Thursday, July 15, 2010

Cabin fever, of the Upper Goose variety.

Day 89 - 7/15/10
Had a nice slow morning, taking my time getting packed up. I was out
at 8:30 and had an opposite hiking day from yesterday. It started off
bad and ended up being a great day by the end. But when it was bad, it
was BAD! I've dealt with the heat, rain, poison ivy, ticks, and every
other annoyance you could have out here, but the mosquitos and
deerflies today almost caused me to have my first breakdown. I'm
outnumbered 1000 to 1, and they are frustratingly relentless with
their biting. They were so bad for the first 7-8 miles that I was on
the verge of insanity. I almost sat down on the trail and quit, not
for the day, but the entire thing. I couldn't stand it.

I pushed through it and eventually they died down in number and
agressiveness. I win AT! I beat you this round! It was certainly a
test of will, and I'm glad to say I overcame it. So by the time I made
it to Fernside Rd. they were gone and that's when my day turned
around. I could hike without bugs all up in my grill, and because of
that I was able to hike much faster. The miles flew by. Before I knew
it I was only 5 miles from where I planned on stopping for the day,
Upper Goose Pond Cabin. Sure enough that section flew by too, and at 6
I was pulling into the place.

It's a nice shelter, a cabin right on this large, clean pond. There's
no electricity, but there is a gas stove that the caretaker uses. I've
heard he makes pancakes for breakfast in the morning, fingers crossed!
It was a bit strange showing up here because all the other hikers here
are ones I've never met. All really nice though. There's Kutsa, Bear,
Aqua, Rocket, Tillerman, Tequila Jon, and a few others. Somewhat
overwhelming to meet so many new people at once, but fun all the same.

I made dinner out back and then hung out with the others afterward,
just talking and stuff. I'm tempted to swim, but since I'll be heading
into Boston tomorrow with Big C that means I'll get to shower, so I
guess I'll hold off. I can't wait for some time off, a couple zeros
where I can just relax with friends. I really pushed it to make it to
Lee, MA on time so I'm pretty beat. But I did it. Can't wait for
tomorrow.

Total miles: 1540.6

3 comments:

  1. Dan, Way to tough it out! Mosquitos and deer flies buzzing around are the worst. But, you prevailed! A few days in Boston will set you up for the final leg of your journey...HOME! I can't believe your progress so far! Love Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan, Finally, in MA and taking some much earned time off! I'm sure your friends will be very happy to see you, and your Dad will be even moreso! Thank goodness those mosquitos and deerflies stopped pestering you early on. Can't believe they're so bad as to have the thought of quiting, enter your mind. Keep strong, especially if you meet more of them when you resume your journey. You've done a phenomenal job so far! As I said, you earned the few zero days in Boston! Re-energize yourself, rest the knee, ankles, etc. Hope you can get the new backpack quickly! BTW, I think I'm hooked on clifbars - they were on sale at Stop n Shop and I bought some to try. Chewy and very yummy! Enjoy the zeros. Aloha, P&J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DAN LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOU IN BOSTON YOU DESERVE A BREAK NO WHERE BETTER TO GET WITH BIG C ALWAYS REMEMBER YOUR MISSION COON-CAT AND GOAL "TO HIKE THE A T " WITH OVER 1500 MILES UNDER YOUR BELT YOU ARE NOE IN THE TOP 10% OF THRU HIKERS WHO MAKE IT TO MAINE THE 100 MILE WOODS IS WAITING FOR YOU AS ARE ME AND DAVE WITH THE CANOE IN CARRATUNCK TO CROSS THE KENNEBECK ANYWAYS REMEMBER THE SERENITY PRAYER ACCEPT WHAT YOU CANT CHANGE THE BUGS AND DIFFICULT DAYS AND DO WHAT YOU DID DIG DOWN DEEP AND CHANGE YOUR ATTITUDE AND KEEP AN ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE FOR YOUR HEALTH AND ABILITY TO BE WHERE YOU ARE AND THE LAST 700 MILES WILL BE LIKE STARTING IN GEORGIA ONE STEP AND DAY AT A TIME... SEE YOU SOON WITH THE GOODS I AM SO EXCITED TO SEE YOU AND GRATEFUL MYSELF PEACE OUT P. S. FAR-FAR & MOR-MOR ARE DOING MUCH BETTER AND WILL BE BLOGGING ON SUNDAY WHEN YOU RESUME LOVE DAD

    ReplyDelete