Monday, May 3, 2010

Turtle in the trail

Day 23 - 5/3/10
Last night was interesting, it ended up pouring buckets, so I had to deal with a soaked tent in the morning. The inside was dry, but by the time I had it all packed away the entire thing was completely wet. I have it sitting out in the backyard of Uncle Johnny's now, airing out.

I expected it to be cruddy all day so I had my jacket on when I started, but within an hour of hiking I took all my layers off down to my t-shirt because I was sweating like a madman. After that things went swimmingly, and I met a group of six who had just started a 5-day northbound trip. I hiked with them for a bit, talking to the guy in back named Darren because he was closest to me. About 1/2 live in California, within an hour of LA, so we talked about In-N-Out Burger for a while. Man did it make me hungry.

I hiked with them to the shelter, and after that we sort of parted ways. One of them gave me ear plugs because I was complaining about how bad it can be in shelters when you have a snorer. I thought that was pretty nice. Anyway, the second 1/2 of the day seemed to fly by, and before I knew it I was almost in Erwin. The very last couple hundred yards I was walking down the slope, and right there in the middle of the trail was a tortoise or turtle. Right in the middle. I snapped a picture, it looked very angry, and 5 minutes later I was at Uncle Johnny's hostel.

I immediately unpacked my bag and layed everything out to dry, including putting up the tent, and then took a nice hot shower. Felt great. I needed to resupply, and I was feeling very hungry, so I decided to ride a bike into town instead of waiting for the 6pm shuttle they have. They provide free bikes, which is nice, but they're in terrible condition. I had this haggard hunk of metal going down the road, I must've looked hilarious with my pack on my back hunkered down on this tiny thing. Eventually I made it to Erwin, got a phonecall in with Jen, then did up the KFC BUFFET!!! My life is now complete...well almost. I had never been to one, and I don't think I will again. I overdid it a bit. Next stop was the grocery store for my resupply, and while there I decided to buy a corncob pipe and a little bit of tobacco to keep bugs away on those bad nights when I'm camped out.

Done with chores, I rode back to Uncle Johnny's, and the return trip wasn't as bad. I pulled in at 7:50, then hopped on the computer to write this. Tomorrow I'm going to zero, but not here, just down the trail a bit where I can camp out for free. I'll probably get one more shower in before I leave though. Then it's back on the trail Wednesday. I don't have my book handy, so I'm not sure at the mileage, but I did around 13+ today, and I think Uncle's is at the 340 mark. I'll update that more accurately in tomorrow's post. Feeling great!

And one last thing, I wanted to thank everyone, friends, family, strangers, all of you who leave comments, big and small. I may not respond to most of them (sorry...will try to work on that), but I want you know know I read them all, and every last one is appreciated. They keep me going, so keep 'em coming!

Total miles: 340 (+/- .5)

9 comments:

  1. Mmm in and out does sound good bro!!! I bet u were in heaven at kfc since that's ur fav ff around.. What did u pig out on??? Today me and dyer were chatting on the phone and we figured out how to connect other people so i connected Sis and she connected bell and we had a 4 way phone call I could hear everyone!!!! We will have to do that next time u have chance to call... Miss ya bro hope u have a good hiking day I the am

    ReplyDelete
  2. Animal style all the way! A burger chain that provides carmelized mushrooms and onions! Unreal! I did a 35 mike bike ride in the hot sun to walden pond with a friend yesterday in some humid hot temps and thought of you! Mostly because I talked about how I have a coon cat cousin hikin the AT who hikes 20 miles but gets his ass wooped by milk and cereal and kfc buffets ;) but really dan, you win the hardcore award! Tobacco pipes to keep the bugs out?genious. Davey crock would be so proud! Rest up and can't wait for another post! Mary , four way phone call sounds fab! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how badly you've been looking forward to a KFC buffet ever since we first saw them on the road trip. I bet you loved it. I had free in-n-out for lunch at work today. It was the building's way of apologizing for all of the construction that's been going on in the alley next to our building. A big truck pulled up and we all got free burgers, chips and sodas. No fries (hot oil in a moving vehicle just doesn't sound like a smart idea at all) or shakes :( That was the highlight of my day...that is, other than talking to you, of course! I love you Monkey! Have a nice day resting and relaxing tomorrow, you've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tidings Coon Cat ! I loved it when the little kids called you "hiker dude" ! Now they can call you hiker biker dude ! I'll be sending you a new package by Wednesday to Damascus VIRGINIA! Wow, I can't believe how far you've come. Remember to find something special for every mile you hike. Leave notes in the shelters for the friends you've made. It will pass on a smile...and give others encouragement to walk on. Love you Dan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow....2 posts!!!They said the first one couldn't be sent because of an error. I did pretty good remembering what I said... But it looks stupid now posted one right after the other. I thought the first was lost in cyberspace !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Dan, I'm still enjoying your sense of wit and humor. I wish I could have seen you riding that bike. I can only imagine how foolish you must have looked. Love your attitude on life. It is very refreshing. Take care, Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  7. just keep walking¡¡¡ great adventure ah¡¡
    i just wanna know if you made the message¡¡ sorry¡¡¡¡ ahaha well just say yes or not¡¡¡ my best wishes in this amazing travels¡¡¡

    ReplyDelete
  8. DAN GREAT NEWS I AM VERY BUSY AT WORK WILL WRITE FROM MAINE TOMORROW PEACE OUT LOVE <<< COON-CAT DAD>>>

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Thanks Dan! Now you've got me wanting an In-and-Out burger! I remember when I got to LA to visit you and Jen, the first place we went to was there. Oh well. Sounds like you're making terrific mileage. You certainly deserve a zero day to chill. Can't wait to see some of those pictures you've been taking of the scenery and wildlife. Would be nice if you could post them, but that might be a bit much. Will wait for the compilation when you are back home in LA. Will talk with Jen about a mail drop, to see if you need anything. Will be happy to put one or more together, if you want. Sounds like your Mom has that under control, though. Anyway, keep up the posts, keep enjoying the scenery, newfound and old friends on the trail, and keep safe!! Aloha, Paul and Judy.

    ReplyDelete