Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Got my trail name--

Day 11 - 4/21/10
So I got a trail name today, but I'll get to that in a bit. I ended up
having a really good night with a bunch of other hikers at the NOC,
drinking beers, meeting lots of new people, and even celebrating one
guys birthday. I hung mostly with Keith, city squirrel, and lady
slipper (she's a really nice older lady hiking up to Hot Springs) and
we sat around trying to think up trail names because it stinks not
having one (Keith and I both know this well). You can't really force
it though and the best we could come up with was pretty crappy.

Anyway, I got up about 7:30 today and left the NOC an hour later.
Before I left a german guy named Marcus who is doing the hike was
talking to me about the outfitter store. We were both complaining how
it opened at 10, and I was saying how I needed to buy another fuel so
I'd have to wait around till they opened. He ends up offering me one
of his, and I say no, I can't just take it, so I payed him the 7 bucks
for it. It was really nice of him to hook me up, but that's what
people do out here on the trail. It's about being generous and helping
out when someone's in need. Another example is the birthday we had for
that guy. Some other hiker cooked him up brownies in the community
kitchen and he shared them with everyone. Good stuff.

Anyway, I had 6 miles of uphill to start the day. It was a 3000 ft
rise in elevation, so it was a long slow process. I hiked by myself
mostly, but about halfway up I met a woman hiker from Florida named
serentina (serenty-na) and I chatted with her a bit. She told me
stories about going on mission trips to costa rica and stuff. She was
really cool so I hope to see her again down the road.

Later on after the 6 miles of uphill I hiked some with firefox and
hotfoot, who I think I mentioned a few days back. Apparently they're
both firefighters so they told me all about that, answering all my
questions I had. Then they asked me where I was from and I told them
Maine, so they asked what animals we have exclusively up there. I
started to tell them about the Maine coon cat, and then hotfoot said,
"well how about coon cat for a name?" I thought about it and the more
I did the more I liked it. So I'm coon cat. I like the connection to
Maine, which is something I was hoping for in my name. Plus Daniel
boon wore a coon (cap) and so on. I think it fits me.

The rest of the day was pretty nice, but the last mile was this really
steep mountain that wasn't fun. I pulled into the shelter after and
decided to call it a day after 16 miles. I met two other hikers who
were eating dinner here, Yumyum (girl from NJ) and Herro (guy from
NY). I set up my tent in the shelter after they left, but some other
hikers came in so I feel a little odd, using up a lot of space. One
guy here, Halfmoon, is from Boston. He's thru'd before and he had some
wise words.

One little random story I want to tell is about this beagle dog on the
trail. You see a hiker with a dog maybe once a day, so clearly not
many people do it. This dog and his owner were also staying at the NOC
last night. All the dogs I've come across don't have trail names, but
this beagle does. Its name is Sneaky Little Bastard. I guess he loves
to run off the trail and away from his owner. Anyway, one day SLB and
his owner were on the trail, and SLB ran off. His owner couldn't find
him, so he's yelling out the dogs name for two hours, but the dog
isn't coming. Finally he just says screw it, he can't wait any longer,
and so he leaves. A mile and a half up the trail is the next shelter,
and there sitting at the shelter waiting was Sneaky Little Bastard. I
think the name suits him. Anyway I'll be going to bed in a bit.
Tomorrow I'm resupplying in Fontana dam. Good night from the trail.

Total miles: 151

10 comments:

  1. Danielcoon cat! I like coon cat that's a good one broo! Stay warm in ur lil tent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan "Coon Cat" Boone ! Sounds perfect. Now everyone that knows anything about cats will know you're from Maine. I love the trail names especially SLB ! The stories are great too. It must make you realize that the world has so much to offer after listening to so many different stories. The community of the trail is fascinating. And how different it would be if you left 2 weeks earlier or 2 weeks later. It would be many different people! You were meant to meet the hikers you are with! There are no coincidences. Your mail drop was sent today for Standing Bear Farm Hostel. The postman said it should be there by friday. Enjoy the candy bars etc. Stay warm and healthy. Love you Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Dan for taking the time to give us all an exciting and interesting account of your experiences. I wait every day to hear about something new and different from you. Give yourself a break now and then but don't leave us for too long. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the trail name. Did you know that coon cats are known for their loyalty and longevity, besides that, cats are originally desert animals and can go without water for days, they take chances creeping on high surfaces balancing sophisticatedly and even if they fall they always land on their feet. Just so you know there is more to cats than their ability to purr. So coon cat, do your stuff. Heidi Mercer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you finally got your trail name! Today I met the incredibly old lady that lives next door. She caught me on my way to work and chatted my ear off all about how she's lived in the building for 55 years, and she just got out of the hospital, and she has helpers that come and bathe her even though she'd rather shower alone. After talking to her for a solid 10 minutes I went to work. Then when I got home tonight I hadn't even been inside long enough to take off my jacket and she was at the door knocking. So then I was stuck talking to her again! Basically, we need to move out asap! I have a feeling she's going to want to talk everyday! HELP!

    p.s. I love you and miss you...have some sweet dreams, no more nightmares!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh also, she says that the lady who used to live across the hall (you know, where $90K/year Christian Dowling and his family live) was a thief and she suspects her of being the person who broke into her apartment and stole her xerox machine and her wool vest. Are you getting an idea of just how long I was stuck talking to this lady? Horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  8. DAN THE "COON CAT MAN" FROM MAINE aka DANIEL-BOONE-SON, I AM GLAD YOU GOT A NICKNAME THAT YOU LIKE.GREAT YOUR DOING WELL REMEMBER TO STAY WARM, DRY, SAFE, SMART EACH DAY AND YOU WILL BE OK. I WOULD LIKE TO DO MISSION WORK IN COSTA RICA SINCE SOME OF THE BOSTON GOOD FELLAS TELL ME HOW NICE IT IS,AS WELL AS" THE LADY OF GUADALUPE" IS PREVALENT THERE BESIDES WATCHING YOUR BACK... I AM HAPPY TO READ YOUR STORIES AND HOPE TO TALK WITH YOU AGAIN WHENEVER YOU GET TO A GOOD PLACE.KEEP SMILING BACK @ GOD BECAUSE YOU ARE PRETTY CLOSE TO HEAVEN @ TIMES <<< PEACE OUT>>> LOVE DAD+++

    ReplyDelete
  9. COON CAT! :D That's totally awesome. Both Alan and I have really been enjoying reading this whole thing and how it's going down for you. It's amazing! You're doing so awesome. *huuuug*

    ~Molly and Alan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Coon Cat! Great trail name. Definitely fits you. Great to see that you're meeting a lot of interesting people. For sure, the world is made up of a lot of such interesting folks who've "been there and done that", and are doing it again. Paul and I really enjoy reading your entries together. You're doing a fantastic job, and making terrific progress with those miles. BTW, are you keeping count of steps with that pedometer I gave you? Really curious of how many it might take to do a thru. Paul was wondering how you're navigating, maps or trailbook or something else? Keep them coming! Paul and Judy.

    ReplyDelete