Monday, May 10, 2010

I Love Trail Magic or: How a Hostess Cake Helped Me Hike a Marathon and then Some

Day 28 - 5/9/10
Slept pretty well in the shelter even though it was a cold night.
First time in a while I've had my bag all the way zipped up. I got up
and moving at 6-6:30ish and was on my way by 7:15. I ended up stopping
at 8 and fortunately had service enough to call and wish my Mom a
happy mother's day.

After we spoke it was around 8:30 so I got moving again and started
what would be a very long day. The first section was nice, mostly
steady incline, and so I made it the 7 miles to the first shelter at
11. Several people I had camped with the night before were there. I
had some of my snacks and then pressed on.

I didn't really stop for any breaks until the next shelter, almost
another 7 miles. By then I had already devoured my food for the day so
I started digging through my reserves for something to eat. Lately I
haven't been able to make my day rations last past noon because I'm
always hungry. I may need to start buying more stuff to munch during
the day. I ended up eating an uncooked Ramen noodle, which sort of
tastes like a cracker, but crunchier. Another hiker I met a while ago
told me about it. It's actually not that bad.

After eating and writing a quick note in the shelter journal I headed
out, and within a mile down the trail I met a guy going south. He told
there was trail magic maybe 3-4 miles ahead by the road. This got me
very excited so I started to really bring on the speed. I was praying
that the people providing the magic wouldn't leave before I got there.
Maybe 2 hrs. later I start hearing cars, so I know it's gotta be
coming up. A few minutes go by and then I come to this orange metal
box 10 ft. off the trail. Turns out a local church has this set up
with a cooler and snackbox in it. The cooler was full of cokes and
pepsi (with ice!) and the snack box had several different snack cakes
in it. So this was the trail magic, and man did it lift my spirits. It
was not what I had expected when the guy had told me about it earlier,
but it still was just as amazing. I don't know if there was magic in
those cakes or something, but I was just on top of the world after
that. I was faster, happier, and didn't want to stop. I did another 3
miles to the next shelter in an hour, which put me at 21.5, but the
magic snack cakes and coke were still carrying me so I decided to
really push to the next shelter. It was 5:30, and it was over 8 miles,
so I'd really have to fly to make it before dark.

And so I did. Another 8.3 miles to Abingdon shelter. I made it just as
it was getting dark, so I was very happy. Plus I had been walking a
ridgeline the last few miles so I got to see this amazing orange/
purple sunset to my left. A very nice view to end the day with. When I
got to Abingdon I was beat so I did up my fav (rice & tuna with
tobasco) and scarfed it. A sectioner from Alabama named Neal talked
with me while I ate, which was nice because with my pace today I
really had no company. I didn't even clean my pots I was so tired, I
just threw my sleeping pad and bag in the shelter and now I'm buried
inside. It's gonna be another cold one I can tell. I did 29.8 miles
today, I almost can't believe it. Don't think I would have without
that trail magic. Short 10-miler into Damascus tomorrow!

Total miles: 453.3

5 comments:

  1. Hi coon cat- should be scooter Dan we think You had aperfect day. the trail magic must have some effect. WE just can hardly believe you did 29.8 miles, Dan. That's one for your record book we think. You sounded so happy & having the chance to talk to your Mom for Mother's day topped it we feel. You are having the same cold we are . it has been 40 45 the last two morns. You may be too early for trail days now-though your Mom said they have some early events anyway. You'll be ready for a reaal break anyway so you may stay a while. You'll soon be into your fourth state and we are just amazed at your progress. Have fun & stay healthy Love, M &F

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! Basically 30 miles!?! Wow Dan, you are doing SO good! This makes me really happy! Everyday I highlight my map as you chug along and the path completed gets longer and longer, you'll be home in no time! I'm very proud of you and I love you very much!

    p.s. Mom and Ruth, since you guys asked in the last post and Dan probably won't get a chance to respond...Pibb is The Coca Cola Company's attempt at Dr. Pepper. It's pretty gross, but Dan loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy smokes! bro you amaze me. i was telling the er staff about what you have been doing and they are so impressed! i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan! We used to eat raw ramen noodles in 5th grade at snack time and then play and trade pogs, until that became illegal and then so did the ramen since we used the floor to crunch them up and the janitors complained about the crunchy noodle covered carpets! I suppose it's much better eating them in the wilderness! Be careful- No bear trails though! You are amazing dan! I want u to see the DVD I have on the guys who ran the sahara and the part that they talk about how much food the began to consume and still lost 30% of their body weight after 112 days! It's crazy! Enjoy it. Whenever I am feeling lazy about working out I think about you on the trail! And most days I can muster up some energy that way! This is all seriously awesome! You go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danny-boy/Coon cat on catnip! Wow and double WOW!! I can't believe that you did just a hair shy of 30 miles in one day!! Either there was a whole lot of sugar in that snack cake or you're really hiped on getting to Damascas or your're really hiped on getting back home! Either way, awesome job! I'm really proud of you and all your posts are so detailed and interesting reading - yep, you're a writer - that I couldn't help but tell Paul's sisters and relatives about it. Haven't had a chance to get in touch with your Mom, but will be sending her a note soon. Hopefully, there's something I can add to her next maildrop that will be of some use to you without adding weight. Keep on truckin', keep safe, enjoy Damascus. Aloha, P&J.

    ReplyDelete