Monday, July 19, 2010

Bored walks on boardwalks.

Day 91 - 7/19/10
That's what the first few miles were like for me. Flat and through
areas dominated by wooden planks. They use those in places where
flooding can occur, near swamps, brooks, streams, and the bugs like
those enviroments too, so that was a little bothersome.

I stopped in at the first shelter, Kay Wood Lean-to, at around 10:45
just as a small rainstorm was passing through. I waited it out by
reading some of The Hobbit. I started that book over 500 miles ago,
and Bilbo still hasn't taken back the treasure from Smaug. Getting
close though. The rain stopped by 11 so I went back to the trail and
did the 3 miles into Dalton, MA in an hour fifteen. I saw a few
hikers, Pony, Brooklyn, and others hanging out at this guy's house
where he let's you tent. I guess they were all staying, and since it
was so early he was taking them into Pittsfield to see a movie. I said
goodbye, felt a little depressed I wasn't getting to see a movie too,
then walked through town about a mile to where it picks up the trail
again. I loved walking through because it reminded me a lot of home.
Small New England town. I miss it.

The hike out was uphill about 800 feet, but it was over a span of 3
miles so it was nice and gradual. Not much to see up there, although
near the top was a pretty pond. I'm really liking how there's a lot of
those at the tops of mountains around CT & MA. After getting to the
peak I started going right back down, making it into Chesire at around
4:20. I had already done 18.5 at that point so I decided to stay in
town at the St. Mary's church. It's a free place so there's no showers
or laundry, but they have a bathroom and a place you can put your
sleeping bag to sleep. Plus it's nice and air conditioned. After I set
up my spot I explored the town a bit, and unfortunately everything
seemed to be closed or closing. I made it to the convenience store
just in time to get a new lighter for my stove, then as I walked to
the pizza place I saw they're closed only on Mondays, the one day I'm
in this town. I ended up going to the liquor store for some snacks,
then to this dinky ice cream place that makes sandwiches and other
stuff. Dewlap and Rainer were sitting there when I showed up so we ate
together and hung out. Three Bears, the other hiker who's staying at
the church tonight, came by soon after and ate with us as well. I
ended up getting a roast beef sandwich, plus two small hot dogs,
smaller than average size, and an ice cream cone.

When I was done I went back to the church and just relaxed, reading
and listening to some music. It is so nice to have done a good 18+
mile day, and yet still be finished up by 4:30. Also I just want to
mention that the gear replacements, new boots and pack, are working
out well, so thanks Dad for helping me out with all that. Soon it'll
be bed time. Hopefully I'll get an early start out of here so I can
conquer Greylock early on. Might be in VT by tomorrow! We shall see.

Total miles: 1568.5

2 comments:

  1. Pittsfield is where we got Peanut! Did you see any Great Danes running around? Lovely chatting with you tonight. Have fun hiking tomorrow. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan, I'm sure you're glad to be back on the trail again. It's nice to spend time with friends, but sometimes it's even better to be back at it, whatever "it" might be, in your case hiking the AT. So, there's another "Cookie Lady" in the area? That's what my friends call me because of my Christmas cookies. Nice that there are more of "us" around. Baking can be very therapeutic. When you get back to LA, I'll send more of my specialties. Will try to get some to Jen in the meantime. Hope the remainder of the trail brings more trail magic, hiker feeds, and the like. I like to think those generous folks also reside in NE, as they did along the other parts of the AT. As always, stay safe, healthy, happy. Aloha, P&J

    ReplyDelete