Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My Atkins, VA diet: Reese's cups, Dr. Pepper, Salt & Vinegar chips, vanilla Milk.

Day 33 - 5/17/10
I did not sleep well in the shelter because someone was snoring, and
so midway through the night I had to put in my earplugs. It helped,
but being woken up and then trying to get back to sleep always takes
forever and then I wake up very tired the next day. That's what
happened this morning. So it took me a while to get moving, and I
didn't end up leaving until after 7:30.

I started alone, but when I stopped for a snack break Red Stick and
another hiker I had met last night named Babalu caught up. Then two
section SOBOs came down the trail and stopped to talk. One of them
works for that Enertia Trail Foods company that sold those awesome no
bake cookie things I bought, and he was happy when he saw I had some
in my pack. No free samples today though. We went on our way and Red
Stick fell behind a bit, I think probably because he likes to take a
lot of pictures, so Babalu and I ended up hiking the 4 miles to the
shelter together. I enjoyed talking to someone who was my age about
things like movies and TV shows and that sort of stuff. Those topics
aren't discussed too often out here, which I miss from time to time.
So it went by quick and we were there at the shelter by 11:15.

Red Stick pulled in soon after, so then the three of us talked about
mileage for the day. Babalu was thinking of camping, which normally I
have no problem with, but I was concerned about having to set up in
the rain. It had already showered on and off many times, and it was
likely to continue to do so the rest of the day. The next shelter was
over 18 miles away, so I was considering pushing to there, doing a 25+
day. Both options had pros and cons, so I was in a bit of a dilemma,
and decided to hold back on a decision for the time being.

I pressed on for the next phase alone, and had a good leisurely hike
into a town called Atkins. One thing I'm already noticing that I
really enjoy about VA are these points on the trail where you're
walking through woods and then almost out of nowhere you come to a
huge clearing of farmland. There's often big red barns and grazing
cattle way off in the distance, which I just find to be really neat. I
passed through several of these old farmland type areas on my way into
Atkins.

You don't walk through or near the actual town though, just several
gas stations very close to I-81. Actually it was the same gas station
I had pulled into the day before when I was getting a ride back to the
trail. Seemed like it was so much further away, but then again we were
driving and not hiking, which probably cut across many of the roads we
drove. I stopped and bought a small resupply and some luxury snacks
(see title), then waited for a bit to see if maybe Babalu and Red
Stick might catch up. They did in about 15, so after they did what
they needed (resupply/snack) we navigated around the highway back to
the trail. By this time (4:00) I realized that 18+ mile shelter wasn't
going to happen, so I was praying the rain would hold out.

Red Stick fell behind again, this time to go check out an old
graveyard, so Babalu and I did the next 6 together to the campsite.
Again we had a younger person conversation, this time around the
subjects were video games and reality TV and so on. Time flew, and
before I knew it the time was 6:30 and we had made it to the campsite.
To my surprise there were some others here too, including several who
had stayed at the shelter with us last night. I set up my tent, filled
my water bladder, then cooked up some Ramen with tuna and Tobasco. I
also had a couple huge scoops of Nutella. It was hard not eating the
whole jar. It really is fantastic, so thanks Mom for sending it. I'd
definitely like another in the next maildrop!

After eating everyone was kind of hanging out/standing around, and so
we talked about this and that as it got later into the night. At hiker
midnight (dusk, which is 8:30ish right now) I decided to call it a
day, plus I was getting chilly, so here I am in my tent. This rainy
weather is supposed to last a long time, maybe a week at least, but so
far it hasn't dampened my spirits. Let's hope that lasts.

One last thing. A while back I marked in my guidebook where 1/4 of the
way is, and I just passed it today. Very exciting stuff. Phase 1 now
complete.

Total miles: 545.1

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dan ! You're still making good miles even tho the weather isn't cooperating. Any more sign ofwild ponies? I would love to see them. I'll pick up some nutella. What else do you need? Our weather here has been good but it's supposed to rain tomorrow. I hope your weather improves soon. Love you Dan! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1/4 of the way done!!! That makes me really happy. I'm glad you found someone your age to chat with, and it's interesting to hear what you talk about while hiking with people. Today I had some nutella too! Another assistant at work made nutella cookies. The cookies themselves are made with nutella and then two cookies are sandwiched together with a layer of nutella in the middle. It was SO good. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cooncat! Glad to see you're still going strong. Take it easy, man.

    ReplyDelete