Friday, May 7, 2010

I love balds.

Day 26 - 5/7/10
Had an amazing day, especially at the end. Weather was great once again. Woke up early at 6 and was out on the trail by 7, my earliest start yet. It was a great decision because I got to see the sunrise over several breathtaking balds. They've become my favorite thing on the trail because they open up to spectacular views in all directions. The ones today, Little Hump and Hump, were especially amazing. By far my favorite viewing spot of the entire trip so far. You could just see for miles in every direction. After I had made it up over Little Hump I stopped for a break, and as I was enjoying the view I saw a deer skip through the open field and across the trail. Another hiker had not past there more than 10 minutes ago. I love seeing wildlife out here.

Another great thing about hiking balds is you get large wind gusts that keep you cool, but not so much so that you're cold, that is unless you stop. You really start to appreciate them when you're back down in the woods and the sun is blazing and you have sweat dripping down your arms and forehead. Balds really are the best.

I ended up taking many morning breaks up on the Humps because every quarter mile there seemed to be better and better views. I also stopped for some conversation with several new hikers I had never met. One girl I spoke with on Little Hump was named Gypsy Lulu. We had a solid 15 min. conversation up there, about the hike (she's done it before) and all sorts of different things. Good times. After I was over the balds I ended up talking with another guy, Kadzu (sp?) for a few miles, again about all sorts of different things. We parted ways before the first shelter, but I do enjoy conversation on the trail every so often. I made it to Apple House before lunch and stopped for a break there, then quickly got back on the trail and on my way to the second shelter, which would be 18 miles for the day. The second half of the day wasn't nearly as exciting or visually stimulating as the first half, but it was easy hiking, hardly any steep uphills. There were lots of nice waterfalls and a nice creek though. I also received a little trail magic as I was passing this grave site. Several other hikers were taking a zero up there and had brought a case of beer with them. As I passed through they called me over and gave me one. Turns out most were from Maine, so maybe I'll catch them later on down the trail or at Trail Days in Damascus.

I was considering doing a big push today, 27 miles, but that didn't end up happening. I noticed in my guidebook there was this hostel listed just past the 400 mark, and it sounded decent, especially the price ($5 for a night!), so I went off the trail and hiked down to it. I'm so glad I did. I got a shower for $3, and a hiker named Wizard who has done the AT, PCT, and CDT surprised us with trail magic, burgers and hot dogs! I was in heaven. 2 burgers with onions, tomatoes, pickles, ketchup and 1 hot dog with the same. It was fantastic and it helped my food situation (I should be able to make it to Damascus now without resupplying). It couldn't have come at a better time. Plus they had a couple beers for each of us too. A great end to a really good day.

There's several new hikers here I've never met, a German couple (I've now met 4 Germans doing the hike) and two younger guys, plus one older guy who is a SOBO. He started in Harper's Ferry on 4/6, so he's really been pushing it. That's like 600+ miles in about a month. Anyway, I'm tired and will going to head to bed shortly, did a total of 21.3 miles for the day. Not bad.

Total miles: 400.5

6 comments:

  1. You know Dan.......I get goosebumps every time I read your blog. It SO does my heart good to see you experiencing life like this. How simple and basic your life is, to experience more than most people will ever have in their lifetime. Such an elemental way to know people and nature. You are so fortunate to have this opportunity and we are so fortunate that you share the joy with us. Thanks Dan. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Hello coon cat- It was just the best to hear that you have had some fine weather to be on the trail. It must make such a difference on your whole outlook. We both so muc enjoyed your talking =of biing on the bslds. Wathing a sunrise or sunset over the horizon (or over a land mass) is one of the great joys of life & you had a good share lately it seems. Your family owes you a trip to Fenway! Most made it just a couple days ago, You've had some fine days-the free beer -free food & meeting lots of different & interesting people. As your Mom says this is the experience of a lifetime & not very many are able to do what you are doing, Your adventure has been on many peoples bucket list I would think, Dan, Four weeks 400 miles Dan Wow! Huge! German people always seem to be avid tourists, We've seen them on most of our trips, Dan Keep happy & healthy Love M& F

    ReplyDelete
  3. DANIEL BOONE-SON aka COON-CAT COGRATS ON THE 400 MILE MARK AND ONE MONTH ON THE AT... GREAT ATTITUDE ABOUT DISCOVERY HOPE TO WRITE MORE LATER AT WORK NOW TOOK MY TEST GOT 100% YESTERDAY FOR BDO RE-CERT. GREAT SEA DOG GAME BAD BOSTON SPORTS NIGHT ALL THREE TEAMS LOST BE SAFE BE HAPPY BE HEALTHY <<>> LOVE DAD+++

    ReplyDelete
  4. 400 miles down! Way to go Danny! You're doing so good, and I'm very proud of you. I'm sure that sunrise was amazing, frame-worthy pictures I'm sure. I love you! Continue to be safe and healthy! Love, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Dan, We're back home in NH after a fine seven day trip visiting family and friends in NY and Ct. Thought of you each day of our drive home, missing reading your journal each day. Drove to Boston yesterday to join Glenn and Mary, Hanna and Kari at the latter's third floor apartment to celebrate her graduation (Magna Cum Laud) from N.E. and also her birthday. It was a huge blast attended by other graduates and their families, a couple pairs of grandparents, and some of the finest and most interesting young folks we could have wished for. Dan, we were packed shoulder to shoulder, so everyone talked to and laughed with everyone else in a great exchange of conversation. The food was astounding in both it's variety and volume.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...continued. Kari did an excellent job of planning the menu, one that would make any chef salivate. We've caught up with almost all your messages-love reading them. They let us vicariously hike along with you. We're all proud of the mileage your making. Stay well. Love, John and Natalie.

    ReplyDelete