Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tired. Go figure.

Day 4 - 4/13/10
Very tired. Blogging is tough after a days worth of hiking, but I'll
try to give an account of the day.

I didn't sleep well again. Partly cause I was parked on a steep
decline and kept sliding down all night. The other reason was some
local hicks that lived right next to mountain crossing decided to play
on their homemade bucket drumset in the middle of the night. Lame.

I woke up early again and was out by 8:15. I decided to do a shorter
day and thank god I did. I only went for 10.8 miles but the sun was so
brutal it felt like twice that. Some guy I passed said it was over 80
degrees. I don't doubt it. Plus there's no tree canopy which means you
have pretty much no cover from it all day. It makes you down water,
which actually caused me to run out, but I was only 3/4 mile from the
next shelter with water, and it was all down hill, so I was lucky.

Nothing too exciting to report today, met some new people, took some
pretty good pictures, so all in all it was a good day. A guy who
camped near me last night is at the same shelter as me tonight. His
trail name is Kentucky. I only mention him because he is hilarious.
He's about 50-something, and tells some funny stories.

Side note: One thing I've noticed is that every red leaf I see looks
like poison ivy and every curvy stick in the trail looks like a snake.
I think I'm paranoid. But some guy only a hundred yards or so behind
me saw a rattle snake. I guess I just missed it.

I'll be going to bed soon so I'll say good night. I miss everyone back
home and the feeling of being clean. I guess I'll just have to get
used to it.

Total miles: 41.5

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dan...Boy you are really doing well. Tell us about the terrain and wildlife and more about the people. I liked hearing about the local yokels and their antics although I can tell you didn't appreciate it! Let me know what you call the places that you are stopping at. I like to watch the progress on the map. What pace are you walking? Are there people that seem to go ahead easily or are you leaving people behind? Are there a lot of thru hikers where you are now? Any nick name options yet? Have a restful night! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats the shelter where Andy and I met. If you can make it 15 miles tomorrow, you will have one of the best camping spots on the southern part of the trail!
    Enjoy the adventure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bucket drums should remind you of living on Boston and therefore make you sleep soundly. I'd rather you be paranoid about rattlesnakes than careless and get bitten by one, so keep being paranoid! I hope your feet are feeling better, and I look forward to seeing your nice farmers tan!
    Love, Jen

    ReplyDelete