Sunday, April 18, 2010

Goodbye Georgia, Hello NC

Day 7 - 4/17/10
Another great hiking day with an exciting victory I'll get to later. I
didn't sleep well because I was really cold all night (wish I had
slept with my sleeping bag) so the morning started off a little
sluggish. Got my stuff all together then it was breakfast time. Gary
and his wife made the six of us who stayed the night pancakes with
blueberry syrup, biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, and sausage. Wow.
It was fantastic. The biscuits and gravy were by far my favorite though.

After that Gary dropped us at the gap I had hitched from a few days
earlier and I started my hike with a days rest in me. Man I felt good.
My feet were tip top except for one blister on my left heel. I was
moving along really well. Plus I hiked with another guy named Keith
for quite a bit so that helped pass time. He's 27 but we had a good
time chatting about all sorts of stuff. He's a really chill guy,
traveled all over the world and stuff. Maybe we'll do up some more
team hiking tomorrow, but he's an early riser.

So the victory came around 2:15 when after busting some serious miles
we crossed the border over into North Carolina. What a rewarding
moment. I took some pictures and then went up the hill a bit to this
gnarled tree that's really famous and ate lunch with a couple others.

A couple hours later @ 4:30 Keith and I made it to a shelter we could
stay in, and which would put our miles for the day at 11.8. Decent
considering our late 10AM start. But we said let's keep going and
pushed an extra 5 miles to the next shelter.

It was a nice afternoon hike, not too many tortuous ups and downs. We
made good time and were in by 7 I'd say. I had some dinner, then we
had a terrible time trying to tie up our food bag. I don't want to get
all into it, but it was bad enough where people were laughing at us.
But hey, we both just did 16.7 miles for the day, which is now my new
record. Anyway I'm in my tent now and want to sleep. Sorry I couldn't
post this on the real night it happened. No service up here tonight.
Oh the name of the shelter we ended at is called standing Indian,
which is also the name of the mountain I'm on. Good night.

Total miles: 84.2

5 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you Dan ! Sounds funny about the tying up of your food. Had you not done it before or were you just tired? It must be awesome to think you are already in the next state. I have been busy reading 3 AT books to read about some of the adventures you will be having and the sites. I looked at Clingmans Dome from the GPS satellite and it looks like an amazing mountain formation. I wonder if you'll see it like you can from satellite. The celtics won their first playoff game and the red sox spoiled a bases loaded no out opportunity to win. It was sick. Then they lost the next game. The new players are making some very costly errors. They are in 2nd to last place next to the lowly Orioles. Thanks for keeping us updated. You are making great progress. Keep trucking! love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you found a buddy to hike with for the day, hopefully you two do some more hiking together. I ordered that map that your mom recommended, so I can highlight your route as you hike. I met some new neighbors, two gay guys that live in the very first apartment downstairs (next to that mirror that I like), one of them has a REALLY funny mustache, you'll have to see him when you get back. You'll laugh. Also, someone parked in my spot last night, so I had to park in someone else's spot and I left them an (kind of) angry note. We'll need to put together an awesome scrapbook of your hike when you get back. I can't wait! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey bro!!! Goood job crankin out all those miles that's crazy! How's you bad weight, have u noticed it weighing less yet????? I'm at home chillin with tobi and spatz they told me to say too! Love ya bro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan, John and Natalie Fortin (Mary Brewer's parents) wishing you cool feet and Godspeed on your trek north. How exciting!! Reading your blog and your journal gives us a feeling of traveling with you. We love the comments of your relatives and friends. You're making fine time, and we pray that you'll continue to meet those kindred spirits along the way. Stay healthy. Love, John and Natalie P.S. Thanks to your Uncle Glenn, I learned how to select a profile and post this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan, this is the first time I have ever read a Blog and i LOVE yours! Its Marathon Monday tomorrow a one day test of endurance unlike your months you are putting in. Garys place sounded like one of our Brewer get togethers, great food and company. Love Aunt Mary oxox(under Uncle G's post)

    ReplyDelete