Monday, April 26, 2010

It's all downhill from here...

Day 15 - 4/25/10
Really it's not, but I did summit the highest point of the AT
(clingman's dome) so in a way it kind of is.

There were a couple things I forgot to mention in yesterdays post. One
was about that last 1.7 miles on the windy ridgeline. It was so smoky
and foggy that you couldn't see more than 5 ft on either side of you.
That whole last stretch looked like it dropped off into an abyss on
both sides. It was neat. The other thing I forgot to mention was that
Marcus gave me a clove of garlic and I cut it up into pieces and put
it in my rice/tuna/bacon bits medley. It made that meal, so much so
that I'm going to start buying garlic when I can for future dinners.

Anyway, it was an interesting night after everyone went to bed. I was
actually pretty warm considering how wet I had gotten, so I fell
asleep fast. Sometime in the middle of the night I was woken up by
pouring rain and bright flashes in the sky. I was on the second level,
and this shelter had clear plastic roofing that acted as a skylight,
so I could see all the lighting. I can't remember how much there was,
I just know it was a lot and I was counting after each flash to check
the distance. I was a little paranoid because in 1980 two hikers died
at that shelter after being struck by lightning. Of all the nights I
had to stay there! Thinking about that plus doing the counting game
kept me up for quite a while. But I did manage to get some sleep.

Hotfoot, firefox, Marcus, and I all got up at 6 because we knew we
wanted to get into Gatlinburg, and there's a free shuttle in at 8:30,
12:30, and 4:30 provided by the NOC, who just opened a new outfitter
store there this year. We were aiming for the 12:30 and therefore had
to get up early. We were out by 7 and made it to Clingman's dome
around 9. Unfortunately it was still smoky skies from all the rain the
night before so we couldn't see anything. I'll just have to go back
some day to see what I missed. It was a pleasant hike to Newfound Gap,
the place where the shuttle gets you, nothing to strenuous. One thing
I did notice a lot alongside the trail were these 10 ft. tall walls of
dirt and rock and roots formed out of fallen trees. The tangled roots
ensnare lots of rocks and sediment, and even though they fall over it
all stays intact, making it look like a tall earthen wall. I tried to
snap some pics to show later, but they don't really do it justice. I
don't think my explanation does either.

When I pulled up out of the ridge into newfound gap I was shocked how
many people were up there. At least 100. Bikers, tourists, hikers,
etc. Way more than I'd imagined. I also got my first taste of trail
magic there. This guy named Jason who thru hiked a few years back had
set up a small card table and had all sorts of goodies on it for us
weary hikers. PB and jelly, bread, soda, chips, cookies, apples,
bananas, and cookie dough! I pigged out, esp. on the cookie dough. I
had run out of food earlier that morning so I was really hungry,
having only eaten a snickers and a Danish for 11 miles worth of hiking.

Soon the shuttle showed up and us 4 went down to Gatlingburg. Not as
wierd as I thought it'd be, but I only saw the edge of town, I didn't
go down the whole strip. I took a FREE shower at the NOC, bought my
resupply at a small store across the street, and then went out for
pizza with the other 3. We went to this place called The Best Italian,
and started with these awesome garlic Parmesan rolls. I had a
pepperoni pizza as well. I ate half then took the rest with me to have
for dinner up on the mountain because I wasn't going to stay in town.
Marcus and I said goodbye to hotfoot and firefox, and then we hitched
back up to newfound gap. I got a ride with a guy named Bill from S.
Carolina. He was really cool and we talked all about the Smokies on
the way back up the mountains. We actually had to stop for a traffic
jam because a bear was down this hill off the road and everyone was
stopping to snap pictures of it.

Bill dropped me off, and as I was prepping to head back on the trail
at least 3 or 4 different couples stopped and asked me where I was
going. When I said Maine they were all super impressed. It was fun
fielding all the questions and it made me feel like a rock star. Some
just couldn't believe I had come from Springer. I did another 3 miles
to icewater spring shelter, and it was packed when I got here.
Absolutely no room in the shelter. Marcus and I had to set up our
tents up a hill, which honestly I don't really mind. I had my pizza,
went down and hung by the fire a bit, and signed the shelter journal.
I'm about to go to bed now, I'm trying for 20+ tomorrow so I need my
rest. What a day. I couldn't ask for a better one.

P.s. If anyone wants to send me some
Nutella and several packs of those starbucks via instant coffee mixes
(not decaf!) in a care package that would rock. I've heard nutella is
like gold out here on the trail and those SB via packs i've had before
and really like. I miss drinking coffee.

Total miles: 207.7

6 comments:

  1. You and your coffee...the coffee maker is getting pretty lonely and bored without you. Was the garlic cooked enough with your limited means of heating things? I can't wait to see all these pictures! I miss you lots and can't wait to hear from you! Love, Jennay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan! Too bad about the lack of view from Clingman's Dome. I guess you could return there for a good look at the view, some time in the future with Jen - you CAN drive up there, can't you? Glad you were able to get to town to resupply. Can't imagine a day hiking on a snicker bar and a danish! I'll ask Jen how one goes about sending you stuff. I was wondering about about that anyway, since I recall your Mom saying something about that in one of her comments. Anything in particular that would be welcomed? I would hate to send something either worthless or heavy to carry. Anyway, another great post from you. Your plan to do a 20+ day is mindboggling to me! I'm sure you won't have too much of a problem with it, though. Keep on truckin'. Aloha, Paul n Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan the Man! Just think....you've just finished an unbelievable 1/10th of the trail! That's incredible. You're right on the schedule and it sounds like you're enjoying every minute of it. I'm still jello I'm not there but we "-rents" live vicariously thru the exploits of our children! The Bruins just took Buffalo in 6 games, on to the semi finals. Sox are flip-flopping with Toronto tonite, B-13,T-9 at top 6th. Life as you see just keeps moving along, just like you. Have a good night, don't pitch camp on a slope and have a beer and pizza on me! Uncle J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi bro! Just droppin in to say hi. I look forward to reading your blogs after my crazy days at work, I wish I took time off so I could have experienced this crazy adventure with you. Sounds like a blast! Love ya bro

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dan We guess you could see old timers stuff creeped in when I sent two comments -thought the first didn't take. you have progressed so fast we can just not believe how much trail you have done & you seem to be really enjoying every day of your tour. You were in the tail end of the 200 mile line of tornadoes that ripped up Mississippi with all that lightening.Love, M& F

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Dan. This is Molly's fiance Alan. I've been following this blog since Molly mentioned it and I just wanted to say that I'm really enjoying the updates of your adventure. Epic stuff!

    ReplyDelete