Friday, May 21, 2010

Sunny with a chance of murder!

Day 36 - 5/20/10
Today the weather finally turned around, so I woke up to sunshine instead of rain. It was a very welcome change.

I was the first to leave, which I did so at 8 o'clock. The morning was glorious, and seeing blue skies again was such a good feeling that I had to stop so I could take several huge inhales of fresh mountain air. It felt like forever since I had seen a morning like that, so it was necessary to take in the full experience.

One annoying thing about being first to leave though is that you're the one that walks through all the morning cobwebs. These tiny little catapillers put them up all across the trail, from trees to plants, plants to leaves, sticks to trees, and so on. They're almost invisible, but every time I go through one I can feel it get stuck in my beard, face, armhair, nose, etc. It's very itchy and uncomfortable. I've only been first a few other times, and sure enough its happened every time. So there are some downsides to getting that headstart.

The walk to the first shelter flew by, and by 12 I had made it the 10 miles to it. I stopped for lunch, a healthy blend of pepperoni and Snickers. As I geared up to leave many people who had stayed at the last shelter with me started rolling in. It seemed like many of them would do the 14 to the next shelter like I was planning, so I said, "See you there," then pressed on.

I made it to 606 (a road) at 2:45 and stopped to take a break. Just before that I had crossed this long, narrow suspension bridge that was wooden and wobbly. It was really fun to cross, and made me feel like Indiana Jones. Just missing the lasso. Anyway, at 606 there was a general store about .5 miles down, and I almost went to get a burger or pizza, but decided against it. I figured I'll be in Pearisburg soon enough, and I'll get myself a treat then. Plus I still had 8 miles to go.

The last 5-6 of those miles were terribly boring. It was just very flat and dull. It'd be like this: Long flat stretch. Small bridge to cross stream. Slight uphill. Repeat. Over and over. Finally I made it to the shelter, and the two guys who were here, Trashman and Laid Back, completely agreed about how boring it was. So if you want to section hike, don't choose this one. I also talked with them about the history of this shelter. Apparently a murder took place here at Watipi shelter. The guy was caught and went to prison, then 20 years later when he was out came back to the same area (I guess a few miles away but very close to the shelter) and attempted to kill two other hikers, but they both lived. That was actually one thing I was thinking about a lot while hiking that boring section alone. I did get creeped out a few times, and looked over my shoulder more than I normally do.

I cooked up some rice with garlic for dinner, and it was getting later, maybe around 7:30, and still no one had shown up. I was surprised because it seemed like many had planned on it. Now it's 9 and still no one has come, so I'm glad these other two were here, especially with all the disturbing history of this place. I wouldn't want to be here alone. I'm going to do a nearo (near zero) tomorrow to this hostel that's supposed to be very nice, they even do massages. It's around 6 miles, so it'll be an easy day. However, if they don't do shuttles into town (Pearisburg) my plans might change and I'll probably just push it to town for resupply reasons. Let's hope they do a shuttle.

Total miles: 609.8

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dan! Thanks for creeping me out about that murderer. I'm glad, too, that there were the other 2 hikers there in that shelter with you that night. Paul said that the most dangerous thing in the forest is man. That just added to my being creeped out! Great to hear that you're possibly planning a "nearo" tomorrow. You've been doing terrific and deserve to take short days (or zero days) now and again. I hope your molding tent situation is better. Haven't had a chance to get in touch with your mom yet, but tomorrow I'm planning on dropping by the BassPro shop at Patriot's Place, to see if they have anything or can recommend anything. Keep us informed on the tent situation - hope it gets better by following Ian's recommendations. Anyway, as always, stay safe, stay healthy, enjoy it all along the way. Aloha, P&J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan..........Wow..past 600 miles. So hard to believe. I'm sure there will be boring parts along the trail but try to look for the hidden special things. I was thinking about your blog about making up stories along the way and I think that's a really creative thing to do(especially through the boring parts). Then I was thinking maybe you would like one of those tiny recorders to record some of your ideas so you don't forget them. Would you like me to send one of those? Are you in Pearisburg tonight? Let me know about the next mail drop. Guess what? Dad got a turkey! Going to cook it up tomorrow. Love you Dan...good night

    ReplyDelete