Tuesday, July 13, 2010

CT said, "I ain't done with you yet, boy." So I stayed.

Day 87 - 7/13/10
I can't for the life of me wake up before 7am now. I used to start
hiking by 7, but now I'm lucky if I start moving around by then. It's
not like I avoid waking up because I dread the day. It's more a sign
of how physically and mentally tired I am. I just can't do it. So I
hope the few days off in Boston will help me recoup and allow me to
start early once again.

I left around 8:20 after packing up then eating. Nothing much exciting
happened until I came to US 7 (road) and saw a big orange sign saying
Appalachian Detour. The trail is supposed to cross the Housatonic on
some bridge, but they are doing construction on it so basically I did
a long out of the way road-walk for about 4 miles. Not very fun. When
I made it to Falls Village (where the detour picks up the AT again) I
took a break in this park with some picnic tables. It was necessary
for me to regroup after the annoyance of detours, and it made me feel
better.

After that I passed by these crazy waterfalls that feed into a hydro
plant in Falls Village, then I came to a nice spring and stopped to
refill on the good water. Springs are always best because it's fresh
from the mountains. They are what I prefer. I hustled along and came
to some nice viewspots (Rands View), then this crazy stone that juts
out of the ground called Giants Thumb. It almost looked like it was
from outer space, with strange textures and the just the way it stuck
out in the middle of nowhere. I took some samples for further
analysis. (Kidding about that, but now I wish I had the more I think
about it.)

I came to the road you can take into Salisbury pretty soon after that,
and so decided to head into town for something to eat. I ended up
doing a really nice lunch by first going to a bistro and ordering a
panini, then going to the grocers and getting 4 plums, a bag of chips,
chocolate milk, and a Dr. Pepper. I took all of that to a small park
area nearby, plopped down, and enjoyed my feast. The panini was really
good, and again I was reminded of food from the Piano Row cafe at
Emerson. Remember those sandwiches Jen? We used to get them all the
time. When it was time to leave I realized I may have eaten a little
too much because it was tough going for a while. Too much pressure on
my stomach from the hip belt.

From out of Salisbury it was a good climb. The only bummer was that
it started to rain as I was going up, not heavy like the other day but
still enough to get you wet. So I made an unplanned stop into Riga
Lean-to to dry off a bit and get out of the rain. That stopped after a
while, but this place has an amazing view down into the valley, and
since I was the only one here I decided to stay. It's a few miles
short of where I wanted to be (I'm still in CT), but because I made it
in early I'm hoping I can get to bed at a decent time and maybe get in
one of those early wake ups that seems to evade me now.

I made dinner here, some mac and cheese, did some reading, and even
played around a bit with the harmonica and jews harp Evelyn gave me.
It was fun to get a chance to play finally, and since no one was
around I was free to be as terrible as I want. I wish I knew how to
play the harmonica a little, it's such a nice instrument but I don't
have any real knowledge aside from tinkering around. Guess I'll just
keep messing with it and see what happens. Still fun though. And I
also love the crazy sounds you can get out of the jews harp. It's a
litte past 8 now, not quite bedtime, so that means I'll probably do a
little more reading and playing. It's been a really nice evening, and
a great end to my day.

P.S. to Dad. We should go to Santapio's when I'm in Boston and we meet
up. Tell Mike B to come too.

Total miles: 1493.5

3 comments:

  1. I remember those paninis like it was yesterday! They were so good! I say next time we're both in Boston we go get some. So funny that you had mac n cheese for dinner, I'm making mac n cheese right now! I love you Monk, thanks for the lovely text today. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan! Sounds like your hike is going well. I'm sure you will really enjoy your R & R with Craig. Great you can meet up with Dad too. I think with your rest and approaching cooler temps, you will have less physical and mental weariness. Also you will be back in wilderness which is where you really want to be. I'm glad you're getting some harp and harmonica practice. Keep it up. Many great harmonica players are self taught. Time for bed for me. I just watched the national league beat the AL for th first time in 14 years. Oh, Big Papi won the home run derby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dont worry about wake up/bed times... go to sleep with the sun and wake up with the sun. When you started out you were up at 6 because thats when the sun was up; the sun doesnt even want to wake up that early!

    ReplyDelete