Friday, May 28, 2010

The wrath of Zeus! (what did I ever do to you?)

Day 44 - 5/28/10
Stayed up late last night, about 1am, trying to get some new photos
onto the blog. I didn't get them all on there, so I had to pick a few
of the better ones I've taken in recent weeks, which included the bear
and the McAfee's knob photos. Please check them out at your own leisure.

I woke at 7:45 and ran down to the main building to enjoy the
complimentary hot breakfast buffet. It was nice to indulge as much as
I wanted, so I had cereal, donuts, coffee, waffles, a muffin, and of
course the southern biscuits with gravy. The big breakfasts are really
nice because they keep you fueled for much of the morning, right up to
lunchtime. After I was stuffed I went back to my room and took my time
packing up. It's always hard to get things situated after a resupply,
especially the ones from Mom cause she always includes a few extra
surprises, but I enjoy them so don't take that as a hint to stop. I
suppose it's worth mentioning that she had sent me two maildrops, I
don't think I was very clear in explaining that with yesterday's post.
One was there when I arrived at Howard Johnson, and the other showed
up with the afternoon mail later on.

Anyway I was packed and on my way at 11, not too bad in my book. It
was already very hot by then, and much of the trail heading out of
town was exposed farmland, so I had sweat dripping down my arms right
away. The poison ivy is starting to feel better, but the sweating adds
to the discomfort. I have this system worked out now where I keep a
bandana stuffed into my belt buckle, so whenever I need a wipedown I
have it handy right there. Been starting to wear a bandana on my head
now too, what with my hair getting longer and all, and I'm happy with
how it keeps the sweat out of my eyes. I don't really like the look
though. Guess you have to choose comfort over looks out here.

After crossing a few roads I made it to some woods with tree cover, so
things felt nicer after that. I was up at the first shelter around
1:30, and decided to stop for lunch. I wasn't all that hungry, the
breakfast was still doing me well, so I just ate some of the no-bake
cookies my Mom sent. I added extra peanut butter though, plopping down
a thick scoop on each one. I ate about 4 and shared two with another
hiker named Homebrew. I've been seeing him on the trail the past 3
days or so. A quieter guy, but nice all the same. He left, and I
followed soon after, I'd say sometime close to 2 o'clock.

I knew it was going to rain at some point today, everyone I spoke with
told me so, even the weather lady on TV. I just didn't know when it
would come. When I caught up to Homebrew he showed me a live weather
feed on his phone, and you could see it coming, a giant mass of green
slowly progressing across the screen. He said it was looking like
around 6, so I huffed it to the next shelter. I didn't want to be
caught in another rainstorm, especially now that everything I had was
clean and dry. Before I made it to the shelter I could hear thunder
far off in the distance. Very foreboding. But I did make it in time! I
arrived at 4:30, and the sound of thunder was ever closer, so I ran to
the water source and filled up quick before the rain hit. Homebrew was
at the shelter when I got back, but he had filled up at a different
spot so he was all set. I made some spuds n' baco bits, and enjoyed
that as the rain finally began to start. It was just a light drizzle,
but by the time I had eaten and cleaned my dishes it was in full
swing. And so was the thunder, what a show! The sky would fill with
light, then moments later a giant CRACK! would go off right overhead.
It was thrilling to just sit and watch, plus being all dry inside the
shelter was nice for a change.

The storm has subsided now, it only lasted for maybe a 1/2 hour, but
I'm sure more is coming. It looked that way on Homebrew's radar feed
too. It should be a fun night. Hopefully I'll be able to get some sleep.

Total miles: 730.3

5 comments:

  1. Hi Coon cat, It took a while, Dan, but we're back with you. We won't write much tonight-soon time for the rackbut just figured it was a chance to be with you agaain with a few comments. Poison ivy is tough to get over & it does not help much to sweat, so we're really admiring your will to carry on with your journey. You've been doing just amazing & You have lots of people with you in spirit.
    WE so much enjopy your blogs, Dan. It always seems that you have met someone new & interesting or seen something unusual tyhat you have many things to tell us about. Your Mom explained why no comments & we hope to be with you now all the way to Katadin. Love, M& F






    1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice that you were able to enjoy the thunder and lightning from safe within the shelter. Today was a half day at work, so that was nice. I got out at 2:00, came home, took a little nap, now I'm relaxing, and watching some Simpsons. Wish you were here to watch with me. Love you and miss you. Lani says that she misses you too, and can't wait for you to come home and play with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi bro, i have not abandoned you! i was talking about you at work tonight to a girl there, she has done parts of the trail, and is interested in leaving you trail magic when you get closer north! her friend is on the trail right now, cant remember his name, but he was at damascus when you were there about that time. i love the new pics. and i love you very much

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dan........Glad you survived that storm. when you hear about storms coming, head for those low elevation shelters. Hope Evelyn's poison ivy pills do the trick. Keep them handy for the next time...hopefully that's your last time. I'm having fun hiking with you every day thru the blog. Thanks! Love, Mom Oh good news...The celtics are in the finals! ooo ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Broski that's so cool that u get to live and breathe nature everyday!! It's amazing and fascinating to me being a science geek and all!! Enjoy the cool weather but stay safe and don't be holdin up any metal sticks in the air!! Hope ur ivey is gettin better love Sis

    ReplyDelete