Saturday, April 24, 2010

Strange Days...

Day 14 - 4/24/10
I was the first to leave the shelter, and had my rain gear on and my
pack covered because it was sprinkling in the morning. Within 15 min I
stripped down to my t-shirt and shorts because the sun came out and it
was turning into a really nice day. When I got to rocky top there was
a great view of the lower mountains and I could even see Fontana lake
still. I felt great and was highly considering going for a big 20 mile
day to get over Clingman's dome.

I continued on by myself, and noticed around 11 that the wind was
picking up. And it was getting darker. I didn't like that. So far the
weathermen had been wrong and I was very much enjoying their
inaccuracy. After I passed the first shelter and before the second one
was when the wrath of the gods came. Zeus threw down his mighty
thunderbolts (4 that I counted) and Poseidon whipped up a hurricane
storm of 40mph wind gusts and torrential rain. I only saw one bright
flash of lightning, but a huge booming crack! filled my ears a second
later. That was scary.

When I got to the second shelter I met another hiker named Lawdog. We
were going to make coffee, but I decided to move along because it was
only 1.7 to the next shelter and at this point I was soaked so I just
wanted to get 13.5 miles and be done for the day. The hike there was
actually really fun, even with the rain. Most of it was along the
ridgeline so there were these crazy wind gusts, like a last challenge
from the gods. I almost yelled out, "Is that the best you can do?" but
I didn't want to tempt them. I made it in to Double Spring Gap Shelter
about 4:30 and cooked up some dinner. Rice with tuna (I'm starting to
really like this combo) and bacon bits. Man was it good. Nice and hot.
Now I'm tucked into my sleeping bag trying to keep warm. I'm going
into Gatlinburg tomorrow for a 3 day resupply that should last me till
the Standing Bear Farm hostel. I'm also going to get some pizza,
haven't had any since I started the trip. German Marcus says he may
join me. Tomorrow I'll summit the tallest peak of the AT. Clingman's
Dome. 6643 ft. I'm at 5505 right now.

Total miles: 193.9

6 comments:

  1. Wow it's nice to hear from you, especially after getting up this morning, turning the news on and seeing the damage in the southeast of all the tornado damage. I was thinking, what can you hold onto at Clingmans Dome?I guess you did some pretty good miles considering the weather. Sox won another game last night including 2 3-run homers! Celts are playing game 4 today and are leading 3-0 and Wade got injured in the last game. All is well here. Went to see M&F yesterday and they are following you closely. Oh, by the way, after coming home last evening seeing M&F, I just wanted you to know that when I turned on to our driveway, a bear ran across the road into the woods, I saw a big group of dear grazing in the field, I scared a turkey right by the driveway sitting on a nest and there was a giant pileated woodpecker pecking on that old pine stump right by the house! Have fun in the Smoky mountains ! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAN GLAD YOU ARE TURNING INTO THE REAL DANIEL-BOONE<<< COON-CAT>>>aka MAINE MAN YOU ARE TRULY AMAZING I HOPE I GET TO JOIN YOU UP NORTH. CONTINUE TO BE SAFE,SMART, AND YOU BE FINE. I WILL WRITE MORE LATER@ WORK NOW.PEACE OUT UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN...LOVE DAD PS CHRISTIE WILL TELL YOU THE BEAR STORY FROM HER FRIEND READING MY PALM DUE TO INDIAN BLOOD..

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been really scary, up there with a thunder and lightening storm going on all around you. I just found a website that has every shelter listed and has pictures of them, so now I can see exactly where you're setting up tent! I got a pizza last night from my new favorite place. Finally found some good pizza in LA! I forgot to tell you on Friday...I found a candy store on Beverly! We went there during our lunch break and I bought $12 worth of candy! We've gotta go there when you get back. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We ditched our rain gear once we got to virginia. We knew we were getting wet, so didnt want to carry extra rain gear! as long as our clothes and pack was dry, thats all we needed.

    a good food option is a bag of stovetop stuffing, a few cranberries and tuna/chicken/etc. Mixed together, add boiling water, wait 2 minutes and youre ready to eat like its thanksgiving!

    enjoy. i miss the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dan! Great news on your day, especially after hearing of all the bad weather down your way. Don't be mocking good ole Mother Nature, though. She has a way of getting even, and we have enough to worry about without adding you to our list! Jen's right, too - we don't need to hear that you've been eaten by a bear. Would ruin a good day for all, especially you! Hope you got some good pictures of Clingman's Dome. I've got to google it when I have time. Also found a kinda good site showing the shelters. Some have pictures, so sometimes we can see what you have for cover. Also great to hear that you are on the other side of the 2000 mile mark, counting down in the 1k's. Keep the terrific pace going and you'll be back in LA with Jen in no time. But, ENJOY, ENJOY the experience! Aloha, Paul and Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan, Glad you discovered the treasure of garlic-good with almost anything, but especially olive oil. You're doing well on the food intake, a must for everyone on the Trail. I like the sounds of that recipe Ian suggested. We're packing up today and leaving in the morning for Sanford, Fl, to catch the Auto Train to Lorton, Va. What a couple of wimps we are, compared to what you're doing. We'll be passing you on some latitude along the way, and will be thinking and praying for you daily. Love, John and Natalie

    ReplyDelete