Saturday, July 24, 2010

Zero #11

Day 0 - 7/24/10
Woke up around 7:30 and went downstairs for breakfast. They had a
bunch of cereals down there so I had Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Cocoa
Crispies. Nice to have some of that, I rarely get to have milk
anymore. Jeff shuttled me into town at 9:30 to the bookstore where I
met Rainer & Dewlap. I dropped my pack off at Sutton's Place, which is
where they were staying, then we walked downtown to get second
breakfast. I had scrambled eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, sourdough toast,
and coffee. Really tasty, and Rainer & Dewlap paid for mine because of
a pizza I had bought for all of us way back in Damascus, VA. Thought
that was really nice of them.

Afterward we split up and I went to check out the outfitter again, and
also the movie theater to see what was playing, but there was nothing
good so I walked back up to the place we were staying and caught up on
some guidebook journaling. I try to put notes here and there in my
book at places where something special happens or a cool view, and I
hadn't written anything since Kent, CT.

After I had finished up that I just lounged around, watching
television and eating. Today was the most relaxing zero I've had
because I really didn't do much. Most times I'm running around getting
things done, laundry, resupply, etc., but not today. Just what the
doctor ordered. I ended up getting sucked into this show for several
hours called Duel Survivor. It's on Discovery Channel and it's about
these two guys who go into different ecosystems and try to find their
way back to civilization. Makes what I'm doing seem tame in
comparison, but these guys also have years of experience and all. It
really is amazing what they can do out there with limited supplies. I
love the Discovery Channel.

After watching a ton of that I took a shower, then Rainer, Dewlap, and
I went out to get some dinner at a pizza place. I had a turkey and
bacon panini that was very good. They both had pasta. Then we walked
back to the Inn, and I was tempted to get a pint of Cherry Garcia on
the way back after realizing how good it was when I ate it at Green
Mountain House last night, but I was too full and didn't want to
overdue it. We made it back and started watching One Flew Over The
Cuckoos Nest on AMC. Good Nicholson flick. It's about 9:30 now so I'll
be heading to bed shortly. Back to the trail tomorrow. Been a nice day.

2 comments:

  1. I was watching that movie too. I saw it years ago but even better, Dad and I went to see the play in Boston at the Shubert Theatre many years ago. Glad that you are having a relaxing day. You needed one of those. Can't wait to see you soon in NH. Take it easy. Enjoy your walk. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan, I was in the middle of typing a comment when my laptop did something (?!) that put me back in square one. Don't know what happened to it. Anyway, Great photo album, except I could do with less snakes. Beautiful views! Glad too, that you're able to take a nice leisurely zero. You deserve that! Take full advantage of the lazy day. Then, you'll be "full steam ahead" for the rest of the trip. As usual, enjoy the journey, stop and smell the roses (well, at least the wildflowers), take in the scenery, and hope you find many, many more trail magic! Take care! Aloha, P&J.

    ReplyDelete