Saturday, July 31, 2010

Bittersweet Birthday.

Day 102 - 7/31/10
Stayed up kind of late watching television (more Discovery channel) so
when I woke up at 8 I was a bit groggy. Christie, Mom, and I went
downstairs and had the free continental breakfast, which reminded me a
lot of the one I had at the HoJos in Daleville. After eating we went
back upstairs and just did some good old fashion relaxing. Felt great.
Around ten we finally got to packing up, and by 11 had checked out.

I needed to get a new hiking shirt because the one I've been using
really smells. Had it since Springer Mt. in GA, so a new one was in
order. We drove back to Hanover, and I compared products and prices at
the two outfitters in town. I went with a Patagonia shirt from
Mountain Goat, and I'm happy with it. Hopefully it doesn't start to
smell right away. After that we walked around Hanover, going in some
stores and also around some of the Dartmouth campus. It was fun to
just stroll and do whatever, very different than most my days of late.

When it was lunchtime we went to the same pizza place I had gone
yesterday for my free slice. I tried a few of their different pies, a
BBQ pizza and a chicken bacon ranch Sicilian slice. Mom also bought a
batch of the garlic knots to share because of how good I said they
were. I think her and Christie both enjoyed them. It was funny going
back because half the patrons were hikers. That free slice gimmick
must bring in a lot of business, and is one reason why I'm sure they
do it. Word of free food spreads quickly on the trail.

The next place we hit up was Ben & Jerry's, which again I had done
yesterday after pizza. Almost like deja vú (sp?). I had some Cherry
Garcia, which is quickly becoming a new favorite of mine. I also
learned how that name and flavor came to be courtesy of a company
timeline poster. We walked back to the car as we finished our cones,
and by then it was close to 2pm so they had to get going.

We drove up to the trailhead, got out there and took some pictures.
They both walked over with me past the Dartmouth soccer field into the
woods where the AT continues on, took a few more photos, then said
goodbye. It was bittersweet because I was very happy to have seen
them, but it was over and done way too quickly, and so when I left
them I was a bit saddened and depressed. I started to really miss the
feeling of comfort, being able to see family, Jen, and real life in
general. I'm ready to get this thing done, but I know when I'm
finished I will also be sad that it's over. A lot of mixed emotions
going on.

Because I started rather late I didn't put in too many miles today.
Around 8.5. It was mostly flat out of Hanover, a few small bumps here
and there, but nothing like what's to come. I met a guy a few miles in
who just started today, doing a section from Hanover to Gorham, NH.
He's done everything south of there so he's very close to finishing up
the trail after this year. Pretty much just Maine left. We talked and
hiked together a bit, then I went ahead to be alone again. I kind of
wanted it to be that way today, especially after feeling a bit down.
Just so I could clear my head. Eventually the miles started adding up,
but when I came to Mink Brook and saw Kutsa, Tillerman, and Tequila
John had set up a nice campsite I decided to stay. By then it was
close to 6, so I was fine with stopping.

I called Jen after I had set up my tent and all. It was nice to be
able to talk to her a bit on my bday. Afterward I made dinner, then
hung out and talked with the others until about 8:30. A little past
nine now, so I'm heading to bed after this. Glad too because I'm very
tired. Tomorrow I have some mountains I have to start facing, and very
soon I will be in the Whites. Can't wait.

Total miles: 1745.9

1 comment:

  1. Miss ya Dan....it was great seeing you. You will be home before you know it. So drink up every moment left of the trail. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete