Saturday, May 8, 2010

I love food.

Day 27 - 5/8/10
Woke up at 6:30 to a pouring rainstorm. Thankfully it only lasted 5-10
minutes, and the day quickly progressed to blue skies and warm temps.
I feel very lucky I didn't have to walk in any rain today.

I left Vango and Abby's Memorial Hostel at 8:00. I was passed by
another hiker named Paco, and maybe ten minutes after that I see him
sort of apprehensively walking up the trail. A second later I see a
black blur run deep into the woods. Third bear I've seen now. Still
just as thrilling. Maybe 10 minutes later I started feeling really
low, almost like I was going to pass out, so I stopped and scarfed
down a poptart, 2 snickers, a pack of peanuts, and a 32 oz. Gatorade.
That did the trick. I made it to the first shelter at 11:00 and saw
Dewlap and Rainer pull in a few minutes later. Didn't expect to see
them, but they told me they did a 25 the day before. Impressive.

I left and on my way toward Hampton started craving two things. Cape
Cod chips and Ben & Jerry's. It seems like half the day I'm thinking
about food. When I first started I had trouble eating enough, but now
I feel like I can't get enough. I'm always hungry even though I'm
eating more. The hunger has definitely hit hard. I made it to the
road, 12 miles for the day, and saw a bunch of cars parked across the
way. I soon learned this was because there were some nice waterfalls a
mile or so down the trail. I met a mother and her two daughters who
were heading there named Deb, Darla, and D'Anna, the 3 D's. A very
nice bunch I ended up hiking with all the down to the falls. They also
gave me a little trail magic, some Ritz and PB crackers. When we made
it I was very impressed to see this 50 ft. waterfall pouring down the
cliffside. I could have stayed all day, but after a few pictures I
said goodbye and continued on.

At 15 miles I came to a side trail that would take me into Hampton. At
a mile long I figured it was worth a visit, and I was really craving
that ice cream. I made into town and went to Brown's, a small grocer
owned by Sutton Brown who also runs a hostel in town. Real nice guy,
very helpful. Unfortunately they didn't have B & J's, but they did
have Cape Cod chips (I couldn't believe this because I'm all the way
down in TN) so I bought some chips, an ice cream Twix, a chocolate
milk, small package of donuts, and a Pibb! I ate it all too. Hungry
hungry hiker here. Man was it good. After I was fully stuffed I got a
ride back to the trail from a nice guy named Lou Honeycut. For some
reason I really like this name. Sutton Brown actually was the one who
got Lou to give me the ride, so that's what I mean when I say helpful.
Lou ended up being a really cool guy, retired 69 yr. old. We spoke for
a while at the trailhead, just kind of lounging against the back of
his truck. He was telling me about seeing the ponies in VA and all the
hiking he's done.

After saying goodbye I was back on the trail. I pulled some serious
miles and ended at Watauga Lake Shelter, doing a total of 23 for the
day, my longest. I made some dinner, chicken and mashed potatoes (I
also put in Tobasco but quickly realized it doesn't go well with
mashers). New faces here at the shelter, nice people, a mix of thru's
and sectioners I'm meeting for the first time. Today was a very good
day, complete with a short stop in town for some treats. I'll be doing
a 21 tomorrow, then be in Damascus by Monday night.

In case I can't post tomorrow night I wanted to say Happy Mother's Day
to my mom, hopefully I can get a quick call in at some point tomorrow.
Anyone who reads this and sees her in the next few days, this includes
any of you Bridgton nurses, please give her a big hug from me and tell
her she's the best. Thank you. Good night, can't wait to see Damascus.

Total miles: 423.5

6 comments:

  1. Pibb! Keep on hiking, and keep your fingers crossed for everything I'm hoping for back here! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What in the world is a pibb ? Great miles Dan ! I can't believe you're almost to Damascus. This is translating into a 5 month trip if you keep at the pace you're going! Mary and I took M & F out for lunch yesterday for Mothers Day. We went to a place called The Bridgeway in S. Portland. It was very good. Enjoy some R &R in Damascus. I looked up Trail Days on google and this year they have free camping for hikers. You should try to enjoy the festivities a little and maybe Markus will catch up. Take care Dan. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey bro I wonder if those mainers were my friend brendens buddies! If u run into them again I beleive one of their names is Corey. Food can be a tough battle especially for u when it's not at ur finger tips! Keep eatin though u need the energy to get u through extensive days of hiking!!! Iron man 2 was awesome well have to go see it when u return bak... love ya brooooooo keep it real coonkitty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coonkitty (hahha, mary--is a riot)! I think an alternative trail name should be bottomless pit or Appalachian appetite, or Dairy Dan (re: milk and cereal episode).
    I think my father would beg to differ on the Tobasco and mashers!
    I read your blog when I came home pretty toasted from a great concert down the street from my house and I posted some ridiculous response but for some reason it wouldn't go through, so here I am, sober and starting over. Not sure if you're able to download music on the trail or if you listen to it, but this band is out of LA and their debut album rocks, check out Local Natives if you get a chance!
    Keep going!! the pic of your beard rocks!! So beastly perfect!
    The Applachian Trail is blessed to have your boots walkin' it every day!
    XO
    cuzin H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dan/Coon Cat! You're really putting down those miles! At this rate, you'll be home earlier than scheduled; not a bad thing! It's great that you're meeting so many new hikers along the way. Also great and heartwarming to hear of all the trail magic. I have to ask, as your Mom did, what in the world is a Pibb? I'm guessing that it's the beer of the area. Anyway, have a great time in Damascus! Stay safe and stay away from those bears! BTW, congrats on passing that 400 mark! Aloha, P&J

    ReplyDelete
  6. dan wow i just caught up on the last 10 days! i am so impressed! we had a nice mothers day, mary and i cooked really good steak tips and veggies for her. last night me and my friends had a paint by number party and had ben and jerrys! i cant believe your craving that cause i was too! i just finished off the new york super fudge chunk tonight actually! haha you sound awesome bro and im so proud of your progress. wish you could be here this weekend for kares grad party. gonna be fun, but i bet you are having a blast as well. miss you and love you so much!!!.

    ReplyDelete