Thursday, April 29, 2010

Another 20

Day 18 - 4/28/10
I was sad to leave Standing Bear after having such a good time there,
but I think I learned a valuable trail lesson. When you stay at a
hostel or town and experience all the nice amenities it has, it makes
the next hiking day a little rough.

I left at about 8-8:30 with Marcus. I've been hiking with him for a
week now and it has been very enjoyable. We don't actually hike
together often, he's like 6 ft. 6 or something (not sure exactly
though because he always uses metric system) so he's mostly way ahead
of me, but we meet up throughout the day and end up at the same
shelters or campsites, so we've become friends. I enjoy his funny
Germanisms.

After he went ahead I hiked by myself all day, and as I said earlier
all the luxeries I had at Standing Bear sort of made the hiking today
feel like a chore. I wasn't having a very good day, my head just
wasn't in it or something. But I still made my goal and did another
20.3 mile day. Maybe I should have shot for less, but now that I'm
here I'm feeling much better. Plus the whole day wasn't spent feeling
crummy. I stopped for a break at this awesome bald called Max Patch
and talked with Marcus for a bit, told him how I wasn't feeling all
there today. After we talked I had 6+ miles to go, and my mood did
like a 180 degree change. I was energized and felt much better and had
a nice ending to my rough day. I made it to Walnut Mountain Shelter at
6:20

I quickly set up my tent (I hadn't had an opportunity to dry it out
since it got drenched the night of the 25th) and let it air dry in the
fading sunlight. That should also lighten my pack weight because now
I won't be carrying around a waterlogged tent. After that was done I
cooked up some soup and chicken and then Not Worthy, Marcus, and I
started up a nice big campfire. We hung by that for the rest of the
night, talking and having a good time. I've decided I'm going to stay
in Hot Springs, mostly because I want to wash and dry my clothes. I
haven't really done a load of laundry since Gary did it for me back at
the Blueberry Patch. But I'm not going to try for a 20 day after my
stay. I'll take it slower and learn from today's struggle. Goodnight!

Total miles: 258.7

8 comments:

  1. dan your doing so awesome! glad you have found some friends to hike with. i just had 3 nice days off, now back to work. give me a call sometime. i would love to chat. been kinda rainy up here and lousy, hoping it gets nice out. next week me and dad are going to the sea dogs! love you lots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your day started looking up! I'm sure you'll go thru a few of those now and then. And when you can rely on the kindness of some hiking buddies, it will always make it easier. Let me know about a mail drop. I just got some nutella and SB singles. Love you Dan, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you had a rough day. If it makes you feel any better I have a cold. I felt 100% yesterday, but suddenly last night it hit me out of nowhere. I wasn't able to get much sleep because of it and today will probably be miserable. Oh well. I'm very happy to see you've got some hiking buddies, that makes me feel a lot better. I love you Danny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yooo bro what's up! Sounds like ur makin good progress. I started swimming to train for my tri this week, it was tough I haven't really swam like that since I. Was in elem school!!!! Sooo thats goin good. I'm goi to be tryin out for the next season of the real world on sat they are comin to Portland!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dizzle!
    It was nice chatting with you online the other day. I'm glad you've got yourself a hiking buddy. Maybe bring him in on the HABULABS law of the Fab 5 haha. I bet you've had a lot of time to reflect on the so many great times of our grade school years. Don't forget to keep a journal of these thoughts. Can't wait to read the next update and also for the next time we get to chat. I'm off to a Happy Hour at McFaddens where Mr. Belding is making a special appearance haha I'll say hi for ya. Bruins and C's are into the 2nd round of the playoffs. C's against Clevland... and Bruins will play the Flyers.

    Stay well and think positive,

    Your bro Craig

    ReplyDelete
  6. DANIEL-COON-CAT-BOONE >>> GREAT TO HEAR YOUR DOING FINE I AM REALLY PROUD OF YOU AND WAS BRAGGING YOU UP TO DAVE & HAROLD TODAY THEY WERE REALLY HAPPY FOR YOU AS WELL. DAVE SAID DO NOT GIVE UP THE RAIN GEAR NO MATTER WHAT MORE RAIN & COLD IS ON THE ENTIRE TRIP... ANYWAY SAW CLASH OF THE TITANS WITH MOM TODAY @ MAGIC LANTERN INTENSE SPECIAL EFFECTS.KEEP SAFE, HAPPY,SMART AND ENJOY YOUR GOOD HEALTH THAT GOD HAS GIVEN YOU SINCE YOU BEGAN YOUR TRIP<<>> LOVE DAD+++

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey coon cat cousin! I am so sorry I have not written sooner but I wanted to let you know I read your blog every night before I go yo sleep. It is incredible it seems as though some of your stories don't even take place in the U.S! Guess I need to see more, but for now reading your blog is a pretty rockin alternative! This is nuts you are hiking marathons in a day.! I am going to talk about you to all my future Backroads guests! I mean, brag about u! Xoxo cuz! I love you and love what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Coon Cat- We think you are entiteled to a rough day after all the miles you have been doing, Dan.- and by the end of your day you were ok again. If you see not worthy again see if he would tell you his name & you could then tell your mom as he'd maybe not want his name on the blog. You sure have lots of people following your trip & we think most of us envy you and how you can do so m,uch already Love, M & F

    ReplyDelete