Wednesday, April 7, 2010

On the eve--

Well it's the 7th of April, the night before I leave to drive down to Georgia. I wasn't sure if I'd actually be leaving tomorrow because of some debilitating health issues, but I'm happy to say I've recovered and feel ready to leave and get started.

My bag is fully packed, stuffed to the brim with food, clothes, and shelter. It's heavy, heavier than I would have liked, but I should be able to handle it. The food will diminish rapidly and so I'll keep that in mind while I'm lugging it up the mountainside. I'm eager for my first day, to see how hungry I get, how tired I will be, and how badly my body will ache. In some ways I'm looking forward to the pain, seeing what my body can take.

I also want to put all this new equipment to the test. I can't say it was easy getting it all together, but I do have to give a shout out to one person who made it much easier. Ian, or Dusty as he is known on the trail, was someone I contacted with a wide range of gear and logistical questions. He completed an AT thru-hike last year and without his helpful answers to my many questions I don't think I would be where I am today, about to set off on my own hike. If anyone comes across my blog and reads this be sure to check out his website, www.thedustycamel.com. After his trip he and his hiking partners were inspired to start a non-profit, so definitely go check it out for more information. He's a great guy and extremely helpful, so don't be afraid to ask him anything about getting ready for your own trip. I know he loves to talk equipment too.

Anyway, I'll probably be heading to bed soon, waking up early to make the drive down to Virginia first and then Georgia the next day. In a few days I'll be climbing up to Springer, making my first post from the trail. And then from there it'll be one step at a time.

10 comments:

  1. DAN TRYING THIS OUT GLAD YOUR FEELING BETTER TODAY LET ME KNOW IF YOU GET THIS AND WHEN YOU COMPLETE DAY ONE BE SMART STAY HEALTHY PRAY ENJOY HAVE FUN KNOW HOW PROUD I AM OF YOU DANIEL-BOONE-SUN ALL THE BEST LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan the Man............Good luck.

    Uncle G

    ReplyDelete
  3. One step at a time - one day at a time. Stop and smell the roses. Learn about the world around you and learn about the world inside you. They are both full of gems! I love your courage and your passion! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll be following your progress with each and every entry you make. Our encouragement, admiration, and envy go with you. As someone told Paul, "be the ant" - one step at a time, time and time again, and you will attain your goal. And, stop enjoy the scenery and smell the roses along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the shout-out! I'm more than happy to help. Enjoy your hike, and don't worry about the pack weight, in the next few days you will quickly realize what you don't need. Enjoy, and I'll be keeping tabs.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  6. ENJOY your new life ! I will miss you. No more craughing..(crying and laughing... I invented a new word ! ) love you Dan. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kick butt bro I can't wait to hear about all the crazy things u encounter!! That he/she this morning was quite the character!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Dan , Uncle J and Aunt S here and wishing you all luck and happy feet. Have a wonderful adventure and if we can't be with you this is the next best thing! Truck on MAN! Luv, J and S

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ddizzle,

    Fair well my good friend. Stay safe and may your travels be most enlightening. Don't forget the teachings of good ole Wayne Dyer, as he would say, "knowing is only accomplished through ones own experiences". Take it all in and enjoy yourself, your thoughts, and your surroundings. Now, go grab that AT by the balls!

    -Big C

    ReplyDelete