Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I walked by a cheesecake factory today.

Day 5 - 4/14/10

Just kidding, but I did pass a campsite called the cheese factory. I
guess some old settler guy used to have a dairy farm there or
something. All it did was make me crave some buffalo blasts.

Got another good jump on the day. Out by 8:00. It was beautiful
weather again, but not as hot as yesterday, which was nice. Plus
today's hike had a lot more shade.

I started alone and ran into a southbound hiker pretty early. I asked
when he started and he said he started up in Quebec last June, so he's
been hiking for 10 months! I was impressed. He's doing something
longer than the AT, taking him all the way down to the keys I think he
said.

After about an hour I caught up to two guys and stuck with them for
quite a bit. One was a thru hiker and the other was heading to NC.
They're names were Rob and Mike, no trail names yet like me, and it
was actually really nice to have some company while hiking for once.
Someone to talk to aside from yourself. Hopefully more opportunities
like that come up in the future.

We eventually got split up, they were hitching to a town anyway, and I
continued on. I decided to go for a 15 mile day to Tray mt. because
there's a shelter up there and if I made it then I could be in
hiawassee by tomorrow and get myself a nice bed.

The last 4 miles were tough but I made it. Cooked up some dinner and
hung around the camp fire with some other hikers. I was surprised how
packed it is up here. Anyway in hiawassee tomorrow I'm planning on
staying at this inn with another thru hiker named Davy who I met on
the trail. He's from New Market, NH.

The wildlife isn't all that great Mom. Everything is so dry and dead.
Most trees only have tiny leaf buds right now. You'll see some
occasional small clumps of flowers, but nothing spectacular. I have
seen a good amount of wild rodedendron plants though.

Anyway, gonna go to bed now. Good night, tomorrow a town!

Total miles: 56.5

7 comments:

  1. You sound really good Dan. I am amazed at your progress. Another 15 mile day! Is Davey the New Market guy that signed in just before you? I remember his name listed as David. I can't believe the guy hiking from Quebec! Wow that is dedication. He must be feeling good about being in Georgia. How is your food lasting? Did you bring too much to start? I am glad you can make it to an Inn for some good sleep and a shower and maybe a real meal. I love your blogs and everyone at work is so interested in your stories and life on the trail. Take care Dan. I miss you and love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dan,Mor Mor and FarFar are on faster online now so they should be able to follow you better. 56 big ones -Good for you. get yourself a night out at the next stop. Bet food never tasted so good! Ltr, Uncle J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tray mountain. Nice views. The guy you met was doing the International Appalachian Trail. Goes from Labrador to the Keys. Wish I were out there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great entry Monk, I love hearing about all the people you are running across. Hopefully you find someone to stick with for a while, you know how I worry about you being alone out there...I hope you're taking lots of pictures! Love you and miss you like crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. DANIEL-BOONE-SON AKA THE MAINE-MAN AT LEAST KNOWN TO ME AS YOUR PROUD DAD... YOU SOUND GREAT TAKE <<>>> EACH DAY AND YOU WILL CONTINUE TO BE OK... GLAD YOU TOOK THE CAMO DUCT TAPE& MOLESKIN FROM LL DARCY'S SURVIVAL KIT FOR FEET,THE BOOTS ARE GETTING A WORKOUT AND THEY AND YOUR DOGS WILL BE OK IF YOU ARE SMART,KEEP THEM CLEAN AND COVERED, AIR THEM OUT @ PM IN THE MOBILE COMMAND CENTER..PEACE OUT ENJOY CONTINUED "AT" ENJOYMENT <<< I AM GETTING TRAIL READY>>> LOVE DAD

    ReplyDelete
  6. DAVE THE ORIGINAL MAINE GUIDE, MIKE FROM EAST BOSTON,AND HAROLD FROM SEAL HARBOR ARE ALL ASKING ABOUT YOUR PROGRESS AND ARE VERY EXCITED AND GLAD YOUR ""TRAINING ""TO HUNT WITH US IN THE FALL WE WILL NEED A NEW CAPTAIN FOR OUR TEAM YOU WILL BE READY FOR A 12 POINT, 300 LB BUCK TO WRESTLE, OR TAKE WITH A BUCK KNIFE NO FIREARM WILL BE NECESSARY YOU WILL BE DANIEL-BOONE-SON FOR REAL BY THEN<<< THEY SAY TO BE : SAFE, HAPPY, PREPARED FOR EVERYTHING GOD GIVES YOU EACH DAY AND YOU WILL CONTINUE TO BE FINE JUST AS YOU HAVE BEEN DOING ...DAVE & MIKE MAY BECOME ON LINE TRAIL BACK-UP

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe you've gone almost 60 miles already, thats amazing!! Craig is very upset that he can't join you for part of the journey but I'm trying to encourage him to meet up with you for a long weekend when you get up towards Massachusetts. Be safe, don't get eaten by a bear, and we'll be thinking about you!! p.s. that would have been sweet if there was a cheesecake factory atop a mountain on the appalachian trail

    ReplyDelete