in the next day or two. Love you Dan

    ReplyDelete