Monday, April 12, 2010

Civilization!

Day 3 - 4/12/10
Well I went for it and made it to Neels Gap, the first place you go
through with a store and hostel. Unfortunately it was full when I got
here so I'm camping up the hill. But it's okay by me. I took a shower
and ate a big meal of spaghetti and salad.

The day started out great again. I got up early again and after
forcing down a big breakfast (it's been very hard to eat as much as I
need) I was on my way. Pretty early on I took off my jacket and went
with just a tee, which felt good walking but now I have sunburned arms.

As the day wore on I was tossing around the idea of going to neels. I
really wanted the shower more than anything. So at like 4:15 I'm at
the base of blood mountain and decide to push it. Up to blood was 1.3
miles and an incline of about 900 ft. It was tough. When I finally
made it up there, it was 5:15. I really wanted that shower, and
because neels was all downhill from blood I really pushed it. This
would bring me to 15.6 miles for the day. My longest yet!

It was a great decision because I'm currently laying in my tent full,
clean, and happy. My feet really hurt again, and I've got some new
blisters, but the moleskin and duct tape from yesterday seemed to work
so I've got that going on again. Tomorrow I'm going to take it slow,
maybe just a 10-miler. My feet need that.

I also forgot to say yesterday that it was Jen and I's 3 1/2 year
anniversay so I wanted to wish her a happy anniversary.

And 1 other thing. I'm not getting great service so I'll try to make
posts when I can. I did 3 days worth of posts tonight. Not sure how
well AT&T will work up the trail.

Total miles: 30.7

7 comments:

  1. Danny,
    I Hope your feet start feeling better. Be careful around Blood Mountain, doesn't sound so serene. Happy Half Anniversary to you too! We'll have to have a make up Annual-Half-Anniversary-Gordon-Biersch-Dinner-And-Drinks-Night. I'm very proud of you and can't wait to see you again. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Dan ! 30 miles already ! I looked at the map and you are almost 1/2 way to the state line.! Amazing....Take good care of your feet. How fun is it meeting all the trail people? Any first time thru hikers like you? Take care of yourself. We love you very much !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Susan here. How exciting to follow your progress. Sounds like you are doing great. What a wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love reading these! keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the post's Dan keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yaaay bro u rock! When things get tough, just think.... Puppies and kitties puppies and kitties... That's what I do anyways, always brings lite to the situation, mite not work for u but give it a try! Keep rockin out out there!!! Love Sis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, I love this ^ haha. Think about our bulldog!! That'll keep you going! It'll all be worth it!

    ReplyDelete