Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Welcome to the Jungle!

Day 34 - 5/18/10
I went to sleep in the forest. I woke up in the jungle. An orchestra
of birds and water filled my ears. Wet green trees, leaves, and plants
dazzled my eyes. It was a very cool sensory experience.

I was packed up and out by 7:30 again, which is good considering how
wet all my things were. I started by myself, but Tourguide and Timber
(T & T), two thru's I met back at Partnership shelter, caught up when
I took a Snickers break, so I stayed with them for a few miles. We
walked through some very large farmland areas, the kind I was talking
about yesterday, so I had fun going through there. Several cows were
off in the distance, and I could see them turn and stare at us as we
crossed over this wooden ladder/platform. It was almost as if they
were saying, "What do you think your doing?"

A SOBO passed us after that, and told us of some trail magic further
ahead. That got my engine revving, so I booked it ahead while T & T
took a short break. I made it to this road, and just before it was a
sign advertising the TM. As I crossed the road I stopped to catch my
breath, and within a few seconds a truck came through and dropped off
about 6 hikers. Then T & T came up off the trail right after that. I
met all the new hikers, none I've seen before, then went back to the
trail to hopefully catch that TM before the herd came through. It was
less then 100 ft. past the road, and so T & T and I stopped. PB & J's
and cokes all the way! The sandwiches were real fresh too, probably
just delivered that morning. Most of the hikers who had been dropped
off didn't take anything, which I think is nice considering they
hadn't even hiked a 1/4 mile yet. After they all passed Red Stick came
up, and so he stopped to take a break, but didn't have a soda or
anything, he just ate some of his own food. We all left after
finishing our treats, but after that I felt very sluggish and tired
for most of the remainder of my hiking. Today in general, aside from
the trail magic, was sort of a rough day. My pack was heavy and wet
(it rained on and off again a lot today), I couldn't satisfy my hunger
all day, and there were 3 or 4 pretty tough climbs as well, especially
the last 3-4 miles of uphill. It doesn't list the name of it in my
guidebook, but whatever it is should be changed to "The Mountain That
Never Ends". I have to say though, the end of it was pretty nice, with
great views of all the moutains I'd hiked behind me. I wish it was a
litle clearer though, because I think then the views would be
spectacular.

At the top of the mountain was Chestnut Knob Shelter. Red Stick had
passed way back, so he was already there when I arrived. He said he
was going to make dinner then keep going, which I was going to do as
well, so I decided to eat too. I never eat dinner until I'm done
hiking for the day, so this was something new and different. I had
stuffing with chicken and cranberries, and I threw in some chopped
garlic too. It finally satiated my hunger.

Eventually everyone showed up, T & T, and the big group of hikers who
were dropped off in the truck. That group left pretty quickly, and
then around 5:30 Red Stick and I geared up to go. We made it maybe 200
yards before we decided to turn around and go back. It had started
raining again, and we were both tired and ready to call it a day. T &
T laughed at us when they saw us come back in. But I'm happy with the
decision, I have no regrets. I did over 16 for the day, and I can
always make it up tomorrow. Now I'm just resting, and listening to
rain pouring on the tin roof. Bed soon. Goodnight from the AT.

NOTE: I posted both today's and yesterday's adventures. Make sure to
check out both.

Total miles: 561.8

4 comments:

  1. You think you had a lot of ups and downs today, just wait until the rollercoaster my friend. Thats all I'll say! It's at the end of Virginia. God Speed, and enjoy the stone cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan! To think, "16 miles" is a distance you have to make up for in the morning! You are super man! You are so good at being flexible, I think a skill that can truly be honed and fine tuned during travel or adventure. We talked about you all weeekend long among the family and showed your accomplishments off to new people! May you have a day filled with sun and a breeze tomorrow! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey bro I hope the rain lays off a little for you it must b annoying to seal with wet gear and soggy othes all the time!! I will have to teach u the new voice
    memo thing it's pretty cool and I'm sure mom would love to get a text like that. I'll leave u a message on how to do it ... I havent had a chance to see your pics yet since I don't have the Internet and I can't see them on my phone :( I really think I would like to see those horseys too bad they aren't in Maine they seem like they would do well in the woods here maybe they hate snow??? Well bro keep up the safe travels miss ya and love ya xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bro i take that back i finally got to see your pics tonight cuz im stayin the nite at kylies! i love em bro it was nice to see all the animals and the horses look wicked fuzzzy! cute goats too :)

    ReplyDelete