Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Zero #2

Day 0 - 5/4/10
Took the zero. Glad I did, just so my feet could get a break. They're not in bad shape by any means, but still I'm sure they appreciate a day off.

I didn't sleep great in the bunkhouse, I tossed and turned all night, so that was a little annoying. I think my body is now more used to sleeping on the ground. I woke up about 8, saw some hikers leaving, but around 8:30 is when the flood began. People started pouring into Uncle Johnny's, at least 15 showed up by 11:30, so I'm glad I made it in the previous day. It's very crowded, but I was happy to see many of my friends again, including Not Worthy, Dewlap (I spelled her name wrong last time), Rainer, and even Markus (got his wrong too, I just learned Germans use a K not a C). He hobbled in and I could see his ankle was in rough shape. He'll be taking a couple zeros at Uncle Johnny's to give it a break. I hope it helps so I see him again up along the trail.

So the hostel was a beehive all morning. Everyone was laying out their gear to dry, doing laundry, showering, taking bikes into town, etc. I was excited and overwhelmed, but seeing everyone all together made me feel so good. When 12:30 rolled around I took the free shuttle into town with 10 others and went to this small pizza place that does a buffet. It was funny walking in there with a huge crowd and all doing the buffet. They couldn't make pizzas fast enough, we all just devoured them. It was totally worth it too, only 7.67 per person!

After that I went into a dollar store across the parking lot and picked up some Icy Hot. I've got some sore muscles and figured I could use it. The shuttle picked us up at 2:00, took us to the post office for anyone that needed it, then brought us back to the hostel around 2:30. I had a cup of coffee with Markus, took down my tent, then hung around until it was close to 4. I rode a bike down the street to where I got service and made a phonecall to Jen, then a quick one to my Mom to clarify my maildrop that I'll be getting in Damascus.

It's almost 6 o'clock now, and I haven't gone down the trail a ways to set up my tent yet. I don't want to spend money on another night, 1 is good enough, but I like being back with all my hiker buddies. I've still got at least 2 hours of daylight to decide, and in the morning you will all know which path I chose. Either way, I'm back on the trail tomorrow, hopefully an early start! It has been great here at Uncle Johnny's, but it is definitely time for me to leave.

Paulina, I don't want you to think I've been rude, but I didn't see your comments until I was already here at the hostel. I will leave your message at the first and second shelters I come to tomorrow, so I hope your friend will see them. If not, there are plenty of nice people out here doing the hike that support one another, so I'm sure your friend has people backing him all the way. He'll make it to Katahdin!

7 comments:

  1. u are amazing¡¡¡¡ good luck buddy¡¡¡¡
    saludos desde Chile... Paulina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Danny Boy, you're really truckin along well and having great adventures. Spring happening here, probably 4 weeks behind where you are. Bs are 2 and 0 with Philly series, Sox creamed LAA last night after dropping 3 in a sweep by BALTIMORE!!!!!!!!!!! Arrgghhhhh. As you approach Va. and the Blue Ridge Skyline your Mom can tell you about all the great times we had as kids camping there with Mor and Far. Big Black snake if high on trail away from water probably was Black racer (non poison) and not Moccasin (poison), usually Mocs are closer to water source, chunky and shorter. Best bet.... GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE! Just kidding. Anyway, you're getting lots of hits on your blog and have a good following. That's wonderful. Have a great time in those towns and stops you make, but remember, ETOH dehydrates you, take plenty of H2O along! Truck on Coon Cat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the Celts creamed Lebron ! That was cool! Have a great return to the trail. Expect 2 packages in Damascus. Please text a photo of you and your buddies! Or maybe you on the bike ! Sweet dreams ! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how this entry is kinda like a cliffhanger! I loved being able to talk to you today! I know it'll be a while until we can talk again, so it was nice to be able to talk for a while. I love you and miss you mucho!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daniel son!

    I need to tell you about a horrible dream I had... So it was about 3am when I awoke suddenly with a vision of you with your back pack on and lookin all hiker like, BUT you had SHAVED YOUR BEARD! "NOOOO..!!" I yelled as came out of my slumber. I sighed in relief when I realized it was only at dream. I guess this just means that I'm really interested learning what your beard looks like haha Is it Jim Kothe status yet?

    Dan, your adventures are incredible and I am thoroughly impressed with your progress. It sounds like the people you've met along the way have been great. Your relationships will only get better as you push along. I hope Markus has a speedy recovery. I wish you the best of luck on the trail my brother!

    My official graduation ceremony is this friday morning!! at the TD Bank Garden! My immediate family including my Gram (almost 92 years old) are coming to support me. I'm going on a Boston Harbor booze cruise with all the seniors tonight after work, should be a great time. So far this has been a great week for Boston Sports teams, let's hope they can keep it up.

    Stay Safe and travel happy!

    Your Brother
    C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big C, Not sure who you are, but you must have gone to NU, because my daughter Kari Brewer graduates Friday morning at the Garden. She went to the Sox game last night, and is going on the booze cruise tonight. Her birthday is tomorrow, and graduation Friday. I hope she survives this week!! Dan, you should have mentioned something about Big C and Kari. Keep on truckin' !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Coon Cat, We think you are sure entiteled to a day to rest upp the bod & probably even more the feet, We hope the hot pak helps the sore back or hip. you've made fine progress to date & it's probably good to let some of your trail friends catch up. so you can be together at times. You no doubt all walk at different paces & times & sometimes it may be time to just be by yourself. You have been writing some great blogs,Dan. We think everyone is enjoying the read. You sound happy & we think you are doing just great. Your Mom & John are going to open up the Stump Ranch on Sat. & wouildn't you knowit's to be a rainy day. Christie & your Mom did everything but get the pump on before. Happy Trails, Dan Love M & F

    ReplyDelete