Monday, April 19, 2010

100 miles down--

Day 8 - 4/18/10
The gods must be on my side because the weather was perfect again. I
don't know how much longer this can hold up, but I'd love it the whole
way!

I was up and out of camp by 8:15. I didn't sleep well at all because
it was freezing windy and I was on an incline that kept making me
slide downhill, but I was moving around pretty well in the morning
anyway. I did a really nice 4.5 miles with Keith, but then we split up
for most of the rest of the day until the afternoon when we met back
up. We decided to shoot for a shelter 19.7 miles away from standing
Indian called rock gap shelter, and which would be my longest day yet.
It was actually a really nice hike all day, just lots of graduals
except for a few steep sections, so we made good time. Wish I knew our
MPH though.

We made it here and I cooked up some dinner and then hung up my food
bag. I'm beat so hopefully I'll be getting to bed soon. Not sure if
I'll shoot for another 19 tomorrow with Keith, my feet are pretty
sore, but we'll see in the morning.

One other cool milestone today is that I passed the 100-mile mark on
the AT. It's crazy to think I've gone this far. Time for sleep. Good
night.

Total miles: 103.9

7 comments:

  1. 19.7 miles! WOW! Way to go Dan! At that rate you'll be home any day now! Nothing new to report of my end. Lani says she misses you and that she is very proud of you...I am too of course. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, you are cruisin! I'm watching the Sox right now they are playin their annual 11am Patriots day game while the Boston Marathon is going on. The Rays are spanking the sox in this 4 game series it's already 8-0 in only the 4th inning. Only Pedroia and Youk have been somewhat solid. The Bruins play again tonight at 7pm in their second playoff game against the Buffalo Sabres, Bruins won the first game in a great comeback, 5-3. Great to see your progress man you are doing great. I hope you continue to be blessed by the gods!
    Happy Travels!

    -Craig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction: the Bruins are in Game 3 in Boston tonight against the Sabres with the series tied 1-1.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Dan! Happy 100th mark! Not only do you seem to be making terrific mileage, but you're having great weather, too. Here's hoping both are the norm for you! I've been trying to find a composite map on which to follow you, but all I could find in the bookstore was state by state, or couple of states, together. I'll look online. Anyway, we're enjoying hearing all your details, especially appreciated the detail on your eating schedule (from earlier blog). That's one worry off our mind. Keep piling on those miles, but be careful of you feet. Can't make much ground if they're in bad shape! Keep on truckin', Dan. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Almost 20 miles today! That is almost marathon miles! And not on a nice flat street either! Be careful for your feet. They need a lot of good attention especially to depend on for your whole trip. Are you anywhere close to Wayahs Bald yet? The maps don't give a lot of detail where you are right now. It's so hard to imagine what you are seeing and doing while I go to work everyday in a place with no windows. While I am so busy every day at work, you are hiking and hiking and seeing something new and meeting new interesting people. Take advantage of this precious time to absorb everything. There is nothing too small to remember about this adventure. Love you Dan! Keep your spirit going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan , you da bomb! What kinda wildlife you seen? We're getting our map ready too, will be pin cushioning the whole thing. Followed map a bit with Mor and Far. They are crankin along with ya. Latr my man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got something for you today at work. It's a book you've been wanting for a while. Someone printed it at work and when I saw it I got so excited for you. So I made a copy for you. You'll see what it is when you get home, so no buying books before you come back! Love you!

    ReplyDelete