Sunday, May 2, 2010

Happy May 1st!

Day 21 - 5/1/10
Well it's been 3 full weeks of hiking now, and after a long day I made
it past the 300-mile mark.

I got a late start, leaving camp at 8:30. For some reason I just
didn't want to get up. I left with this couple who are my age, Dulap
(girl) and Rainer. I met them at Standing Bear and have been hiking
the same miles as them since. They went ahead of me early on, but we
pretty much leap frogged the whole day.

Before I made it to the first shelter I passed a parade of kids, ages
7-13, and some adult chaperones (sp?). One of the kids said, "Hey,
hiker dude." to me. Chuckle. I also recieved a little trail magic from
one of the adults, she gave me a PB&J sandwich. Hit the spot.

Within 15 minutes after that I was at the 1st shelter. By now it was
12:30 and turning into another scorcher. Not Worthy was there taking a
break, he had left way before me and I hadn't seem him all morning. I
ended up taking a lengthy break there myself, leaving at 1:15. Right
after that place was this steep 1000 ft incline at just over 1.25
miles. All the water I was drinking just sweated out of me on my way
up that thing. It was tough, like being back in Georgia.

After that climb it wasn't too bad. There was one point where I came
across a sign that said RIDGELINE VIEWS (white blaze) BAD WEATHER
TRAIL (blue blaze). I did the former and there were some very nice
photo ops up on that ridge. Rocky climbing though. I came to the
second shelter at 4:45. That was already a 15+ mile day, but I didn't
really want to stop. The weather was great all day, no rain like I had
expected, so I wanted to keep on letting it ride. Dulap and Rainer
came in at 5, then Not Worthy came in at 5:15, but they all decided to
stay, so I said goodbye and pressed on. I was only going to do 2 more
miles up to this campsite on top of Big Butt (this is the second
mountain I've come across with this name), but I was feeling so good I
pushed to the next shelter instead, a total of 6 miles from the
previous one. I made it in at 7:40, quickly snagged a spot inside the
shelter and then made dinner. Normally I wouldn't sleep in there but
it may rain tonight and I didn't want a wet tent.

Somewhere on Big Butt is the 300th mile, but it's not marked or
anything. Since I knew I passed that I decided to light up the cigar
Christie got me from Mexico to celebrate. I smoked it while I wrote
this. I'm very tired, today was my longest yet at 21.3 miles, but I'm
also happy I pushed myself. I'm heading to bed now, tomorrow I'm
thinking of doing a 19. That way I'd be in Erwin, TN by Monday. Might
zero there. Oh, the name of this shelter I'm at tonight is Flint
Mountain Shelter.

Total miles: 304.1

6 comments:

  1. hey coon cat , ur journal is great, i have a friend that is making this same trail, almost one day behind of you, soooo, i need a favor, just if u can,,,, whrite a note for him in the next shelter ( in a paper for example) maybe tonight ( if u spend the night there) his trailname LONDON
    saying this : Ey Joe Reeves(LONDON) Katahdin is waiting you , be brave and keep walking....
    Smile¡¡¡¡¡ besos , Pau

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would name a mountain Big Butt? Really? Anywho, it was nice getting to talk to you today, even for only a minute. I felt like I hadn't heard your voice in forever. Enjoy all the nice weather you've been getting out there, sounds like for the most part you've been pretty lucky. I love you and miss you and hope you're having fun! Love, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on 300+. That is wonderful and with a little trail magic to boot. Have a whoppin good time in Erwin! Rest up and no more cereal boxes in one sitting! Spring is full bloom here along with the black flies. Christie and I did a bunch of work at the SR and had fun. Tobi was also with us. The girls and I went to Chutes for breakfast and we really missed you being there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you're making great progress. The weather has been incredible here, it was 80 yesterday. I talked to a buddy in TN yesterday, he lives in Jackson, halfway between Memphis and Nashville. They had tornadoes and 17" of rain. He said roads are washed out everywhere.
    Mor Mor and Far Far came down for dinner yesterday, grilled up three big slabs of baby backs! Kari graduates this Friday, she is really excited. She has NU graduation stuff going on this week; Red Sox Tuesday night, and Harbor (booze) cruise Wed night. We'll be going to the graduation Friday morning, then staying in Boston that night.
    Good luck, and keep on truckin' !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Coom cat= Congrats. on 300 - another big mark. It's so interesting to read your blog and also thecomments. even with the lkate start to make 21.3 miles in your time is really moving we think--and it's not a nice even path to walk on We can just imagine some of the climbs and nice sharp rocks to step on.Now you are even helping someone else with maybe a bit of cheering up-at least that''s what we thought. you've made lots of friends on the trail so far & we know that's whaty makes your journey so intereting. All your family & friendsare proud of you, DAn Love, m& F

    ReplyDelete