Friday, July 9, 2010

Does this uphill ever end?

Day 83 - 7/9/10
Had a lazy morning, not leaving until about 8:15. I even read some of
The Hobbit while I ate breakfast. Very enjoyable, could be something I
continue in the future.

The temperature finally cooled down a bit, I think it only got up to
the mid 80's, plus there was many a nice breeze blowing throughout the
day. Today was still tough for me though, it felt like I was
constantly going uphill. The entire day. Yeah there'd be a steep dip
downhill here and there, but generally it seemed to be going up. Guess
it was just one of those days. I took a break right after I crossed
Dennytown Road because there was a spigot there and I wanted to take
advantage and drink a lot of water while I could. So I pulled out my
book and read some more, snacked, and drank. The Crusher and Ichabod
showed up a bit later, and I had an awesome Lord of the Rings
conversation with Crusher. Then some locals who had camped nearby were
walking back to their cars and offered us some leftover beers they
had. Sam Adams summer. Still cold too. That was cool.

I left there around 1:45, and just before I crossed NY 301 I saw a
giant black rat snake. At least 5 ft. and 3-4 inch diameter around
it's thickest part of the body. I poked it with my pole to see if it
would coil, but it just slithered away. Still neat though. When I
crossed that road and continued on up a series of hills that nestled
along a big lake I started to notice a ton of dry leaves covering the
trail. The crunching sound as I stepped over them reminded me of Fall
and Halloween. I guess it's been so dry that they can't even stay on
the trees. I'm not surprised, every water source I've passed in NJ &
NY listed as a brook, stream, or creek has either been dry or a
trickle that's pretty gross and almost stagnant.

Around 6 I hit a pretty good view up on Shenandoah mountain, and by 7
I had made it to the RPH shelter where the hiker feed was beginning to
wind down. I kind of missed mealtime, but there was leftovers I got a
chance to eat. Chicken, salad, and honeydew melon. Plus a couple
cokes. Not bad. Afterward I hung out with everyone else who made it
here, and I actually met my first SOBO thru hiker who started up in
Maine. Turns out he's from Maine too, and even crazier, Sebago.
Finally met someone who actually knows where Harrison is! Now it's
bedtime. Not sure where I'm headed tomorrow, but I think it's supposed
to be the coolest day of the week, so I'll have to take advantage of
that and really hike some bigger miles.

Total miles: 1418.5

2 comments:

  1. According to my calculations you're only 26+ miles from the Connecticut border ! Wow, you're making good miles. The temps have dropped here but the humidity is way up and still making life a little too sticky. I just watched a news story on Camp Wigwam because of a big anniversary date, not sure whether it's 100 or 150. It was very nice. Saw Jesse's Dad on it. You are 2/3 done on the trail. It doesn't seem possible. I remember in the beginning moving the peg along the map down on the bottom and now I'm reaching up. And just think....the best part is yet to come. Love you Dan.......Coon Cat.....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Dan, We think you have been moving along quite wellwith the hot days you have been having-it will soon be better we think. Thank you for the BD greeting-feeling everyone of those 89,Dan.& the recent weather has not helped-don't know how we could have made it if the AC had not been here, It's been on every day for sure. It helps us to have a marker so we can pin the map your Mom gave us, so if you know of a nearby town or fairly major road etc. we can pinpoint where you are. You sure are moving up the map now,DAn, & will soon be in Conn. & not too far from Mass. WE're thinking of you all the time & hope it goes well for uyou the rest of the trail. Love, M&F

    ReplyDelete